March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Print Thread
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Instead of having an individual thread for each gunmaker, I thought I'd pile them under one heading.

Jozef Splichal in Krakow:

He was born to parents Franciszek & Zofia N. Splichal in 1835 and expired in 1920 along with had at least one son Jozef, Junior, who may have become a master in 1897. Jozef Splichal was a contemporary of Ignacy Michal Höfelmajer, who was a gunsmith's gunsmith as well as an edged weapon maker.

http://www.imnk.pl/strona_glowna.php?kolekcja=14
The Sukiennice Museum must be a sight to visit.

Bogdana Grabinski of Leszna Gorna was also on par with the above.

Anyway, Piotr J. Bochynski gives that one source notes a founding date of 1770 and another of 1866. So it is very likely that Fraciszek Splichal was also a gunsmith and possibly his father.

ul. Slawkowska 18 - c. 1888-1914(?)
ul. Slawkowska 6 - c. 1915
ul. Slawkowska 16 c. 1919-1939

http://cyfrowe.mnw.art.pl/dmuseion/docme...amp;lp=1&QI
The site gives circa 1910 but with the Slawkowska 16 address it would have been closer to the end of WWI.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I forgot to note that the above peddled example of Splichal had a steel tube stamp of Nelson Nickel Steel:

http://www.collectorebooks.com/gregg01/shotgun3/Lot-1436A.htm

It appears that the blooms on the trumpet vine, or whatever it is, are somewhat deeper than the rest of the tap, tap, tap.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Also there was an advert for M.( Mieczyslaw ) Nowak in Piotr's info but I wonder if was related to F. Novak/Nowak? M. Nowak hailed from Ostrów Wielkopolski(Ostrowo i. P. - im Posenschen - w Poznanskiem - in Posen near Gniezno ) and was most active from the early 1900s till say WWI.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post276370
Franz Novak ref.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How about a stepped lock percussion example by Karl I. Werlik of Teschen(Cieszyn). Teschen is/was the German name for a city in the South of Poland on the Olza River and known there as Cieszyn. Karl I. Werlik of Teschen was born in 1813 and it took him a few years more than the typical 23-24 years to obtain his master's sheepskin as he passed the examination and paid for his party in 1841. Since 1848 he was a member of the Gun Club of Cieszyn(Teschen). He had a shop in the rear portion of his house at 147 Mincovní Street, which is now I think Mennicza Street in Cieszyn. He was an accomplished craftsman and attended exhibitions such as Vienna 1873, Paris in 1878 where was awarded a silver medal and one in his hometown of Cieszyn in 1880. He offerings typically have heavily adorned locks and wear vivid pattern welded tubes. He had 4 sons, 2 of which being Edward & Richard were very ambitious and actually expanded the business to the level of a small arms factory. He advertised the gambit of offerings from pistols to sporting weapons. He expired in 1889 and was a contemporary of Karl Spiegel.

Retractable firing pin variant of Charles Harvey 1793 of 1866 design.

Given as a 1910 offering sourced from Johann Sigott of Ferlach

Makes you wonder if he had a son named Charles.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Info on H. Roedl/Rödl of Prag is somewhat elusive but it appears he was active by the late 1860s and between 1895 and surely by 1900 the firm H. Roedl Prag was the sole agent of Ludwig Loewe in Prag and peddled machinist tools and the like from there on out. Seems by the late 1880 a H. Roedl was a source for ink & supplies as well as an importer of American goods. Could there have been 2 H. Roedls in Prag circa 1900, sure but it would seem odd. In everything I've read the local community refers to H. Roedl as a gunsmith from Germany. Sometime in the latter part of the last decade of the 19th century right after H. Roedl's ejector patent #73742 a Josef Wenisch begins advertising as H. Roedl's successor. My 1st guess was that Josef Wenisch was the son-in-law of H. Rödl but haven't found anything of the like. Note H. Rödl's medals from 1873 foward to 1892.

Drive(from Josef Wenisch drive H. Roedl) notes formerly and this price list notes that all your hunting needs can be acquired here.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Poor attempt at an image capture of a couple pages of H. Roedl's January 31st 1893 patent:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Most interesting stepped lock examples by T(Tadeusz?) Wisniowiecki we Lwowie:

Lock with WISNIO WIECKI engraved from:

http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20nat%20div/a%20pol%20wisniowiecki%20j%20gb.htm

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/PistolsPercussion.html
#8 down the list

He may be missing a decimal point in his price, but I don't think any contemporary mechanic could have produced anything with more quality.

Tadeusz Wisniowiecki may have been born circa 1818.
Piotr J. Bochynski has located info on Tadeusza Wisniowiecki of Lemberg/Lwow and he died circa(11.26.1881?)1881/1882 and might just be at No. 8 plot in the Cemetery(Cmentarzu) Lyczakowskim. A.W. Molnar was his successor.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rusznikarz(Gunsmith) A.W. Molnar in Lwow November(Listopada) 1891 Gazeta Informacyjna calling attention to all P.P. hunters that his shingle was at 1. Kretej street near some hotel. Cheapest repairs & may pay return shipping????

Resembles Mike Ford on the right?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thaddeus Jaruszewski - possibly made for an English speaking client.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post86431

Piotr J. Bochynski image

Ammo ad from a 1930s Tadeusz(Thaddeus) Jaruszewski catalogue contained in an article by Jaroslaw Dabrowski where he notes that Tadeusz Jaruszewski ordered guns from Belgim & France and for his affluent clients he would apply the adornment himself. The covers shows several medals he was awarded and give the appearance that he had been in business for sometime. Also his clients were willing to pay a premium for 12 & 16 bore ammo with his name on the cartridges, which were purported to have been loaded in the T. Jaruszewski shop. His name denoted quality and he had a shooting range, possibly to test the ammo, as well as a shop, at one point on ulica Slusarskiej(Locksmith Street?) where sporting weapons repair could have taken place. A guess is that the Armun & P.R. ammo was manufactured in Liege as the next 2 are Eley? Not sure on the Pocisk(missle). It is also possible that the same firms made the ammo and applied his name. His examples are sparse but the possibility exits that other examples are in the U.S. of A. as well as in Russia.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Alfred Dzikowski k.u.k. Hoflieferant

A very interesting sideplated 16 bore boxlock peddled by Alfred Dzikowski of Lemberg forwarded to me by Sergey. Marc, correct me if I am mistaken, but the control mark or tube makers mark of an S over crossed palms over V or something is found on most of Paul Scholberg's examples with Poldi Tube steel.

I'll have to look for a Paul Scholberg fitted with Poldi tubes with a similar stamp.

Alfred Dzikowski We Lwowie

C.I.K.( Cesarsko-Królewski ) NADWORNY DOSTAWCA

1904/1907 Advert

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281061&page=3

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.