April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, Momslefever), 440 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cal #284050 07/06/12 01:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My advice is to locate a few Gun Catalog reprints from the period of time you want the Shotgun and Cartridges from and perhaps books about shotgunning from that time period.

You can even find them online.

Find the type of gun that fits your story and that will drive your cartridge selection etc.

Last edited by postoak; 07/06/12 01:43 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Cal #284058 07/06/12 02:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the requirement is an American gun of the turn of the century, the Parker guns are clearly the most recognized as a high end gun from that period. Not to say other makers didn't make as good a gun, but for a novel, using a Parker of a higher grade like an A1 grade or such. I recommend you check out some examples of Parkers on their collector site.

http://parkerguns.org/

Click on the "Parker Grades" link on the left column and then the "view _____ pictures" link under the grade you are interested in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
(C) An owner of a condom factory in CT and a Parker Trojan Grade,

Amusing.
You might not see the hidden " Carl Yungian synchronistic motif" but like a rip tide, it is there-- But, we could also bring along the distaff side, aka- :The Fairer Sex" into this, and make her the evil doer-- perhaps a Jane Austen theme-- Lady Eleanor and her Rigby? Beware her "rising bite" ey wot??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Cal #284069 07/06/12 03:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, that's one from my professional field smile

OK, Cal, the first question is, if it is "a" gun, or "the" gun. In other words, does it serve any other function except being the murder weapon? For example, it can illustrate how all-knowing the detective is (choose the most exotic brand), it can provide a clue to the hidden secret in the past (throuhg association with a certaing country - Lebeau, for instance, is a good trail to Russia, since they were the choice of the last Tsar - or a part of the US where a particular sport was popular, like suggested above), etc. If you're planning anything of the kind, then specify it.

If it's just "a"(n) thing the bad guy used, then it's considered better to use the most known brands, the ones that your future reader (and editor) is likely to recognize. Parker is the safest bet.

As for the ammo, was it stored with the gun or did the criminal bring his or her own? If the former, make it a paper shell of the most recognizable brand sold in the period, if the latter - just have the detective say something like "the shell is useless, they're sold at every sporting goods store". (There can be more to it here, e.g. ammo can provide a clue to the detective, like, the job was done with a vintage shell, and the detective assumes the murderer found it in the gun, but later discover a period article describing the original owner competing in a trap event, using a diferent brand of ammo, and so realize the murderer brought an old shell to stage it in a certaing manner, etc.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
Hey, that's one from my professional field smile

OK, Cal, the first question is, if it is "a" gun, or "the" gun. In other words, does it serve any other function except being the murder weapon? For example, it can illustrate how all-knowing the detective is (choose the most exotic brand), it can provide a clue to the hidden secret in the past (throuhg association with a certaing country - Lebeau, for instance, is a good trail to Russia, since they were the choice of the last Tsar - or a part of the US where a particular sport was popular, like suggested above), etc. If you're planning anything of the kind, then specify it.

If it's just "a"(n) thing the bad guy used, then it's considered better to use the most known brands, the ones that your future reader (and editor) is likely to recognize. Parker is the safest bet.

As for the ammo, was it stored with the gun or did the criminal bring his or her own? If the former, make it a paper shell of the most recognizable brand sold in the period, if the latter - just have the detective say something like "the shell is useless, they're sold at every sporting goods store". (There can be more to it here, e.g. ammo can provide a clue to the detective, like, the job was done with a vintage shell, and the detective assumes the murderer found it in the gun, but later discover a period article describing the original owner competing in a trap event, using a diferent brand of ammo, and so realize the murderer brought an old shell to stage it in a certaing manner, etc.)

I agree, Comrade- with your choice of a Parker- well recognized name in Amerika for: (A) fine shotguns (B) Hotel bakery rolls and (C) the late Algonquin Club "Chair-Lady' of the sharp wit and tongue, Dorothy-- Didn't Czar (Tsar?) Nicky have a Parker 12 A-1 Special en route before the lads lined him and the family up against the wall and used their fine German made Mauser C96 pistolen (aka- Broomhandles) to shorten the career of the Romanoff dynasty? And being shot in a basement in Einerkatenburg (sic) is surely one way to "die-nastily" is it not. How some ever, when we get into the ballistics of shotgun shells, make and loading may not be as important as with a center fire cartridge fired from a rifled barrel- ballistic tracing a tad bit dicey from a load of bird-shot, I should think.

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/06/12 07:09 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Cal #284111 07/06/12 08:38 PM
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cal,
Roger Lake has written a book "Paradox" detailing a niche Holland and Holland shotgun/rifle. In the last chapter he details how a few of these high grade guns were sold to the British Admiralty in WWI for air to air combat. The gun fires ammo (a devastating round) unique to the gun and or unique to the request of the Admiralty.

Not in the book;
During WWII a fighter pilot risked his own life protecting a damaged transport ship from surface fire from a U boat flying cover until help arrived but had to ditch his plane in rough seas as he had used all his fuel. Along with accolades and medals this pilot was given one of the Holland paradox guns and he brought it home to North America.

Paradox ammo

Last edited by PM; 07/07/12 04:56 AM.
postoak #284249 07/08/12 04:25 AM
Cal Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Unfortunately, neither any catalog I have found nor any on-line listing has anything to say about the critical issue of chambering. I am not quite ignorant enough to have a circa 1900 gun firing a 3 1/2 inch magnum shell, but I could easily make a mistake almost as bad.

Cal Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The Turnbull reference you gave gave me some hope, as it actually gave the chambering. Unfortunately, it was for a 14 gauge gun.

Cal #284252 07/08/12 04:52 AM
Cal Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I appreciate the effort each of you has gone to to try to solve my oddball problem. I will be out of the country for the next three weeks and will be unable to see any more replies. When I come back I hope to find that some kind soul has identified a particular model 12 gauge and a particular chambering to go with it. Not too expensive, please. It is one thing to abandon a $1500 gun and another to abandon a $15000 one.
Cal

Cal #284254 07/08/12 06:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about a drilling where the shooter puts at least 2 shots into the victim? One a shotgun blast and another a metric caliber. This could point the detective to someone of Germanic background or someone who served in the war ie: GI bringback or someone with a known collection or someone with access to a collection -- the Butler did it with the owners own gun,

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.