April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,062 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 30 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Pirie, your thoughtful and well-written comments are well taken. I agree that this thread has been one of the most gentlemanly on the subject, but that is to be expected from this group.

I think the bottom line is that ALL of us who hunt, shoot competitively, collect fine guns or just plink must make a greater effort to present a positive image to the non-shooting public, as well as promoting positive education about our sport(s). We must police ourselves, as was written earlier in this thread.

Support of each other, regardless of our varied shooting disciplines, is imperative if we want to maintain our 2nd Amendment rights.

Kind regards,

Ed

PS It's certainly sad that Bill Wise has passed. I would have welcomed his comments on this thread.

Last edited by Ed Stabler; 02/24/07 11:00 AM.

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice going, Ed. And wish I could go back to red-and-black instead of being dressed as a jack-o-lantern.

Well done everyone. The comments by all were well articulated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You do see the yellow signs on properties closed to hunting.
Closed to others - but just maybe, not to those who own it.
Yellow signs do not mean anti-hunting - they just mean, find your OWN place!
Btw, I would think some would appreciate that a duck could find a nap and a snack - and not worry about magnum loads in it's rear, all the time.
Thats what private yellow signed lands do for you!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 02/24/07 12:29 PM.

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Jack, you need to get your facts straight.

That's pretty laughable, coming from someone who posted this clinker:
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
...the "we" that beat the Taliban (which did not exist until several years AFTER the Russians were driven out) and AQ consisted largely of other Afghans--
The CIA being on the ground "weeks" before the SF doesn't change the fact that the ragtag Afghani NA forces were impotent against the Taliban until US technology, highly trained warriors and air power cleared the way. The bearded guys on ponies came in afterward to occupy the killing ground. Americans sure as hell beat the Taliban, and we should be proud of the fact, not denying it.

The Minuteman had his place in history, but it has passed. A single US infantryman today has more firepower, support and training than all the folks at Lexington and Concord together (on both sides!). ARs may be good for plinking, hole-punching, maybe some hunting, and dreams-of-glory fantasizing, but I wouldn't bet my life on one against an average police SWAT team, much less a modern soldier.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

To tell the truth, I am slightly afraid to even post on this subject.
I have loved guns my whole life and I ain't no spring chicken. Yet, I have always been troubled by the gun violence in this free land of ours. And, it does seem that the knee jerk reactions of the anti-gun crowd and the opposite knee jerk reaction from the "pry it from my cold dead fingers" crowd miss the point.
So, to what do we attribute the firearm violence in the U.S.? Isn't that what the anti gun crowd is really concerned about? And, shouldn't those of us who love guns also have some concern? Why does a country like Canada have a very well armed population, at least as far as long arm hunting weapons, and yet, have a miniscule firearm crime rate?
Is there any way to legislate or educate or somethingate the U.S. population to stop the unbelievable gun violence we live with every single day? Anyone care to try a discourse on that?
Or, am I missing the point? Is this just about some imagined need for an armed insurrection against some facist government that is gonna come and git us?
Best, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

What I find odd is that this is the first thread on this subject I've seen anywhere in which the Franklinian "all hang together or or all hang separately" guys have held their water long enuf for a discussion to develop about 1) which gun ownership rights follow from the documents of the Founding Fathers and which are customary privileges, 2) the role and effectiveness of small arms in modern warfare, 3) the role and effectiveness of military designs on small game, 4) the undeniable effects of population density and residential development on hunting opportunities. As all know, accomodation and compromise are emotionally-charged words among gun-rights advocates precisely because there has been accomodation and compromise aplenty and will be more no doubt. I'm not ready to abandon the old Marine long-range shooters or the "tacticals" either and I don't particularly care if you combine Harris tweed with a black pistol grip for that matter (could well be the feature combination next banned given the stupidity of the antis). To be blunt, I don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling about "Abdul can get you anything you want" or the fellow with the modern Gatling design and a piece of armour down some long lane in MD. These are not the men I'm going to throw in with no matter what they promise by way of political influence. I'll hang by myself for what I am before I hang together for something I ain't.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think everyone here would come to our Great Nations home defense if need be.
I think that's what was meant in the constitution with the 'Right to Bear Arms' the protection of ones property and the protection of our great country shores....not because of some imaginary levee breaking and our country falling apart. The USA is here to stay.
The 'right' that needs to be addressed is mans right to hunt.

The way I see it with politics as they are...we as gun owners can make some concessions or have them forced upon us. Call me a sheep,wolf or what ever, I call it having a little common sense.

Unlike some New Yorkers I have no desire to see Hillary Clinton at the wheel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, the bad luck you had in charm school, and, keyboarding skills was complimented by a big, fat F grade in constitutional studies, eh jOe?

It's all water under the bridge now, but, if you are hiking in as far as you say you are (turkeys can be found along just about any roadside in Anoka county these days, so I don't understand why you have to go in so deep, unless the turkeys studied harder then you did in school) lay off the HoHos, Lays, and Mountain Dew, buddy.

An apple a day, just might keep the EMTs away, you know. If you have any adult teeth left, it'll be better in the long run for them, as well.

Like I said, the bruising about the head and groin will be a no charge gift to go with the coronary first response care. Be gone in a 'coupla weeks. The bypass surgery will slow you down for a few months, however.

The thought of CPR on someone described above is disgusting, but, saving a life is always worth it, right?

Right? Anyone?
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Unlike some New Yorkers I have no desire to see Hillary Clinton at the wheel".

Whenever I go home to New York to visit, I can't find one person who voted for her.

It makes you wonder who the heck is voting for her then.

It has to be Buffalo and NYC.

Last edited by GunPlumber; 02/24/07 01:39 PM.
Page 14 of 30 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.