May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Robert Hudson, Dan S. W., earlyriser), 891 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,399
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have had a number of guns put back on face over the years using either a new pin or tig welding the hook. None have ever addressed the fit of the rear lug on the circle. It seems to me that a good contact here would do more to relieve strain on the hinge pin than any other repair. What say ye?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Boxlock
Boxlock

When the gun is new it would have/should have a bearing on this surface.Its called the 'draw'.When the gun is rejointed the barrels move backwards towards the breachface and the back lump bearing comes off the draw.Some top end shotguns and double rifles have a detachable draw that can be replaced to bring this bearing back each time it is rejointed.Otherwise you just have to leave it.Most guns seem to hold up ok without it and some italian O/Us have even eliminated it.I dont know how long a large double rifle would last without a good draw bearing though and I would tend to have a look at some way of making a detachable draw in the action.It doesn't have to be large and its recess can be spark eroded in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

There is an excellent piece on this exact subject in a back issue of SSM. I just reread it recently, but cannot find it again. Perhaps someone else will know which issue.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, in my book "Gun Craft" there is a chapter specifically on this topic -- "Jointing and the Circle." (Pugwash is correct in his comments about rejointing pushing contact off the circle on traditionally made guns.) I worked with 5 of Britain's best actioners to write it, and it has diagrams drawn by gunmaker (actioner) Bob Turner with the dimensional tolerances for SxS shotguns and double rifles. It also has photos of the replaceable hardened insert that some gunmakers now use to keep bearing on the circle if a gun is rejointed.

As Stan notes it is adapted from an article I wrote for SSM. If you can't locate a copy, I'd be happy to e-mail you a copy of the chapter. PM me with your address, please.

Sidelock
Sidelock

July/August 2010 issue of Shooting Sportsman has the article by Mr Venters.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.