April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marks_21, ClapperZapper, Argo44, bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,128 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This may or may not have been done to death... if so I apologise.

I've a couple of old damascus barrelled guns I'd like to renovate soon. I'll be doing it myself, as the guns aren't worth the expense of professional help, but I think I'd also learn a lot and gain a lot of satisfaction from the process. Part of that will be re-browning the quite faded, blotchy, scratched damascus barrels. About the only chemical soultion I can find locally is the birchwood-casey one, but I'm not sure if this will have the desired effect of bringing out the damascus patterns, and I'm not sure the tried and true solutions available elsewhere such as the UK can go through the mail. Does anyone else know or have experience? Or will I have to get some recipes out of Angier etc and talk to a chemistry guru about mixing something up for me?
Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not tried it yet - but there was no issue having Dyson's Damascus Barrel Browning solution mailed to the USA from the UK

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/METALWORKING_PRODUCTS.html

also if you watch ebay you may be able to find the Double Gun Journal volume eight issues 2 and 3 - they contained the late Oscar Gaddy's detailed articles on refinnshing damascus barrels

Last edited by OH Osthaus; 06/29/12 07:32 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do a fair amount of Barrel browning using various solutions, including Dysons. I have tried the Birchwood Casey solution and it is terrible for our purposes in my opinion.It may be ok for a muzzleloading steel barrel just to make it brown, but for damascus and twist bbls it is not suitable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cadet,
The best commercial solution is the Mark Lee solution. I believe you can buy it from Brownells.I have had great results with it on twist and 2 and 3 bar damascus.
Brownells site http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=11270/Products/Blackening-Browning

Last edited by Stallones; 06/29/12 01:16 PM.
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your help, all.
The Brownells / Mark Lee may be very good, but it "Cannot ship outside Continental United States. Ship UPS Ground only within U.S."
Dysons have just got back to me saying they can send via surface mail.
I think I have the Gaddy articles at home, too.
Does anyone have any idea how much I'd need for 3-4 barrel sets? 200ml bottle enough?

Last edited by cadet; 06/29/12 07:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dysons is not as strong as Lees solution. Use it full strength
as it is much slower, I believe it is the old Greener formula
diluted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had good results with Mountain Forge "Barrel Brown and Degreaser"
So easy to use and comes out a nice colour.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mountain Forge "Barrel Brown and Degreaser"
Can be sent via track of the wolf to New Zealand,so it should not be a problem to you either I would think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Track of the Wolf sent me mine by surface mail USPS to me in Canada, with no problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.