April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hoot4570, Jtplumb, ClapperZapper, Jimmy W, gasgunner, 2 invisible), 879 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,259
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
The Fox does not look bad at all...the Parker is bordering on atrocious.
It just goes to show you how subjective this can be. I particularly liked the Parker, particularly how the case colors filled in the unengraved areas.

Steve

Before I became a geologist I studied sculpture for several years while in college. It was just the above type of subjective remarks that turned me off to trying to make a living as an artist. I was young at the time and hadn't realized that you can't please everybody.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Before I became a geologist I studied sculpture for several years while in college. It was just the above type of subjective remarks that turned me off to trying to make a living as an artist. I was young at the time and hadn't realized that you can't please everybody.

Yet another reason why being an artist is one of the most difficult of all career fields to excel at, and yet one of the most rewarding as well.

Love the engraved skeleton plates too btw. Wow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Bob is a lot like me, we engrave to please our selves and the customers who come to us do so because they like our work. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinions!

I have known Bob for about 30 years and he and Betty are as nice people as anyone I know.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sam,

Last Sunday was the first that I had talked to Bob for any length of time. One could not ask for a nicer gentleman. In fact proof of that was when the young engraver, Chris Rossiter appeared. He and Bob discussed the finer points of engraving while I was a busy bee setting up the engraved guns for photos. My impression was of a humble master instructing a young apprentice. Bob is a class act!

Mark

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

I really like the Parker too. I guess you need to appreciate the newer styles along with the traditional designs.I realize this may be difficult for hide-bound purists.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some cars lend themselves to being modified - like a 68 Camaro. Others, like a Rolls Royce, do not. A Parker generally needs to look like Parkers did back in the day.

I don't like the disparity between the engraved surfaces and the non-engraved surfaces of the receiver. I don't think there is continuity between the two. I also don't like the case coloring - again too much disparity between the almost silver engraved areas and the richly colored non-engraved areas.

The screws are still slightly buggered. A 'restored' Parker without proper screws is like an English butler wearing Nike's.

The gold bands on the barrels are un-Parker like and are too thin, if you must have them. Worst of all, the beads on the breach balls are weak. They look like someone wanted beads but was afraid to go too deep for fear of losing his way.

The cheek pieces of the buttstock are not the greatest job of checking, certainly not up to Parker standards. Look how the foremost vertical line is not even parallel with the receiver.

I don't like the deep relief engraving paired with the lightly engrave game scenes. Make it light or deep but not mixed.

Just my .02, now you can all tell me how full of crap I am and defend the honor of the guy who did it because he is more of a gentleman than I ever will be. But I'm not judging his worth as a human, just his work.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Greg,

"I also don't like the case coloring - again too much disparity between the almost silver engraved areas and the richly colored non-engraved areas."

I guess you missed my note:
"The colors were induced by me so that the engraving would have more contrast."

The gun had NO case color to the naked eye. I induced contrast into the photo to better show the engraving. That revealed the colors which were not clear to the human eye. Toward that, we never actually see an object. What we see is the part of the light spectrum that an object reflects. These photos were shot in the field of guns as they were on display. Unfortunately the Parker did not have the same intensity and quality of natural light as did the Fox. Please notice that the AYA photo also has little contrast. It the light or lack there of!

As I stated, these photos were provided for information and enjoyment.
If you would like studio quality photos, or photos of other engraved guns of your choice please send me a $1,000 retainer and I'll get started. Oh, I'll give Dave his $10. Heck, if you send me $1,000 I'll give Dave $100! smile I'll be at the Yooper shoot next weekend and will take a check! smile Let me know if you desire my services so that I may pack the studio lights!!! smile Obviously I wrote the preceding in jest... Let's all try to enjoy our hobby.

Last edited by MarkOue; 06/07/12 07:21 PM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Adam and others,

You are very welcome!

Mark

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll look forward to pics from the yooper since I won't be there... :-)

Phil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.