April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess free trade is good, the politicians keep telling me so. However when we no longer make anything what will our people do for a decent living? The answer is we will be forced to accept much lower wages and there will be a quickly widening gap between those with money and those without. So after about half a century we will once again be a cheap labor market and able to rebuild what we already had in the way of industry. Sure seems there should be a way to stop the hemmoraging of industry and jobs from this country. I think we need to put the vast majority of politicians from both parties out of work and find those willing to work together for our betterment versus keeping a particular party in power. Start by finding ways to reward businesses that employ our people versus selling the cheapest goods. Right now the rewards are working against us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"It's your "US" dollar until you spend it.
After that it becomes a powerful tool in enemy hands."

A quote from my friend who just plain hates imports.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This country could not survive in the future if it didn't trade. It was not without trade in the 19th or 20th centuries. The question is not whether or not to engage in the world economy, it's how to do it well.

So, if those of you that chose to abstain from buying imports, eat (especially vegetables or fruit), drive a car, watch TV, go to the movies, travel by air, or possibly do any other thing I can think of, will just stop doing all those things and you can be "import free".

Not practicable? Maybe better to learn how to be better at international trade than the next country? Ya think?

The US is slipping rapidly in the standings for educational levels of our population as compared to other countries. That's a bad thing, maybe a precursor of the economic future awaiting the US. Our standing is not other countries fault, it's our own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ever wonder how many politicians are in public office to defend and manage their own interests in buisness in overseas production? How many of them are into oil or have ties to large businesses that have taken our jobs out of the country. What did NAFTA do for the USA? What did it do for those who made money on it?

I have a pair o chineese made high end loudspeakers, designed by a Brit, made for an American company. They compare favorably, in quality of workmanship, with any in the world. Remem, these are the folk who produced Ming Dynasty china and ezquisate ivory inlay work.

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

I go with Chuck. Every nickel we can beg, borrow and steal should go toward educating our workforce. In Canada, we're seeing many big resource industries doing well but falling behind every year in R and D and productivity. US does much better because of what is happening in its universities; it's hanging in on its brains, its business schools particularly. It's not IT, either. Lots of computer guys around. Business is making the jobs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Cal Tech types are more than holding their own in this world. Its our worker bees who can get to work on time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
how do you define a legitmate remington 870? I would hope you are not reffering to the exspress models....total crap no matter where they are made. One of the few guns I see regularly that come from the factory broken. Now a vintage wingmaster is another story completely. It is a sad story regarding the quality of product that is currently being produced by Remington.
Steve

Steve-

You might be right, but I have an 870 Express combo (slug and regular barrel) that works flawlessly. I shot it a lot in both forms (shotgun and slug) and have taken two deer with it as a slug gun. I purchased it new about 5 years ago. Nothing wrong with it mechanically and while the wood reminds me of wood that the American manufacturers were putting on guns back in the 1970s (read nothing to brag about) and the finish is utilitarian, the shotgun is tough as nails and a reliable as a hammer. It may not have as nice a fit and finish of the older guns, but it is pure 870 in my book and it was very affordable and has screw in chokes and vent rib (features not found on some of the older guns).

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Chicom made AK47" Sorry Salo. Iraqi AKs are mostly Bulgarian and Romanian; cheaper than Norinco.

The Chinese will be a formidable economic competitor to the west, especially the EU. I notice many of my favorite folks here consider China an enemy. The troubles in the ME don't seem to register as high on their threat list. Anyway, the Chinese privately guffaw when they hear western complaints of "unfair trade practices"...they still remember the Opium War - you know where the gently caressing Brits forced drug trade on China with naval cannons, shore raids and looting. Then returned a few years later to seal the deal with French, US and Russian backing. More recently they remember the Brit's last minute whining about Hong Kong citizens losing their right to vote under the PRC. Unfortunatly the loving Brits forgot to provide sufferage to Hong Kong residents for the first 150 year of their rule and only corrected this oversight 3 years before the scheduled handover.

I agree China is the only country on the horizon that will challenge the US hegemony (a hegemony I support and enjoy) but our only option is to battle them on the economic front. We need to play the Great Game much better than we have been and much much better than the Brits did.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's hope the Chinese remain our friend, because they are the ones financing our budget deficits, ie the Iraq War and social programs by buying our T-bills and bonds.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.