April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Steve Nash, canvasback, cpa, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#279524 05/27/12 11:06 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have the Kodiak about as close to regulation as can be done with loads. Final two targets looked like this with not enough difference to talk about. The shot in the 6 ring at 2:00 o'clock and the one just outside the 5 at 6:30 o'clock can be disregarded as I was trying to "Kentucky windage" the rounds into a better composite group....obviously I didn't do it.

I thought it was on this board that someone either posted or told me that the difference in elevation between the two barrels can be corrected. The impression I got was that there is a device that slips in both bores and is ever so slightly twisted until the barrels come together. In the case of this rifle, the right barrel down and the left barrel up until they come together. Did I dream that or is there such a device?

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never heard of anything like that but stranger things have been made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You did not dream it however the barrel's solder must be liquid (by heating it) in order to do the twisting of one barrel up and the other down. Watch the "Inside Holland & Holland video where Steve mounts the barrels on a somewhat precision block plate and makes certain that each barrel at the muzzle is down against the forward block while the solder cools back to a solid.

You can make such a tool to insert into the barrels at the muzzle--twisting fork, or make a twisting fork to fit over the outside of the barrels. Which ever you prefer. You need the fork because the barrels are hot, however you can twist them by hand while hot by using a thick insulated leather glove. The fork like tool is shaped somewhat like a blacksmith's scroll bending fork, with the part that is inserted into the barrel 90 degrees to the fork handle.

You must measure where the barrel are in relation to a horizontal plane before you attempt to twist them; and then measure where they are to the plane afterwards. In your case you will only need to twist them a very few thousands of an inch.

A good barrel regulator like Steve at H&H can align the barrels horizontal by eye, hold them down while they cool and "Bob's your Uncle" he has them spot on.

I am certain there are gunmakers in America that can show you this adjustment--which is easy to accomplish.

Last edited by bushveld; 05/27/12 11:24 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you bushveld!! I understand the concept completely....and that it is also completely beyond my abilities! I was unaware the solder had to be in liquid state but it makes perfect sense. I wonder who in the US is capable and if the cheapy double is even worth the cost.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

But the breech loading Kodiaks are brazed and not soldered so redoing the regulation is very difficult. Is this a front stuffer or breech loader?

Is there a chance that you are canting the rifle to cause the elevation change shown? Perhaps change the hold to make it better?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's the muzzleloader Mike and no, I'm not canting the rifle. Darn good question and suggestion though. Many years of shooting a spirit level front sight has made that check almost involuntary. I was shooting from my bench with my hand on the front rest holding the rifle, no butt bag used.

Perhaps I should be happy with what I have given what it took to get it to this point.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if it will help but I found that shooting a double off the bench throws rounds all over, I was shooting a kodiak 45-70 double. I have changed to either a rest that keeps me sitting upright with my back straight or using a standing rest and the gun resting on my hand rather than on the bag. I have had the best luck with a tripod set of sturdy sticks works best for me.
That works for me others may not have the same results. grin

I am getting ready to regulate my 12 bore so we will see if I know what I am talking about pretty soon crazy.

Last edited by rgh25; 05/28/12 12:34 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had pretty consistent grouping, as the above target shows, and the rifle was never "rested" in the common meaning of the word. I always had it in my hands. The same method has worked well with my other doubles. I'm pretty convinced it's an inexpensive double rifle that isn't regulated as the better rifles are. What can one realistically expect from a $500.00 double? I am going to try it again from some kind of contrived "standing rest" however. Truth be known, for offhand shooting, my old eyes and hunting purposes it's probably acceptable....but it sure doesn't shoot a composite group like my German or British doubles.

Is there anyone in the U.S. who does regulation on double rifles in case I'm interested.....and if that person would want to fool with this grade of rifle?

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would cost you more than the rifle. There's s a guy in the states but I can't remember his name. Go here and ask. They'll point you in the right direction. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=doubles

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are several folks stateside that could re-regulate a DR, BUT it would far outweigh the cost of the rifle. Soldered rifles are about $800 IIRC but brazed would be much more to re-do.

IMO, Either live with what you've got and enjoy it for what it is or upgrade to a different DR.
Sabattis and breech loading Kodiaks are next cost ways and Chapuis are up the list a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.