May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, old colonel, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 532 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,440
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few comments on another thread has me considering the plethora of gunmakers still active across the pond, Scotland and England to be precise. It is astounding to me that there are as many as there are, still in the business of making fine doubleguns in an era in which they are certainly not the gun of choice for most hunters/shooters. I think it is not arguable that there are many more autoloaders and pumps sold than doubles. Nevertheless, I have quickly thrown together a list of makers in England and Scotland, alone.

Please feel free to contribute any you know of that I missed, and also point out any that may no longer be in business. I am sure our neighbors "to our east" will have much more information concerning this than I.

A.A. Brown & Sons
Anderson Wheeler
Asprey
Atkin, Grant & Lang
Boss & Co.
Boxall & Edmiston
David McKay Brown
E.J. Churchill
Holland & Holland
Holloway & McNaughton
John Dickson & Sons
J. Roberts & Sons
John Wilkes
Longthorne Gunmakers
Purdey & Sons
Watson Bros.
William & Son
William Powell
Westley Richards
William Evans

There was also a gunmaker by the name of White that was in business a few years ago. I remember a forum member from New York that owned a fine restaurant that ordered and received a matched pair from them. He has not posted in some years, as I recall. Cannot remember his name.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Nelson

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nye and Moncrief

Sorry,, I misread. THis is not a current maker.

Last edited by Stallones; 07/14/12 02:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wayne Nish. Actually contacted me about a matched pair of Darne guns before he bought the Tony Whites.
Last I heard, his restaurant in NYC (Nish) was closed up and he was cooking in Japan, if I recall correctly. He was having an ugly life segment and moved on, I think. I wish him well, wherever he might be.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

ELDERKIN & SON, I have a matched pair in 12 bore.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple of notes:

Holloway & Naughton (no Mc, just Naughton)
John Wilkes (think they are actually closed)
William Powell (are they still active?)

There are also a number of trade people that we know of:

Dig Hadoke
Toby Barclay
"gunman"

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 07/12/12 11:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

W.W. Greener for sure. Not sure if you should add Webley but why not.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

James Crockart & Sons, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland

http://www.jamescrockartandson.co.uk/newcrockart.html

Regards - Ian Forrester
Sidelock
Sidelock

Graham macKinlay, Glasgow.

An absolute gentleman.

http://www.gmackinlay.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.