May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (R. Glenz, Sun Dog, AGS), 695 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#281197 06/11/12 11:39 PM
bmcd2 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I need help with information and value on an Ithaca double barrel, serial number 463xxx and marked "28" on the inside receiver flat. The barrels are marked "4" and "4". It has a three position safety/barrel selector and ejectors. The right barrel says "New Ithaca Field Grade." It seems to have most all of it's blueing and the receiver is only worn a little on the bottom edges where it was carried. The wood and checkering are sound. I posted some pictures (I hope) and can take others if needed. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks, Bruce - bmcd2@newnorth.net

http://www.pinegroveestatesales.com/guns/Ithaca5.JPG
http://www.pinegroveestatesales.com/guns/Ithaca1.JPG
http://www.pinegroveestatesales.com/guns/Ithaca3.JPG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have the Winter 2000 Double Gun Journal, please take a look at my article on NID 28 gauge guns. I collected small bore Ithaca's for many years. Your gun is made somewhere around 1935-8, maybe sold a little later as these guns were very slow sellers during the Depression. Only 400 or so were made in all grades. About 295 were Field Grades. Your gun is nicely optioned with SST, SAE and a factory beavertail forend. The choke markings 4 and 4 mean full and full--however many of the 28 ga guns were marked 4 and 4 and then bored out to suit the buyer. You did not post the barrel length. The majority were 26 inch guns. 28 inch guns are very rare! I would need to see more pix, but your 1st picture looks like the colors have been redone! Perhaps the the gun has been fully restored. I can't tell from the pix you posted. Your gun is valuable and I would place a retail price on the gun of $5-6K. Let me know if you need any further info.

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll see if I can help by posting the pics.

The ejectors and factory single selective trigger would make it a rare find in a already rare 28 ga NID configuration.

The bad news is that the frame has been torch colored to fake the factory color casehardening. To get to those colors with a torch, the temperature had to get up around 500-600F. The resulting problems are:

possibility exists that the internal springs and other parts have been tempered and may cause problems. Only a teardown and examination of the parts for heat tempering will determine this.

The frame casehardening will be lost to the torching.

The stigma of torching a gun devalues a gun significantly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even in the last years at Fall Creek water Power Lot No. 6, the custom shop torched guns sent back for refurbishment. Happened to a frind who sent back a 3E vent ribbed 20-gauge for the addition of a beavertail and a refinish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall a 3E 20 ventrib at Kesselrings a few yrs ago that was pretty used up. I passed on it. Probably should have bought it.

Researcher, Have you been to Kesselring's lately?

Sidelock
Sidelock

chuck: your automatic assumption that the case colors on this gun were restored using a "torch" is quite presumptuous and indicative of ignorance and prejudice...and your assertion that the internal parts may have lost their hardness, assumes the receiver parts were not removed prior to the recoloring process... another absurd assumption on your part, don't you agree?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
possibility exists that the internal springs and other parts have been tempered and may cause problems. Only a teardown and examination of the parts for heat tempering will determine this.

I think Chuck was quite clear in his assessment.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
chuck: your automatic assumption that the case colors on this gun were restored using a "torch" is quite presumptuous and indicative of ignorance and prejudice.

Ed, as usual you are full of crap. There is nothing "automatic" about Chuck's observation. Examination of the pics indicates a torch recoloring. It is a reasonable conclusion, and probably correct. Nothing presumptuous about it. Nor is it indicative of ignorance or prejudice. It is, rather, an indication of knowledge and some level of expertise. We have no idea at this point whether the recolor was done at the Ithaca factory using their standard low-temperature coloring method, or if it was done at high temperature by some hack. If the recolor is Ithaca factory work, the gun should be OK. If it is a hack job such as some of the guns you seem to sell, then the jury is out as to the condition of the internals. If a high temp recoloring then the case hardening is probably toast (pun completely intended).

Sidelock
Sidelock

"We have no idea at this point whether the recolor was done at the Ithaca factory using their standard low-temperature coloring method, or if it was done at high temperature by some hack"...

...my point exactly.

Last edited by ed good; 06/12/12 12:53 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.