May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (DaveB, Fudd, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,707
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, no, Mark. You HAVE to shoot a Ljutic or a Kolar or Alfermann to have fun. A side by side is just too.......well...old fashioned or something. HA!

My last round of sporting clays was with a Parker 28 ga repro for me. I didn't score as high as the "Master Class" sporting Clays guy I was with.......but I had every bit as much fun.
Some trap shooters are pains in the rear, with some being unable to hit a bird, and some that are absolutely deadly.
It takes all kinds, and, by the way,I just took back my old job as Manager of Lincoln Trap & Skeet Club. We have Trap, Skeet, 5-Stand and Sporting Clays. It is a busy place, and you see a lot of darn good shooters, but very, very few of us old coots with side by sides.
Have a good one, old friend:
Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Come to the Fort Bragg Clay Target center. You will see vintage pumps, SBTs double traps on the line as well as the assorted 'new' trap guns. We all respect one another and generally have a good time. A few of us have been shooting wobble trap. At 22 yards for the moment but will try longer yardage as soon a 90% hit average is attained.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK. I responded to the OP's topic as best I could. Now I'll respond to the secondary toipic running through the thread.

I must be a nutty old fart since I like the vast majority of trap shooters I've met; can't say the same for most Canadians. And I don't think I'd get along well with Texans who have the attention span of a 4 year old.

I hunt birds with a SxS that was likely sold in a hardware store. I've never had a gun fitting, much less ordered a shotgun, but I can hit almost everything I shoot at and don't make excuses for what I miss. I'm not averse to backing up claims of my shooting prowess with cash bets.

That's probably crass, but then, I despise brown likker, don't know what the hell single malt means and get nauseus at the smell of cigar smoke. If it intrudes my space and I can't escape it, I get downright beligerant.

English setters are OK, though I've never met one with more personality than your average zombie posesses; the 2 I hunted with for 15 years certainly didn't. I've gathered that other pointing breeds aren't even worthy of mention, so I won't. I'm apalled at the thought of anything around a dog's neck that has a battery in it. Still, they'd be my first choice for catch and release with a butterfly net. Now that I'm an anal retentive old fart, it seems unsporting to me to actually shoot a bird rendered completely defenseless by taking away it's surprise flush. IMO, shooting pointed birds is not that far removed from ground swatting, something I also tried in my misspent youth and now regret. Nowadays, I only shoot flying objects for fun. Competing is fun for those who can....for others, not so much.

Last edited by mike campbell; 06/19/12 07:25 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike you need to continue that discourse. I had a hard time gettiing up off the floor I was laughing so. But then I have a hard time getting up anyway...Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

From Gough Thomas (Shotguns and Cartridges):

Quote:
An outstanding case in point has recently come to my notice. It concerned a one-gun man who shot game successfully but was no good at all at trapshooting, with its more deliberate technique. But when he fitted a supplementary, superelevated rib to his gun for trapshooting only, he became the star performer at a well known Continental gun club.

If anyone has pics to share of "supplementary, superelevated ribs" they have mounted on their sxs, I am sure they will be favorably commented upon.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ask and thou wilt receive

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wobble is the best kind of trap, Walt.... other than maybe doubles.

We have a Pat trap with a vertical unit, and we throw a wide, fast target.

The ideal is 80 yards in still air.

They come out like a laser, but they give you a true line.

The hard angles at low elevation will bring you out of your shoes.

We shoot mostly 19 yards at that, and a 25 isn't uncommon.

Of course, some of us shoot from the top of the picnic table too... maybe 32 yards back... with poorer averages but more fun. You can see the time of flight very distinctly when they do break 1/4 of a second later.

Ease up on trapshooters guys, we like to have fun too.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

Nice find - that looks like a good way to lose an eye. The BTFE appears to be on steroids too. I wonder what formerly wonderful SLE is enduring that humiliation.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Doverham #281917 06/19/12 10:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's he do, launch grenades with it?

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

Can't quite figure that one.
Are there two ribs there at different elevations, ?
Volley Sights went out of style in WW1

The hat thing I've seen before.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.