April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (battle, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 422 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a closet full of bird vests. I have beaten the price barrier because Orvis and Beretta have had outrageous closeout sales in the Washington, DC area over the years. I also had the advantage of the "Filson employee program" as a seller of their products. Side by side events are great places for bargains also. My favority blaze orange vest is a Beretta product.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Filson, the Tin Cloth vests are still made in the USA.
I have switched from oiled Tin Cloth to un-oiled Tin Cloth for all my Filson.
You can ask for any of the oiled to made from un-oiled even if not cataloged.
The un-oiled is more supple and comfortable.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite vest is a discontinued Cabela's cotton/nylon blend that is light, roomy, cool, and quick drying. I have tried for years to find another that I like as well, and nothing comes close. I have a Pella and it is well made, but hot. The Columbia Cockbird and its variations are pretty good and distribute the weight well because of the shoulder construction, but also hot. Columbia keeps changing their vests for no apparent reason (fashion?) so I'm not sure about the current ones. All three of these vests have separate water bottle sleeves and zippered or velcro compartments for all the stuff we carry on long hikes. I have also bought some less expensive vests and had a tailor shop add pockets, sleeves, and straps in an attempt to duplicate the old Cabela's vest. I don't like strap vests because I find that I get snagged in heavy brush and my gun mount can be hindered by clothing under the strap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the better full vests I own was a Cabelas "Dog Handler " vest from about 7 yrs ago. I'm guessing it was a Pella or Columbia, probably the latter. It has since been replaced with something made in a different way with different materials.

Still, the pockets on most vests are the weak point, IMO. A simple snap or small patch of velcro are not adequate for my desires. Shells fall out or brush/thorns get in as I climb around the brushy hills. Then, when you return to the truck and put your vest away, the metal spring clasps keep the shells from falling out when stored in the vehicle. A metal spring clasp is the way to go for me.

That vest Dennis mentioned is a great vest for the long distance, isolated area hunter. Chukar hunters would be well equipped with those vests, IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My absolute favorite is the Filson original vest. Many, many pockets. The ones made from tin-cloth are indestructible but can be a little too warm and heavy. I had them make me some from their lighter weight cloth for me and my wife and are very happy with them. They will make whatever you want out of whatever you want.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I bought mine many years ago from the Dunn's catalog. It's a strap type vest and has served me well for many years of rugged use in Vermont and Pennsylvania. My only regret is that I should have bought several of them for now I have to fight for it's use with which ever son I have along with me. Oh, I should add that it's not much for warmth but when Grouse or Woodcock hunting warm clothing is not a high priority for me. Good lock in your search.

Vern

Every true upland hunter should, in his lifetime, have one good shotgun and one good bird dog.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
One of the better full vests I own was a Cabelas "Dog Handler " vest from about 7 yrs ago.

I bought one of those in about that same time frame. Empty, it weighed about twice what my previous Cabela's vest weighed, and that was before it was soaked with sweat. After I weighed it, I sent it back. I called Cabela's corporate office to see who made the previous vest that I liked so much and they wouldn't/couldn't tell me anything. That's when I ordered the Pella and Columbia vests, but I don't wear them much because they are just too hot for the desert. Dove season is almost here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Filson strap vest and their original hunting vest. A Brady game bag and a well worn LLBean vest.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Well, I suppose I'm not much different than most. I have about half a dozen or two laying around. We should all get together and have a booth at a Pheasant's Unlimited dinner.

My latest and most favored choice is the very pricey strap vest from Orvis. The full name is Waxed Cotton Strap Vest and they are normally $199 but it's your lucky day and they're a mere $159 today.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?...subcat_id=22671

I have not found another vest that has the spring metal open/close feature that this vest has on the shell pockets. I hunt hills, often very steep and brushy hills. I want to keep my shells in the pockets and the twigs and burrs out. This is the best rig I have found.

+1. My original is all but worn out, and I replaced it with another Orvis, slightly updated, at one of their discount sessions for $50. Like Chuck said, I really like the spring loaded pockets, not much bulk, nothing to scratch guns. I think I've OK for about 8-10 years...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Filson all the way. strap vest or hunting vest. I have the tin cloth hunting vest and absolutely love it. i believe they make one out of the shelter cloth as well that is more supple out of the box.
Made in the USA is the only way to go. buy it once, buy it right and never have to replace it.

Last edited by WoollyBugger; 07/03/12 05:17 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.