April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Dan R, Marks_21, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 995 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kiwi
Kgl. Kais. would probably translate to Imperial and Royal because the Austrian Kaiser Joseph was King (Koenig), of Hungary and Emperor (Kaiser) of Austria. Hofbuchsenmacher means gunmaker to the royal court.

I think it is a bit unlikely that Barella from Berlin supplied to the Vienna court. And the Austrian K.u.K is usually pronounced as "kaiserlich-königlich".

After 1871, the Germans also had their personal union of a Prussian king and a German emperor - and for a stout Prussian, his king would always come first.

Regards,
fuhrmann

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1860 Heinrich (0.?) Barella moved to Berlin and received his royal appointment/warrant as könglich Preußen Hofbüchsenmacher und Kommissionsrat, the latter being an honorary title supporting public welfare and the arts. His 1st appointment looks to have been under Fürst Joseph( Joseph Franz Maria Anton Hubert Ignatz Fürst und Altgraf zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Dyck(9.04.1773 - 3.21.1861), who expired in 1861 and the he took up with the court of Fürst Alfred joseph Klemens zu Salm Reifferscheidt - Alfter being sourced by both from 1860 - 1865. Early on his title was Königlicher Hof-Büchsenmacher while he was employing the Fürst(Prince) Pless system.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heinrich Barella expired in 1893 so by the time this example was peddled, his son Max Barella and other Nephew August Barella were doing the sourcing for their retail outlets in Berlin(W8 - Französischestraße 25/26) & Frankfurt. I think the advertising on the tube of "H. Barella Berlin Könglich Kaiserlich Hofbüchsenmacher" was used as they touted their clients like the King of Italy & Romanian as well as the Tsar of Russia and other affluent folks in Austria, Indian, North Africa & Turkey. In 1867 he divulges that he was sourcing tubes in the raw state from Belgium and components from England to "make by hand" in his shop his upper rung offerings peddled from Behrenstraße 29. His nephew Heinrich Leue, along with Fritz Timpe, advertised as Kaiserlich Französische Hofbüchsenmacher till they split the sheet in say 1876?
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281832

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

And one point I forgot to make, which I think to be quite telling, is that these courts they were supplying were non-reining or non-governing houses and this Fürst Joseph cat was a botanist:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_zu_Salm-Reifferscheidt-Dyck

I'm sure some of the others they mention were on the throne like Königlich Preußen Kaiserlich Rußland but the entity that actually dubbed many of these waffenhändlers were more or less figure-heads than bona fide rulers. So it was really just fluff & advertising. I believe the advertising on the sporting weapon of interest was a truncated version of H. Barella Königlich Preußen(Preußischer?) Kaiserlich Rußland HofBüchsenmacher Berlin. In 1871 he acquired some the title Kaiserlich-Königlicher Hofbüchsenmacher in Berlin, so I wonder if from 1865 - 1871 he was without title?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter,
Don't be too quick to replace the stock,it may not have been cutoff.Such stocks are not common,but are not unknown either.I think Axel has a similar one.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's mine. I wish it would get here soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike:

That's a spectacular rifle. What caliber?

Rem

Kutter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you everyone for the info and comments.

Der Ami,,I won't be replaceing the stock (thank you Whitey for the offer though).
It's too nice of a piece of wood underneith the grime. I do believe it is cut down though.
Close inspection of the bbl ahead of the forend tip and of the muzzle shows the old wood line and a muzzle cap image from wear/use.
I'd thought about a splice to bring it back to length. Done back a bit further at the swivel point would help in disguising it.

But splices on long thin pieces usually end up showing themselves no matter how well done initially.
The purpose made diagonal splice with spacer isn't something I like either though I've seen it on a number of older mannlicher stocked rifles.
I'll probably re-do the forend to a standard 1/2 stock style and either use the existing lug as a front swivel base (something I've done before on a sawed 1908 M/S carbine).
Or place a separate base further out on bbl and elliminate the original swivel lug.

Sharps4590..The bbl I believe is original. It;s serial # matches not only in number but the stamp style is the same as on the action and other parts. The front edge of the receiver ring is filed to shape for the raised rib.
I'm sure Steyr would supply most anything the customer would want or pay for like any other company of the time.
Usually raised rib bbls on European sporting rifles are most commonly seen as 1/2oct or full oct styles. This one is full round tapered with a small section at the breech a slightly larger diameter. Something different, but very European. Top rib is matted. No ramp at the front sight.
The front sight insert keys into the rib directly from the front.

Kiwi..Still haven't done a chamber cast,,maybe today. Almost hot enough to melt the cerrosafe on the sidewalk.

Mike Harrell..Beautiful M/S. They don't get much nicer looking than that. I like those sights.

Raimey..Do the proof marks tell you that it was proofed at ZM? Thus the comment about 'sourced from a mechanic in the ZM area'?
I don't know how that all worked,,
From there,,on to Barella in Berlin to be retailed or perhaps sold to a waiting customer?

Proofs and the whole 'Maker to the King' thing are just a blur to me. Too confusing when I try to sort it out. The mechanics I can deal with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, the date stamp and the ledger number was used solely by the Z-M facility save a couple of months from September 1923 to say March/April of 1924 when the Suhl proofhouse for some reason used it. Yes, Barella phoned or telegraphed a subcontractor in the Zella Sankt Blasii or Mehlis area and placed the order more than likely after he had a client place an order with him. Images of any other marks might just point to that maker.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

It was retailed by Westley Richards and the caliber is .375 express.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.