April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (FallCreekFan, Tim in PA, 1 invisible), 445 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,202
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

You really think he can raise the dead ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can do jOe. I like the idea of the sixteen gauge barrels if they can be balanced out to feel like the originals. I also think, go with mono steel barrels and have someone do a decent browning job on them. Then shoot the thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo.Newburn, here are my thoughts which are worth bugger all but may help ? About 7 years ago I wanted a nice percussion hammer gun for a little black powder fun, I bought it, in original case with some tools and the oldest shot pouch in Christendom, I even shot a couple of pheasant with it but the "breech blocks" , (I donīt know the proper words, maybe Salopian or others can help) were frozen solid so cleaning through solely the barrels into the nipples was all I could do. Before the next season I took it to a friend in a big London gun house and asked him to get it appraised, I didnīt want to blow my hand off. He asked me to visit him and he showed me a dent in the left barrel I hadnīt even noticed. Repair would have cost more than I paid for the gun (GBP1400) so I took it home and thought OK, antique. Funny thing, two years later the chap phoned me up, there is a famous Rolls Royce built for a Maharajah in India that originally had six gun holders on either side which was being used in a film and they needed period guns to go in the car. They paid me GBP2000 for the wall hanger. Thats my advice to you, hereīs a couple of pics of the old Harkom

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

All it takes is money, most anything is possible......

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
All it takes is money, most anything is possible......

SKB
Why couldn’t a machinist take that Boss, cut the barrels off at the end of the chambers and then use the stub as a pattern to create an identical monobloc in modern steel (similar to how stocks are duplicated). Next take the remaining sawed-off barrels and duplicate them in modern steel, but add a sleeve to the end of each barrel to reattach it to the monobloc, then the barrels could be regulated, re-ribbed with the original ribs, rebrowned, and the gun put back into service with barrels made from modern alloy steel. I’m not a machinist, is what I’m suggesting prohibitively expensive, or just a dumb idea.
Steve
George I know you want to redo them in damascus and I don't blame you, I was just think this could be a solution if the damascus chamber walls were going too thin to sleeve on damascus tubes.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It could be done, but as others pointed out, that stuff is very spendy.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm considering ALL of the great advice I'm getting here. Still do not have the gun in hand and Boss & Co is still getting up the history; when I inquired again they assured me I'd not been forgot and that information would be forthcoming.

Maybe the original buyer was the Maharajah who bought the Rolls Royce used in the movie Mike Baily sold his Harkum for. Maybe they'll make a sequel and desparately need my Boss.

One friend provided a nice thought; at least it will not become near the money pit that refurbishing an old boat would be. My 1962 Boston Whaler Montauk, presently at the repair shop, comes to mind. I like that thought, at least the Boss will not need a motor!

With the extra problems that will no doubt accrue to a damascus sleeving, I'm wavering toward a down guage sleeve, probably to 16, with steel tubes that can be browned to maybe match the chamber-block. The jury is still out on whether the old pinfire chambers will support a sleeve, but if they will steel tubes will make for an easier job...Geo

PS: Whatever else I do, if I do get it sleeved, I'll plan to shoot a limit of doves with it at least once every year!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You still don't have it ?

(if you had bought that thing from me I'd have over night'd it free of charge and prayed like heck you didn't send it back.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
Funny thing, two years later the chap phoned me up, there is a famous Rolls Royce built for a Maharajah in India that originally had six gun holders on either side which was being used in a film and they needed period guns to go in the car. They paid me GBP2000 for the wall hanger. Thats my advice to you

I think what you had and what George bought is like comparing Pamella Anderson in her prime to Miss Piggy after Miss Piggy had been spinning on a rotisserie for 8 hours.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After 6 pages of jOe's comments, I'm beginng to think that maybe he is a bit envious of my gun. If you really just don't care for the gun, why not come on out and say it?...Geo

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.