March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#276043 04/23/12 09:51 PM
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Recently a lovely Jozsef Kirner Pesten percussion double was at auction. Seller gave that the bores were 1.2cm at the muzzle and that the brass tip on the ramrod was a just a bit over 1cm.

Lovely stepped locks.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hope I have the gist of the Kirner gunmaking story correct below.

The Jozsef Kirner we've come to chase is actually a Junior to his father, Jozsef Kirner, Senior, and the grandson of György Kirner, who as born in Bavaria in 1784 and hung out the Kirner Büchsenmacher/Gunsmith shop shingle in 1808 in Pest. It seems there may be some controversy/drama surrounding his national identity? More than likely Jozsef Kirner senior was born about the time György hung out his shingle and by circa 1832, Jozsef Kirner, Senior, had his gunsmith's sheepskin. He continued in the craft till 1861, or possibly a bit later close upon 1863/1864 when the management transitioned to Jozsef Kirner, Junior. It would seem that Jozsef Kirner, Senior was the driving force in perfecting the Lefaucheux platform for their sporting weapons. Jozsef Kirner, Junior, was born on November 19th, 1838 in Pest. In 1852, at 14 years of age which I think was typical, he entered the apprentice program. A fella by the name of Emanuel Gyula Bibanco, if I have the name sequence correct, a professional educator being Silesian by birth, started/suggested/implemented a trade or vocation program in the late 1820s wherein a 4 hour course was conducted on Sunday and referred to as Sunday School, seemly the same Sunday School for German craftsmen that Mr. Dietrich Apel has previously described. This school set the stage for the apprentice to gain the tools needed to make it in the world. By 1830 course hours were set as well as the daily curriculum, which was German language based and included a sampling of legal fundamentals as well as basics for the trade. Seems there was an option for a night class or something of the like. In 1841 Emanuel Gyula Bibanco went to his reward and Antal Hampel became principal, where he remained in this position until 1869. During this time mirror institutions were established at Cluj, Gyor, Pecs, Sibiu & Timisoara, all which I think to be in Romania. At this point I bet you are wondering why in the world I'm on this tangent. Jozsef Kirner was a student of Anta Hampel, under whom he completed his studies in 1856 when he was released and began his walkabout journeyman program. Jozsef Kirner travelled to Austria, Belgium, France and England to absorb the latest advances in gunmaking technology before getting his gunmaking sheepskin in 1864. Jozsef either attended, competed or both at the 1862 Hunting Expo in London. But the best I can tell is that Jozsef Kirner, Senior, expired in 1869 and Jozsef, Jr. continued to supply the Hungarian Court( czimet kapta???). In 1867 that the Austrian and Hungarian were consumed with brotherly love and the Austro-Hungarian Empire commenced. The Hungarians used the term king but never emperor. In 1871 Jozsef Kirner received a silver metal at the Vienna World Exhibition, the Ordine della Corona d'Italia from the King of Italy and the Golden Cross of Merit with Crown from the cat in Vienna. I'm not sure when the Kirner's were dubbed as suppliers to the Hungarian court, but it may have been at this time. I believe it was 1873 that offically that Buda & Pest were combined so prior to this date his city would have been Pest.

There's more of course.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1898 Advert.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For now don't know where the stepped locks originated but it could have easily have been Anton Mulacz of Vienna also:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Thank you for posting such an interesting example. The lock profiles are really unique, well to me anyway as I haven't seen anything quite like it before. Your research is always good reads. Reading of the travels and education of young Jozsef was equally as interesting as the artifact.

Regards,

Buchseman

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Raimey,

this is an interesting topic!
I have in front of me a little book published by the hunting museum in Ohrada, in Hluboka nad Vltavou, Czech Republic - by the way a place recommended to visit, an interesting collection on hunting, fishing, forestry, and many fine hunting guns, focussing on Bohemia and Movaria.

Sorry I can't copy pictures from this book, but I see these stepped locks in quite some guns:

two different 4-barrel percussion rifles signed A.V. Lebeda a Prague
a percussion double rifle also by A.V. Lebeda
a percussion double rifle signed K. Haberda in Frauenberg (this is Hluboka nad Vltavou!)
another percussion double signed F. Ludykar in Wittingau (this is Trebon, quite close to Hluboka - both in the area of Ceske Budejovice, not far from the Austrian border)
a single shot percussion rifle by F. Nowak in Prag
a single shot percussion rifle by K. Haberda in Frauenberg
a percussion target rifle by J. Anton Kuchenreuter in Regensburg, Bavaria
a double shotgun by C.G. Koenig & Sohn in Coburg
(those last three with locks with the spring in front of the hammer, but nevertheless a small step at the back of the action plate)

No earlier flintlocks or later centerfire guns shown with this "step", seems to be a percussion-time fashion.
Created in Bohemia or somewhere around, my first guess would be Lebeda in Praguue.

Best regards,
fuhrmann

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks fellas for reading and commenting. Jozsef Kirner was a supplier to Crown Prince Rudolf which I think to be under the same court as Johann Haberda, Fürst Zchwarzenberg'scher Hofbüchsenmacher , Frauenberg.

http://www.antiquesatoz.com/sgfleece/schwartz.htm

Johann Haberda of Frauenberg too was a most talented gunmaker beginning at the mid point of the 19th century and developed his talent using percussion platforms, there adding choke to scatterguns in an effort to get the most out of that type sporting weapon. Johann/Jan Haberda was supplier to the Habsburg dynasty and it would seem that he obtained this rank circa 1860. It may be that his father too was a gunsmith and Johann continued the tradition.

I'll have to look, but if Anton Vinzenz Lebeda of Prague had developed it, I would expect to see it on J. Novotny's wares.

Lebeda example
I'll have to look closer to see if there are similar stepped lock Lebeda examples. Anton Vinzenz Lebeda purchased the shop of Matthew(?) Brandejsovi in Prague:

"Gustav E. Fükert was born on the 7th of August 1844 and departed this world on the 5th of December, 1918. Being born in 1844 and using the average age for a Journeyman to obtain his brief; therefore, in 1868 Gustav E. would have sprung for the cost of his master’s party. I would venture a guess here that either Jan/Johann, Gustav E., or both, worked in Antonín/Anton Vincent Lebeda’s shop in Prague. Antionin V. Lebeda was born in 1795, and some sources give 1797 which would make him a master in 1821/1822, which some sources give as the date of his master brief, but most info suggests he founded in business in 1820 which with 24 years as an average would pair well with the 1795 date of birth. Lebeda’s final exam in 1820/1821 was the completion of a very intricate and elaborately engraved set of locks. Lebeda’s name is synonymous with arms with percussion ignition systems. Lebeda on his Journeyman walkabout worked in Austria as well as Germany and although some hint that Bohemia was not influenced by the craftsmen in Suhl, I know there was a relationship there as many of Fükert Kronen have Suhl sourced tubes. Anyway upon return from his Journeyman walkabout, Lebeda became the head or purchased the shop of the late Prag gunmaker Matthew? Brandejsovi in 1820/1821 and soon thereafter married Ann Stumpfovou(?), the daughter of a fruit/vegetable merchant."
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post159603

I seem to recall that Johann Kalezky of Vienna offered a stepped lock sporting weapon.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=204060&page=1

Kind Regard,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

fuhrmann:
Your reference to Frantisek Novak/Nowak of Praze is most interesting. He too looks to have been a supplier to the Habsburg court also and supplied the family of Schwarzenberk. He like the others mentioned was an upper rung mechanic. Sources give he was born in 1784 but was a master gunsmith in Praze/Praha from 1821 forward to 1857 being the President/chairman(1st?) of the Praha gunsmith's guild from 1835 to 1838 and then again from 1844 to 1848. He should have attained his master gunsmith sheepskin circa 1808. Like Kirner he holds medals from the 1829, 1831 & 1836 Exhibitions in Praha. He like Johann Baptiste Missillieur, 1781 - 1835 who moved to Praha in 1834 after attaining the rank of master in Wien in 1821, came a bit later in their career to Praze/Praha and may have transferred technology. Johann Baptiste Missilieur held at least one patent, with some of his wares stamped with Millisieur a Vienna Patent.

Frantisek Novak
http://www.papilio.cz/en/archiv.php?aukc...07114cf9b9e563e

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lovely percussion Vierling(or is it 5 tubes?( fünf ) as I seem to see 5 nipples) peddled by Anton Vincenz Lebeda.

Forgive the grainy image a result of a quick image, but fuhrmann had forwarded me some very interesting info and hopefully he'll comment on the stepped lock sporting arm,which I'd say rivals anything from the period including any wares by the craftsmen on the little Briish Isles. fuhrmann may be spot on with Anton Vinzenz Lebeda being responsible for the stepped locks.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

fuhrmann note login issues with the BBS so with pleasure I'll post his comments.

"I cannot give significant additional comment, have seen the Ohrada museum 10 years ago and took the booklet along then.

What I can tell is that the first picture you showed is a 4-barrel gun.
You will see this more clearly in page 0011, of another 4-barrel gun by Lebeda.

What looks like barrel number 5 is actually the ramrod pipe.
Why there is this extra "nipple look-a-like" I do not know.
The barrels are certainly fixed, this is not a turnbarrel construction, there is no additional underside hammer."

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any of you swift in German might extract some nuggets of info from below:

from: http://www.biographien.ac.at/oebl/oebl_L/Lebeda_Anton-Vinzenz_1823_1890.xml

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside/internals/backside of a stepped lock? I'm very curious about how they differ mechanically from the common back action lock.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not yet. I did have plans to inspect the double in the 1st post but someone wanted it far more that I did. But that image is what pretty much began this whole tangent.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Even his pistols had stepped locks:

And even Gastinne-Renette sourced him for a brace of the stepped variety percussion pistols.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=275369#Post275369

Maybe this pattern will catch Drew's eye.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Not yet. I did have plans to inspect the double in the 1st post but someone wanted it far more that I did. But that image is what pretty much began this whole tangent.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Hopefully someone does and will stick them up.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Baumgarten is supposed to pleasure us with some images of a Jaeger rifle from Suhl. We surmise that the novel lock may have added structural integrity to the sporting weapon.

Frantisek/Franz Novak/Nowak kaiserlich - königlich( Császári Es Királyi Udvari Puskamüves ) Höfbüchsenmacher of Praze must have hung out his gunmaking shingle in the mid to late 1820s as from 1829 to 1836 he attended Bohemian Exhbitions and received silver and bronze medals, with a bronze medal being at the Vienna Exhibition in 1835. Then in 1844 in Berlin he received a bronze medal for his effort on his wares. He designed and developed some sort of safety, or mechanism with safety features, that led to at least one of his awards. The firm employed around 30 craftsmen, which increased to say 3 dozen by the mid 19th century, and sourced tubes from Bohemia as well as Liege in order to provide upper rung sporting weapons to clients in the Empire, Poland, Russia, France and England. He was known for either sourcing or fabricating some sort of tubes, Bürschrohr und Scheibenrohr - 2 terms that have escaped me for now. Either he or a Gabriel Novak, who I guess to be his son, was a source of target pistols with special designed triggers.

It is possible that Ferdinand Ridler/Riedler of Spital on the Pyhrn(Spital am Pyhrn, Austria) could have been the Bohemian tube steel source for Frantisek Novak & other Praha craftsmen. Ferdinand Ridler is noted as being the 1st to roll his own as well as introducing pattern welded tubes to the empire. In 1845 a presentation of his home grown and rolled pattern welded tubes, which were asthetically easy on the eyes as well as durable being on par with any other craftsmen, led to an award. He was also know for his edged weapons.

Jozsef Kirner may have sourced Ferdinand Ridler as they used both local, within the empire I would say, in addition to sourcing the craftsmen in Liege for their multibarrel sporting weapons. Jozsef Kirner is noted as offering a vierling, which he easily could have sourced from A.V. Lebeda. The concern employed 20 craftsmen to complete sporting weapons for clients in England, Russia, Poland, France & Turkey. In the 1830s A.V. Lebeda could not find a source near Praze to meet his demand for tubes so straightaway he developed a soucing line to Liege.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many thanks to furhmann for the images and all the effort on the translation of the Anton Vinzenz Lebeda info docs.

Yes, another grainy image but it will have to suffice for now.

"The muzzleloader with percussion lock constitutes the main body of his work, and his successful 1828 invention of the so-called Prague boxlock was often copied in the continent and in England. At the Bohemian Country Trade Fair in Prague (1829) Lebeda received a silver medal, and on 22.12.1830 he received a further privilege for a “hunting gun with a safety catch”."

"Cap lock for percussion guns, patent 1828; Hunting gun with a safety catch, patent 1835." - Ref. for translated 1965 Austrian document.

Translated from the doc and I wonder if this is December 22nd 1830 safety catch? Also what might be the "Prague boxlock"?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey and I were just talking about stepped locks and such last night and I had reminded him that my Christoph Funk (Suhl) had stepped locks very much like the Lebeda pistols. As to the thought that the longer than typical lock plates seen on the Jozsef Kirner Pesten (1st gun) were to add reinforcement to the grip, seeing it again this morning they don't appear that much longer than standard issue back action locks so who knows? Again, I like the ornate profile. I'll add that I sure am enjoying the fine examples being shown on this thread.

Regards,

Buchseman

Here are some pictures of the Christoph Funk jaeger rifle that Raimeys mentions:

Regards,

Buchseman

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

My feeling is that these stepped lockplates are a fashion thing, of a certain period. And up to now I have only seen percussion this way.

The Prague boxlock may be this:

Regards,
fuhrmann

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks fuhrmann. Can you tell what the letters are under the crown atop the tubes: "AL", "LB", etc.? Also thanks for pointing out that Bürschrohr und Scheibenrohr - stalking rifle and target rifle. Were the tubes that much different?

Baumgarten, thanks for the effort and are the initials MB on the component for M. Baumgarten?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Buchseman. That looks to be arranged mechanically speaking, just like a normal lock. So, to me, right now, I'm leaning that it was just a regular lock with a somewhat thicker plate to allow for the shaping.

So yes, a fashion thing.

Very nice rifle btw. Is the barrel swamped? What caliber is it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Yes, "MB" are my initials. I bought this gun back when I was still in high school and I made the sear using one of my father's Bridgeport milling machines and a file not long afterward. It was my first German gun and one of my earliest gunsmithing experiences. When it was clear that my father was seriously hooked on German guns I gave the subject Jaeger rifle to him as a Christmas gift. Once my father had it in his possession he also did some restoration on the piece (replaced a few damaged screws, made the front sling hoop, and made a new ramrod tip). Many years later when we lost him to an incurable illness the gun was given back to me by my mother.

Shane,

The barrel is swamped a bit but right off I can't tell you by how much. The grooves measure .471".

Regards,

Buchseman

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Raimey,
sorry, I don't know anything about those marks on the barrels.

The term "Bürschrohr" meant the whole rifle. In general I would say that target rifles had longer and heavier barrels, more massive stocks and probablly some form of peep sights.
No idea regarding any differences in caliber and form of rifling.

Bürschrohr (or Pirsch- or Birsch ...) is an old word and was probably already used for wheellock guns. It is not common today, nor back in say 1900.
So talking about the different development of hunting and target rifles would be subject of a thick book, and way beyond my knowledge.

fuhrmann

Last edited by fuhrmann; 04/28/12 01:50 AM.
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the effort fuhrmann.

While looking in Jozsef Kirner's direction I stumbled onto Alfred Dzikowski we Lwowie(Lemberg/Lviv/Lwow) C.I.K. Nadworny Dostawca of Karl Ludwig Street I or Alfred Dzikowski(rusznikarz Lwów)Cesarsko-Królewski Nadworny Dostawca of Lemberg being of Polish descent.

Like many, or all, of the other k.u.k. suppliers, he is purported to have been a whale of a mechanic and also peddled edged weapons. The concern's adverts and listing are common from circa 1880 forward and with the Cesarsko-Królewski Nadworny Dostawca dubbing, I would venture a guess he was active about mid 19th century and also had a son with same name. His home was No. 8 on the corner of Brajerowska(Lepkiego) Street & ??, where either many mounted trophies adorned the walls or the exterior facade was similar, or both.

Back right is Alfred Dzikowski, who I guess to be a Junior. To his left is Zdzislaw Dzikowski, possibly the owner of the firm by 1908. Image is from a late 1902 wedding in Vienna of his niece or somesimilar relation.

Dr. Zdzislaw Dzikowski owner/kupiec broni palnej

later Dzikowski firearm/bron palna/waffen händler

Seems the shop closed right after WWI, possibly in 1921, and a former apprentice who aspired to the rank of master(büchsenmacher/rusznikarz) named Eustachy Dmytrach opened his shop.

from article by Piotr J. Bochynski.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back to Jozsef Kirner, an interesting 1892 advert where he seems to be an Auguste Francotte agent as well as that of the Belmont Firearms & Gun Barrel Works(Bonehill?).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Below is some info, and some of the other info on büchsenmacher/fegyverkovács/gunmaker/puškar/rusznikarz Alfred Dzikowski is from Piotr J. Bochynski of Poland who has penned a few articles, with his interest lying with Polish sporting weapons & ammo.

Anyway, Alfred Dzikowksi acquired/bought/took-over the firm "Magazyn Broni, perfumeryi i artykulów toaletowych" of Bonifacy Stiller circa 1879. Alfred Dzikowksi for a time retained the previous name "Weapons Warehouse/Storage, perfumery and toilet articles". by 1882 Magazyn Broni, perfumeryi i artykulów toaletowych was reduced to Magazyn Broni or Weapons Warehouse.

By 1885 the concern experienced a name change to "Fabryka i sklad broni" which for now I guess to be Factory & Warehouse of Sporting Weapons.

Then he added hunting haberdashery circa 1892 with the name reflecting the addition of hunting articles in
"Fabryka i glówny magazyn broni i przyborów mysliwskich i lowieckich" or Factory and Sporting Weapons Warehouse along with articles/items for hunters and hunting.

Then in 1906 his son Dr. Zdzislaw Dzikowski takes the helm as Alfred Dzikowski expires at the age of 56.

Another name change occurred around 1908 with "Krajowa fabryka broni mysliwskiej" which seems to translate to National Hunting Weapons Factory but I think it implies something akin to k.u.k. and that he was a supplier to a royal court and would be something like C.i K. nadworny dostawca.

Then in 1911 the firm Alfred Dzikowksi was acquired by Galicyjska Spólka Mysliwska and the name reflected it in Krajowa Fabryka i Glówny Magazyn Broni firmy Galicyjska Spólka Mysliwska przedtem Alfred Dzikowski C.i K. nadworny dostawca, which was something of the likes of Royal Court Supplier and General Sporting Weapons Store previously Alfred Dzikowski royal court suplier( C.i K. nadworny dostawca). The firm existed to at least 1917/1918 or possible a bit later.

For any that speak Polish forgive the letter l and s as they would not post correctly: as in Główny(Glowny) & Myśliwska(Mysliwsak).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looks as if Bonifacy Stiller was very successful as a sporting weapons merchant in Lviv, being born in 1823 and passing in 1884. Being quite the philanthropist he either invested in the Morshyn Medical Association, its spas or both. Then again he may have just been a regular to the Morshym spas.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kirner remekmuve(masterpiece)

M. Kir. Udvari or Magyarul Királyi Udvari

Or Supplier to someone court.
I think this to be the German version -
königlich ung. hof büchsenmacher & Waffenfabrikant

Kirner's royal court dubbing by Prince Rudolf may have been in 1871(possible 1869?).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=278719#Post278719

Just to cross reference Bob's latest Jozsef Kirner example.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seems Karoly Kiszela of Pesten had some what of a pistol warehouse in the 1870s:

February 1870 advert.

There was also an Endre Kiszela who also was a gunsmith. I guess he was active prior to Karoly??

Lipot Foldes & Lojos Jozsef were also of Pesten and may have been gunsmiths early on.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And Karoly Kiszela also offered sporting weapons like this tabernacle lock. I think that is also a stepped lock variant?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey. I have a 12 ga. made by Emil Kirner but I don't know if they are related.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is the name Kerner or Kirner? Kerner is not related to Kirner. Emil Kerner either was a lock designer or was related to a Kerner who was a action/lock designer. I don't know that the Boys Kirner moved outside of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Raimey,it is Emil Kerner & Son on the tubes and a large K on the standing breech just below the barrel ext. Again thanks I missed the spelling.

Rich

Last edited by Rd Show; 05/20/12 08:29 PM.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rich, if you get a chance I'd really like to see an image of the form of both of those Ks.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Marc kindly forwarded an image of a stepped lock version from Tula:

Pyotr Goltyakov - Tula.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Image from the research effort of Piotr J. Bochynski who kindly forwarded me his articles with much information on the family.

Stepped lock pistol of Jakub Ernest Stapf Varsovie or Warsaw who was of the German Stapf family of gunmakers who moved to Poland. It seems that the transfer of technology to the Polish hunters/makers occurred thru a Russian conduit and the terms and ideas are Russian oriented.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

These guns are amazing. They make my wallet hurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, Here are Pictures of the Emil Kerner & Sohns. [img:center]http://[/img] [img:center]http://[/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img]

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, that is his monogarm. I've seen it many times.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281068&#Post281068

Cross reference to Czech & Polish makers.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr

Frantisek/Franz Novak/Nowak kaiserlich - königlich( Császári Es Királyi Udvari Puskamüves ) Höfbüchsenmacher of Praze must have hung out his gunmaking shingle in the mid to late 1820s as from 1829 to 1836 he attended Bohemian Exhbitions and received silver and bronze medals, with a bronze medal being at the Vienna Exhibition in 1835. Then in 1844 in Berlin he received a bronze medal for his effort on his wares. He designed and developed some sort of safety, or mechanism with safety features, that led to at least one of his awards. The firm employed around 30 craftsmen, which increased to say 3 dozen by the mid 19th century, and sourced tubes from Bohemia as well as Liege in order to provide upper rung sporting weapons to clients in the Empire, Poland, Russia, France and England. He was known for either sourcing or fabricating some sort of tubes, Bürschrohr und Scheibenrohr - 2 terms that have escaped me for now. Either he or a Gabriel Novak, who I guess to be his son, was a source of target pistols with special designed triggers.

Frantisek/Franz Novak/Nowak/Nowack hung out his gunmaking shingle in 1821. By 1835 at the Vienna Industrial Exhibit( Wiener Gewerbe Ausstellung von 1835 ) he was awarded the bronze medal for his wares found in exhibitions. Then in Prag at the 1837 Bohemian Industrial Products Exhibition he obtained a silver medal. In 1840 he skipped the gold medal and was dubbed k.k. Hofbüchsenmacher. But this time he empolyed 20 craftsmen and just may have been the Prague source for pattern welded tubes as well as being sourced by Austrian & German craftsmen. If I have my numbers correct as well as the gist of the info, his concern was rolling out some 29,400 tubes annually, in what state for now I cannot say. At the 1844 Berlin Exhibition he received yet another bronze medal. By the mid 1840s he employed some 30 mechanics.

I'm sure Ferdinand Ridler/Riedler of Spital on the Pyhrn(Spital am Pyhrn, Austria) was connected in some manner.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Even H. Barella was in on the stepped lock cult like following.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can see where that may be more than cosmetic. It would give just enough room to allow a closer grip for the trigger finger. Rich

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From 1905 adverts, it appears that a J. Pirk, heir of puskamuves/gunsmith Károly Dotzauer, purchased Jozsef Kirner in 1904 or early 1905. Sources give that the last Jozsef Kirner expired in 1916, with his father passing in 1869. So a gunsmith J. Pirk of Budapest purchased/inherited both concerns.

1903 Advert noting Jozsef Kirner being a supplier to the court of the King of Italy
cs. és kir. udv. - Császári Es Királyi Udvari Puskamüves

1905 advert noting J. Pirk as successor to Jozsef Kirner

Pirk J. örököse Dotzauer Károly. Puskamuves, Budapesten

Sourced to ML

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Also stumbled upon 2 other Budapest gunsmiths:

L. Földesy puskamüves - 1894 Advert

Ferencz Knebl vadászfegyvereket(Hunting Weapons) 1922 Advert & he is willing to take on repairs.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting Friedrich Wilhelm Heym with AH stamp peddled by Eustachy Dmytrach of Lwöw from 1929.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Pre-War...un_id=100314768

Looks to be a set of WK and LK initials. Wonder if this was one of the last effort prior to Gebrüder Kelber, Louis & Wilhelm, splitting the sheet?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.