April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, ChiefC, FlyChamps, Argo44, 2 invisible), 908 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,822
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

J.R.B., it may be that you have a long lost cousin in Wisconsin??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
J.R.B., it may be that you have a long lost cousin in Wisconsin??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Maybe if his ancestory goes back to Saxony, Germany. This "real" Baumgarten is standing up, but I don't know squat about sperm oil.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone looking for a great read related to the collection of [sperm] whale oil in the early 19th century should pick up a copy of "In The Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex". Inspiration for Melville's great novel and packed with facts about the oil and methods used by the guys from Nantucket back in the day as well as a awesome story of survival at sea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was under the impression that because sperm whales are on the endangered species list that commercial trade of its oil is banned, or am I all wet? If it is indeed 'banned' is this stuff from Brownell's new stock, or is it old pre-ban stock, or is it really sperm oil at all?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Must be old stock. I couldn't find any on the Brownell's site unless it's hidden somewhere.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say it is....All the men brave and daring enough to milk male whales are dead and gone.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I'd say it is....All the men brave and daring enough to milk male whales are dead and gone.

Or pull their teeth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I read somewhere that the Sperm Whale is the only whale that can dive to the deepest of depths "(9,800 ft)"....might be the reason for such a remarkable fluid such as spermaceti in his snout.

"The term candlepower was originally defined in England by the Metropolitan Gas Act 1860 as the light produced by a pure spermaceti candle weighing one sixth of a pound and burning at a rate of 120 grains per hour. Spermaceti is found in the head of sperm whales, and once was used to make high quality candles."

"Spermaceti is insoluble in water, very slightly soluble in cold alcohol, but easily dissolved in ether, chloroform, carbon disulfide, and boiling alcohol. Spermaceti consists principally of cetyl palmitate (the ester of cetyl alcohol and palmitic acid), C15H31COO-C16H33.

A botanical alternative to spermaceti is a derivative of jojoba oil, jojoba esters, C19H41COO-C20H41, a solid wax which is chemically and physically very similar to spermaceti and may be used in many of the same applications. Esters of cetyl alcohol and jojoba oil are used as a substitute for spermaceti."

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The sperm whale dove to those incredible depths in pursuit of the giant squid. My grandmother had a piece of the wax like spermaceti. It was in her sewing kit when I was a child. Family legend was that it was found washed ashore in Bermuda where she was born but it was most likely from a candle.

GLS #281041 06/10/12 03:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
The sperm whale dove to those incredible depths in pursuit of the giant squid. My grandmother had a piece of the wax like spermaceti. It was in her sewing kit when I was a child. Family legend was that it was found washed ashore in Bermuda where she was born but it was most likely from a candle.

Your grandmother knew what she had. It was most likely Ambergris from a sperm whale. It is know to wash ashore in the Caribbean. If you knew how it was produced by the whale, you might have wanted to wash your hands after you handled it.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.