May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (steve f, RWG, 1 invisible), 916 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,861
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#271953 03/21/12 09:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In a departure from my usual work restoring old guns, I have been asked to make two new shotguns.

They will be built on the Holland & Holland self-opening system.

The first is a 20-bore, the second a 12-bore.

The guns will be made entirely in England, entirely by the best craftsmen at the top of their trade and project managed by me.

I will post regularly so you can see the project taking shape. I think it may be of interest to many readers.

I'm not concerned about any of the standard gunmaking jobs and how to get those done right. The engraving style is the thing that has me most excited and nervous - I want to make it exceptional without being loud and shouty. I'll be drawing heavily on favourite guns from the past as inspiration. We will certainly not be going for the modern fashion of bold scrolls with a bulino game scene.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck on your endeavor Dig!!! I hope it will be a success! Sounds very interesting. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck to you!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds exciting!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig,
As they say on our BBQ forum: "Pictures please. No pictures, it didn't happen". wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't wait to see. What are you going to call them? smile

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig, do you have an engraving style from the past in mind . There were so many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Howz about a modern interpertation of either the James Woodward house pattern from the 1890's or the JW extra finish pattern. Keith Thomas would be a good candidate for this type engraving. This seems to be one of the most eye catching patterns and one not overworked; occasionally copied and on maybe 3000 guns.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't wait to the see the process! Thanks for posting!

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
In a departure from my usual work restoring old guns, I have been asked to make two new shotguns.

Can't wait to see the photos and hear the stories associated.

A dear friend had a gun made in England in the late 80s / early 90s. He has the funniest stories from the +/-5yrs it took to get the gun from order to delivery. I told him he should write a short book to accompany the gun.

One of my favorites is when he happened to be in UK and went with his man managing the project to the engraver, to check status. Apparently the gun had been with the guy for quite some time and when they arrived at his house, the guy was in the garden picking turnips. When 'questioned' why he was gardening and not engraving, they guy just sorta shrugs and says "The garden needed tending."

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So far the only photos would be of the client giving me instructions and me on the phone!

Fear not, as work progresses, I will produce photographic evidence for your amusement.

The client wishes to remain anonymous until the guns are finished, they will carry his name.

Not close to deciding on engraving style yet, it will be a bold scroll pattern but a lot of work has to be done before I can show you anything. But you'll see it as it unfolds. I look forward to many helpful comments along the way from you all.

It is something of an honour to be entrusted with a big project like this, despite not having the 'big name' credentials attached to my firm. Very much looking forward to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.