April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (griz, eightbore, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb), 1,313 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#283670 07/03/12 09:14 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We have had the distinct honor of having an Army Wounded Warrior come out and shoot at our club for the last two months. Captain Ryan Keogh was wounded in Afghanistan two years ago. During his year long stay at Brook Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston, TX, he took up Skeet as a new hobby. There was a gun club right out the gate and he was able to shoot during his rehab. Instead of feeling sorry for himself or giving up, he found a new sport that he could do as most of his previous hobbies were no longer an option.

After he left BAMC he came back to Fort Benning, GA and returned to his unit, the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Next week he goes back to BAMC for about 8 months for another round of surgeries and rehab.

We had him out at the club today and I enjoyed shooting a few rounds with him. Since he and I both are Wounded Warriors, we are going to put together a Wounded Warrior Skeet Shoot at our gun club later this year. The Soldiers will come from the Fort Benning Wounded Warrior Battalion. Ryan is going to come back during his rehab and speak to them about the opportunities that are still out there for Soldiers who can no longer do the things they used to love. Below is a couple pictures of Ryan and I shooting today.

By the way, we were both shooting doubles. He was shooting a 16ga Citori Lightning and I was shooting a Rizzini Vertex Sporting.

Ryan on Station 1

Ryan on Station 4

Me on Station 5

Ryan (on the right) and myself (on the left) after a round this afternoon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great work Chris. The Wounded Warrior Project has been a God send for so many returning from recent wars and it is people like you that make the whole thing so valuable. Appropriately tomorrow I will have the great pleasure and honor to celebrate the founding of our great nation spending the afternoon with current soldiers, their dependants, former soldiers and retirees.

Tonight I am reminded of the words of George Orwell. "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."

May God bless all those that serve and especially those who have given their life and limb in protection of our still great nation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris

That's important work and I'm glad to see you involved. It's inspiring to be around men and women such as the Captain.

TwiceBarrel

Amen, brother.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing Chris! Job well done! So, I see you decided to go with the Rizzini. Whatcha think so far?

Adam

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Adam,

It shoots great. It took a few rounds to get used to the 32" barrels but it hits em hard. It came with seven Pure Gold chokes. I use the -5 Spreader in the top barrel and evaporates the targets on Station 8.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris and All,

Wounded Warrior sporting events are popping up with more frequency these days and I hope it gains momentum - in fact, I'm sure it will.

There will be another Wounded Warrior clays shooting and released pheasant hunt in New England in September this year. More details will be given as they solidify.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's great to hear. It takes a little work to put one together but is by no means impossible. I would encourage anyone who is a member of a local club to bring the idea up to the club's BOD. There are also organizations and professional shooters who will help with instruction, loaner guns and even assist in getting ammo donated for the event. If anyone needs help with one feel free to email or PM me.

As an example, the event we will do later this year, some of our corporate members and their staff have volunteered to assist with anything we need. Such as loading machines, serving lunch, taking photos, clean up and even helping to push guys in wheelchairs around on the fields.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for making it happen and being able to share it with others.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years back, on the annual Iowa Governor's Pheasant hunt, the governor invited a group of Iowa National Guard soldiers, all of whom had served in either Iraq or Afghanistan (or both). The hunt usually consists of 60-75 hunters, divided into teams of 5 or 6. That year, each team had a soldier as one member. One of the best ideas they ever had.

The Wounded Warrior program is absolutely great.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

L. Brown,

I play in a golf tournament just north of Atlanta at White Columns Country Club every November. It has the same concept. They put together foursomes with three club members and a Soldier. I have played in it four out of the last five years, the only year I've missed is during my last trip to Iraq in 2008. I have played with the same three dirty old men and we have become great friends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kudos, Chris, to you and all others involved. Great show of support.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

good job!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.