May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Borderbill, Argo44, 1 invisible), 341 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,576
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Disregard everything I've said, the book is always right. :-) If Graham Greener says its the low of the mids, then so be it. When comparing the Greener FH25 to what in the trade is called the low end of the mid grades, the FH25 is usually head and shoulders above the trade average. Don't really need a book to tell you that. Comparing lower-end mid level guns from makers such as Midland, Bonehill, Webley, etc..The FH25 has them beat in external fit and finish & decoration, and way above in internal fit and finish.
I was not refering to the Greener grading scale when I made my comments, I was refering to 1cdogs statement of the FH25 being in the lower level of medium grade guns....maybe I took his statement out of context, or maybe he should've specified that he was refering to the Greener grading scale.

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 04/29/12 05:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep--$1500.00 to $1800.00 if you really want to sell it in a reasonable length of time in Canada. If not, then put it at $2500.00 to $3000.00 and see how long you have it. If you get it, great. You also must remember that generally it is harder getting top dollar in Canada for old SxS's as compared to some other countries.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 04/29/12 01:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see scjordan's gun as in unusually fine condition compared to the normal that we see. As LeFusil says, the exterior fit and finish are quite good. I would tend to agree with LeFusil and gunaholic on the selling price in the U.S. I would love to find one for Canadian prices.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
Yep--$1500.00 to $1800.00 if you really want to sell it in a reasonable length of time in Canada. If not, then put it at $2500.00 to $3000.00 and see how long you have it. If you get it, great. You also must remember that generally it is harder getting top dollar in Canada for old SxS's as compared to some other countries.

He might have to post pone his Moose hunt for a year or so at $2500

Sidelock
Sidelock

Show me another British BLE gun that comes close to the quality of this FH25 for less than $2500 jOey. I double dog dare ya. ;-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's one---Model 681E with original finish in quite nice condition and ejectors. $469.00 in Canada.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 04/29/12 07:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun and nice try. While your gun/example is very nicely embellished, it's not quite in the same league as the FH25. Look at the difference in the frame sculpting between your example and the FH25. The FH25 has hand filed frame bolsters, a elegantly sculpted top lever, a proprietary version of intercepting sears, horn insert in the forend, removeable hinge pin, etc.
FH25, circa 1910, notice the sculpting of the frame, pay special attention to the quality of the filing of the bolsters.

Your example does not have intercepting sears, I do not believe it has a removeable hing pin, almost zero sculpting/filing to the frame, fences, etc. These are just some of the differences between the two types of guns. I hope this helps to explain the difference between the two types of guns.

I wish I took pictures of the internal works before I sold my FH25....there was alot of TLC given to the guts of that gun. Everything smooth and polished to mirrors. Absolutely fantastic.

By the way...if the pictured Clabrough was bought for $469 Can.......that is a freeeking steal :-)|

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 04/29/12 08:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lefusil,
You are confuzzing me. The Canadian Greener obviousley has FH 25 on the trigger bow. Are you saying that it is NOT a FH 25?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Nice gun and nice try. While your gun/example is very nicely embellished, it's not quite in the same league as the FH25. Look at the difference in the frame sculpting between your example and the FH25. The FH25 has hand filed frame bolsters, a elegantly sculpted top lever, a proprietary version of intercepting sears, horn insert in the forend, removable hinge pin, etc.
FH25, circa 1910, notice the sculpting of the frame, pay special attention to the quality of the filing of the bolsters.

Your example does not have intercepting sears, I do not believe it has a removable hing pin, almost zero sculpting/filing to the frame, fences, etc. These are just some of the differences between the two types of guns. I hope this helps to explain the difference between the two types of guns.

I wish I took pictures of the internal works before I sold my FH25....there was a lot of TLC given to the guts of that gun. Everything smooth and polished to mirrors. Absolutely fantastic.

By the way...if the pictured Clabrough was bought for $469 Can.......that is a freeeking steal :-)|

Dustin

No one is arguing that Greener didn't make good guns.

To begin with the thread had to clarify that it was a lower mid grade GREENER, not a lower mid grade Birmingham boxlock.

Secondly, I think gunsaholic's point wasn't that his gun was as good/better than the Greener FH25, but was pointing out the price it sold for inside of the last 6 months, relative to his suggestion the gun might reasonably fetch something in the $1500 range, while LeFusil was telling the OP to expect a minimum of $2500 and perhaps north of $3000.

Gunsaholic and I, and probably a few other Canadians following this thread, follow the CANADIAN market fairly closely, as well as the US market. We know they are different. I don't think either gunsaholic or I have any interest in this gun except answering his question on a Canadian gun forum of how much should he expect to get when he sells it. Telling him to hang on for $2500 plus is likely going to mean a long wait when he has already posted that he has a purpose for the money.

I hear lots of grips about people listing on Gun Broker and setting unrealistic minimums and thus the guns never sell. Lefusil, I believe you are advising the OP to do the same here.

BTW, both Guns and I know the Clabrough was a steal. When he got it, I guessed between $900 and $1200.

We were talking last week about prices on Foxes. I have a not bad 1909 A grade, 30" barrels etc that frankly I think would sit around for a while if I asked anything over $1000. I bought it 4 years ago for $500.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks so much for all the help guys!!!

Jordy
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.