April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, wvklw, buckstix), 435 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#284166 07/07/12 10:13 AM
Old Joe Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Conventional shot gun stocks have less drop at comb than heel. I have heard of parallel comb stocks with same drop at comb and heel.

How about stocks with more drop at comb than heel? Sonething like 1 3/4 at comb and 1 1/2 at heel? Are they common on trap guns and similar? Theoretically at least that would allow the stock to recoil away from the cheek. Is there a name for this type of set up? Thanks for replies.

Joe

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard it refered to as a reverse comb stock, as you allude.

As to why it's not more popular, I think it has to do with physique. This sort of stock, while it would definitely lessen any impact with the cheek, would simply not fit many folks. Not many people with shoulders higher than their cheek.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember that back in my youth, they had a late Parker GHE 16-gauge with the reverse comb in the Safari Room of the Sporting Goods department at Fredrick & Nelson department store in downtown Seattle. Lots of people looked at it, but it took a long time before anyone bought that odd stock. Nowadays they'd probably be fighting over it as a rare "collectible"!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the ones that slope toward the front have a MONTE CARLO comb. you see them on trap guns a lot, and on hard recoiling sporting rifles, like the old Weatherby magnums.

But they usually have an area between the rear of the comb and the heel where the comb abruptly drops back down and blends into the heel, allowing for a normal sized buttplate, otherwise the buttplate would be very tall and ungainly.

Is that what you are referring to, or one where the top of the comb is a straight line to the heel?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Geo Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

For a number of years I shot a Winchester 101 "American Flyer"
Live Bird combo which had a reverse comb stock. I like a stock just a tad higher than most, and this one, combined with it's high ramped rib suited me to a tee. Had my gunsmith rework the stock to provide some additional cast-off.
Shot it very well at Trap, Skeet, Sporting and 5-Stand.
Compared to a standard 101, I felt it had considerably less felt recoil.

A number of other seasoned shooters shot it well & without difficulty ....and weren't even aware of the reverse comb.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.