April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunter:
That is one beautiful gun. Even with the modification done to it I for one would love to own it.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jim,
yep, that's exactly what I thought when I saw it in the London auction catalogue about 18 months ago.
I knew that it probably was a 'Suhl' gun by looking at the engraving.
I put in an 'absentee' bid and won it at about 50 Pounds below my max !
Was I happy? - hehe - does a bear .... in the woods?

Have since been trying to find out which of the Suhl makers actually made this gun (not that it is that important - but these things grow on you... )

regards
Gunter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunter:
Hopefully Raimey will be able to help you out here. I see you're located in Great Britian. Was there any problems with registration/licensing due to the rifle barrel?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jim,
no problem with registration as I have a firearms licence (FAC) and several other rifles.
It can get a bit tricky sometimes as you have to prove what you 'need' a particular caliber/rifle for!
Either as a member of a target shooting club or have (written) permission to shoot specified game or vermin on specified land!

Much more difficult than for you guys in the good old US of A!
Make sure that the idiots don't succeed in taking the 2nd A. away!
As a member of the NRA I get a copy of the American Rifleman every month and I read it with interest from the first to the last page.

As you know, here in the UK we lost ALL our handguns in 1997
which put a full stop to my no. 1 sport.
I used to compete internationally in pistol target shooting.

The British Olympic Pistol Team nowadays has to go to France or Switzerland to practice! Can you imagine that?
(not sure whether the team still exists, but the above was true a few years ago)

Raimey has already given me some good info - I had overlooked that round mark though and only added a pic of that after his contribution.

Best regards
Gunter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunter
does someone have information on this mark? (the round one in the centre of pic with fig. 9(?) )

I have no idea whether this is part of the English reproof marks
or an original german one - and if so, what it is.

thanks
Gunter
Life member NRA 1976

Yes, that is part of the reproof, date I suspect, from the little British Isles.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I think I stated, that's a very high serial number & with the 1/2 pipe side-frame reinforcement, it should really narrow the field. Sauer's serial number sequence was a little below that and Greifeldt, Merkel, Simson/BSW should have been about 1/10th that serial number. The contour of the 1/2 pipe side frame reinforcement doesn't mimic Greifeldt either but for sure it is some maker's Bockbuchsflinte(?).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
As I think I stated, that's a very high serial number & with the 1/2 pipe side-frame reinforcement, it should really narrow the field. Sauer's serial number sequence was a little below that and Greifeldt, Merkel, Simson/BSW should have been about 1/10th that serial number. The contour of the 1/2 pipe side frame reinforcement doesn't mimic Greifeldt either but for sure it is some maker's Bockbuchsflinte(?).

Kind Regards,

Raimey Does that make the gunmaker a "Bookie" then??
rse

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Francis:
Do you mean Brummie?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey,
thanks for the information on serial number/reproof mark.
that narrows it down in that I can disregard the makers you mentioned and try to find which of the remaining Suhl makers would have had guns in that range of Serial number.

Any info on where Krieghoff serial numbers would have been in 1939?

The serial number of this gun is 366005

Yes, it is a Bockbüchsflinte, or BBF for short.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a '1/2 pipe side frame reinforcement ?

Best regards
Günter

Last edited by Gunter; 05/09/12 02:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Francis:
Do you mean Brummie?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Ja- das ist Korrekt!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.