May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stanton Hillis, Hal M Hare, SKB, Guy Ave, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 997 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,545
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jerry66stl
1. What are the ramifications in England of a gun "failing proof"?

2. Does that mean it can't be legally sold?

3. Does a seller have to refund the purchase price?

4. What if it was purchased at auction?

5. Can the owner legally shoot/hunt with an out-of-proof shotgun?

6. Would a hunt club or public shooting range prohibit its use?

JERRY

and what are the actual physical characteristics of a gun which "fails proof" after the proof test?

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, great questions. Answers as I believe them...

1. What are the ramifications in England of a gun "failing proof"?
You can't sell or use it legally.

2. Does that mean it can't be legally sold?
Correct. It is illegal to seel such a gun. Gun Dealers can hold them though.

3. Does a seller have to refund the purchase price?
Almost certainly. But not sure on legal ramifications. Dig or Toby, someone else is sure to give you a proper answer.

4. What if it was purchased at auction?
It is illegal to sell a gun at auction out of proof.

5. Can the owner legally shoot/hunt with an out-of-proof shotgun?
If you own it yes. At your own risk. Guns fall out of proof through normal use.

6. Would a hunt club or public shooting range prohibit its use?
How would they know? smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

3. If anybody sells a gun out of proof in the UK, they commit an offence. The gun is clearly not 'fit for use' and would therefore fall foul of Trading Standards laws. any dealer would certainly be better off quietly refunding the money, a private individual may be harder to deal with but ultimately could be threatened with the law for having committed an offence by selling an out of prof gun.

However, if you submit a gun to proof and it fails, you wear the cost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a nice looking gun! Is there a reason I don't see or missed that it may not pass proof? I think it is a beautiful gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's a black powder only atm. But the barrels are steel. The risk is that it has some pits so I've taken a real punt with it. All down to my barrel man Monday! Whos is a wizard!
T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey, Dig, do Birmingham proof house re-proof using Black Powder ifn you ask for it so it stays like that and doesn't risk full proof? I wonder..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kirby Foote has listed for sale a 28 ga English hammer double with text to the effect that finding English hammer 28s is about as common as finding fresh horse-leavings under the back end of a wooden hobbyhorse.

Looks like you found a good one here, Tony - did that rarity angle have any weight in your decision to buy this gun?

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

AND looks to have a nice piece of wood, in proper straight-grip format. Heel and toe plates too Tony?

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Kirby Foote has listed for sale a 28 ga English hammer double with text to the effect that finding English hammer 28s is about as common as finding fresh horse-leavings under the back end of a wooden hobbyhorse.

Looks like you found a good one here, Tony - did that rarity angle have any weight in your decision to buy this gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Birmingham and London proof will reproof for black powder .They will only reproof if the gun was originaly black powder .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hammerguy, yes I think the wood under there is nice. It's got something you know. The barrels are clearly the risk. It's one I have to take...otherwise I might consider sleeving it.

Gunman thanks for the confirmation. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of difference pressure wise.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.