April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Southern Sport, David Williamson, fab500, Tim in PA, Momslefever), 1,064 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 30 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 29 30
JM #28287 02/27/07 10:16 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just heard on the radio this morning that in the U.K. there is a group called, "Mothers Against Knifes". They supposedly have the support of several constables and wish to ban certain knifes in the U.K. P.M. Tony Blair apparently loves the idea and has pledged his support. Now that the Brits don't have their gun, they most likely will not have their knifes either. Probably started over an innocent comment made by an outdoor writer while fox hunting.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

IM,
Don't worry, they only want to ban assault knives.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as they don't ban double barreled knifes, it's O.K. with me.

-Shoot Straight, IM
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

jack, here's a copy of the letter to Sen. Dodd:

The Library of Congress,
Washington D.C.
July 12, 1968

Hon. Thomas J. Dodd,
Chairman Special Subcommittee To Investigate Juvenile Delinquency, U.S. Senate, Washington D.C.

Dear Senator Dodd: your request of July 2, 1968 addressed to the Legislative Reference Service, for the translation of several German laws has been referred to the Law Library for attention.
In compliance with your request and with reference to several telephone conversations between Miss Frank of your Office and Mr. Fred Karpf, European Law Division, we are enclosing herewith a translation of the Law on Weapons of March 18, 1968 prepared by Dr. William Solyom-Fekete of that Division, as well as the Xerox copy of the original German text which you supplied.
The translation of the Decree implementing the Law on Weapons of March 30, 1938 and the pertinent provisions of the Federal Hunting Law of March 30, 1961, is in preparation and will be sent to you as soon as completed.

Sincerely yours,
Lewis C. Coffin
Law Lirbrarian

JM #28297 02/27/07 10:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A personal note about Jews: I've taken up writing of a book my father started on the Jews in 1993, the year he died. We worked on it together, he writing, I dogging files. Jews are as disparate in opinions as others but liberty, freedom, the individual are their taproots. Those countries that were good to Jews---and none opened their doors wider than the United States---prospered and those who didn't declined, in a general sense. Israel today struggles as we do to balance liberty and security, freedom and fear, knowing liberty must triumph always to preserve its soul.

Last edited by King Brown; 02/27/07 11:34 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:

I will weigh in on this again. I am home with a sick 2nd grader, so I have a few moments.

Anecdote:

Growing up in Dallas in the late '60's, early '70's, my soccer coach was a man named Mike J. Mr. J. had a long string of blue numbers tattoed on his left forearm. Fascinated me. I asked him once "what are those tattoos". He grimaced in reply: "My inventory control number". Found out later that he was an Auschwitz survivor. Stuck with me quite a while. Like, to this very day.

In Jr. High, I was friends with his daughter, and visited their house on occasion. He and I talked about life before and during the war. I asked "why didnt yall fight when the Geheime Staatspolizei came for you?" I remember him looking at me for a long time before he responded, in heavily accented English :

"Ve hatt no ARMS! "

I remembered that.

Deb and I were playing ping-pong one evening and I wound up stepping on the loose ball. The spares were in the game room closet, and I was asked to get a spare ball. When I opened the closet, I noticed in the back corner was a military rifle. Being a 14 year old "gun-guy", I readily identified it as Mauser Kar 98. On the shelf next to the ping-pong balls was a box stock GI .45 auto, very much like the Government Model my Dad kept in his sock drawer. Next to the pistol were 2 boxes of ammo- 8mm and .45 ACP.

I wonder why this Jewish guy, who didnt hunt or fish or target shoot, kept a Mauser and a .45 in his closet? Maybe he didnt like the idea of : " Ve hatt no ARMS!"

End of anecdote.

To some folks this is just a meaningless story. Would the genocide have occurred had the Jews of Germany and East Europe been armed? Who knows. But it sure is more difficult for the Einsatztrüppen to carry out their activities if the objects of their attention shoot back. And even if their efforts are unsuccessful , the Untermensch could at least die like men, and not like cattle.

I dont look for black helicopters, and I believe that vigorous political activity will preserve our freedom, as it has in the past. I hold fast to the rights guaranteed me under the Constitution, and when well-meaning foreigners suggest to me that those rights are really fungible, I truly can say: "ya'll ain't from around here". To the citizenry of this republic who think rights derive from some royal largesse, I suggest that they re-read the Federalist Papers and take a remedial 8th grade civics class. The whole genesis of this American polity is based on the idea that some rights are natural, and do not depend on the State or Crown for their existence. Unfortunately, this is the way the English think - there are no rights in England which do not exist unless Parliament says so, and they exist only as long as Parliament thinks they are a good idea. See the English Bill of Rights of 1689. It got incovenient, and was repealed. Now they debate whether trial by jury should be repealed.

I am sorry certain folks find my black rifle troubling. Hmm... on second thought, no I dont. Freedom is uncomfortable, and the only folks who think the world can be one giant Kum-ba-ya group hug is Al Gore and the Europeans.

I guess I'll keep my black rifle and my other guns. The neat thing about a right is that I dont have to justify it to anyone. And any time I might be tempted to waffle, or to slide down that slippery slope of: "just give up some of your rights and we promise... promise... promise to respect you in the morning..." , I remember my soccer coach with the tatooed numbers on his forearm "Ve hat no ARMS!"

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."

JM: The letter only says Dodd got a document translated. It doesn't equate to proof of "near verbatim" grafting of Nazi law into the 1968 Federal Firearms Act.

Some of the 1968 requirements you cite - record keeping, restrictions on types of firearm, restrictions on individuals, etc. - were in the U.S. National Firearm Act of 1934 (predating the Nazi law) and Federal Firearms Act of 1938 (contemporary with the Nazi law). Gun laws in Germany in the 1920s were far worse.

From the day he took power, Hitler had all the legal support he needed for confiscating any and every firearm in Germany. Gun registration and gun owner permits had already been required for years. The police and Gestapo were confiscating guns from Jews as early as 1934.

The 1938 Nazi weapons law was in some ways more liberal than the 1928 German weapons law under the Weimar republic (which, ironically, was intended to disarm the Nazis). Restrictions on long guns were dropped, persons holding a hunting license did not need a weapons permit, age of legal firearms ownership dropped from 20 to 18. The Nazis were strong promoters of firearm training, especially for young people. Their young people.

Sen. Thomas Dodd was a drunkard, a crook and a gun-grabbing fool. But he wasn't so stupid that he had to crib gun control laws from the most hated regime of the 20th century. It doesn't pay to underestimate your enemies.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were a robber or burglar, I would choose the home with no gun to break into.

If I were a government and I knew my target had weapons, I might think twice before messing with them. I might still do it but I would think twice before doing it. If I were on the fence regarding the decision, I might decide against it because of the weapons.

As long as I have weapons, I could ban together with others and cause a lot of chaos (sound like the Middle East). Having that knowledge a government decision might be swayed.

If it was a strong decison, then I have no doubts the government would proceed and the guns will make little difference. Just an annoyance to them.

So many guns, so little time!
builder #28319 02/27/07 12:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
For a board that is concerned with those guns least likely to be targeted by anti-gun organizations, what are your opinions on the restriction of semi-automatic, plastic rifles and shotguns?

Since you asked, someone is incredibly naive if they don't think eventually the number will come up for every type of gun. Pandering or attempting to sell out someone else because they own different firearms is nothing short of cowardice. I consider most rifle owners brothers. I wish it could be said of a few more upland hunters and shotgunners.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On that subject, I am often struck by the thought:
How many of the " ban them - get the guns out of the house" cabal, would be willing to put a sticker on their front door and windows:

"Gun Free Zone - No guns in this home- Occupants totally unarmed"

Again, just a thought.

Of course, most of those folks have private security guards, or police officers as a "security detail" at their beck and call.

Just another thought.
Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Page 22 of 30 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.