April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, Roundsworth, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 420 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#269240 03/06/12 12:31 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was recently surfing the net, and came across a beautifully engraved Remington 11-48 by Arnold Griebel who was a very well respected engraver in Chicago in the 40's, 50's and into the 60's.
I enjoy good vintage engraving and wonder what others think of his work. How do you rate his work in comparison to custom work by say Remington and Winchester.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Arnold was very well thought of in his time. I love my Model 32 Remington that he engraved. He was promoted as the best in his era by E.C. Prudhomme, an engraver and critic. John Amber also featured Arnold's engraving prominently in his publications. Where can I look at that Remington 11-48? OK, found it on gunsinternational. I have found most Griebel work to be signed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did Arnold sign his work hidden in his engraving? My Model 21 was featured in the Autumn Edition of double Gun. It is agreed upon my a number of engravers that this gun was his work. I could not find were it was signed. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had Mr Griebel engrave a Ballard and a high wall Winchester in the early 1960s. In each case, I returned them to him for his "signature" which was placed near the trigger. It is not hidden, but is quite small "Engr by A Griebel".

On the first (the Ballard), when I made the request to add his signature, he said "It is not traditional to sign engraving". I had the same experience with another German trained engraver of the same age group. I think they signed work they were especially proud of, but perhaps did not on lesser examples.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess some is and some isn't, but I question some attributions given by supposed experts. Phil, let's take a look at your gun. What page? I assume you are referring to the Autumn 2011 issue of Double Gun Journal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rating the skill and artistic ability of various engravers (which I am frequently asked to do)is something of a tricky business. People who own the work of a particular engraver or factory shop have a financial interest that sometimes colors their opinion.

That said, and to try answer Bill's question, in the overall, Griebel's work was superior to the average run of Remington and Winchester work because he was a freelance artist who generally did work for a more exclusive clientele. "Factory" engraving is usually done to a pattern that has been established at a previous time by the shop's master, or a previous master rather than by the craftsman actually doing the engraving.

Griebel is best known as a gun engraver but until his retirement, he was a full time die engraver and a part time gun engraver. Die engravers are usually quite adept at sculpted relief which shows in the realism of Griebel's relief game scenes. Nevertheless the relief animals by Remington's Carlton Ennis done on the F Premier guns are of the highest quality and equal to Griebel's. As to Winchester' factory work, I have not seen any on Griebel's level unless commissioned to an outside engraver like Sam Welch or Kurt Horvath.

The subject of whose work is superior to who's is often the subject of debate whenever engravers gather (in person or on line). My opinions are based on the study of thousands of examples and my own experience as an engraver but it is still just one man's opinion.

Here is a link to a discussion of favorite engravers going on now on the Engravers Cafe' web forum: http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?11549-favorite-engravers-of-all-time

Reagrds,
Roger

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure there is a revolver in the latest Julia catalog done by him with the assumption it was made for a member of his family due to the profuse engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The article on my 21 in in the Autumn 2011 edition. Pages 114-126. Tom Archer did a fine write up and Terry Allen did some great pictures.
The winter edition also has a gun I owned when the article was written. Not Griebel's work, but a fine engraved A2. PG 102-121. Some days even us regular guys get lucky if we in the right place at the right time. I will do some investigating near the trigger when things settle down this week for a posible signature on the 21.
Phil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Roger for your timely comments---I have both your books and use them regularly as reference.
Phillip, it sounds like you have a fine Griebel engraved M21---lucky you---I'm a M21 fan but have never found an engraved one thay I like or could afford. I have misplaced my DGJ copy, will have another look.
And Eightbore and Terry, you both have fine guns as well.
Thanks everyone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have looked my 12 gauge 21 over closely once again, but find no markings from Griebel. That said everything points to being done by Griebel.
After 64 years the coin finish and engraving are still as nice as the day the gun was received by the owner in 1947.
Can anyone give me the name of a good appraiser? I have been contemplating selling. I shot 2 limits of dove with this gun and then parked it in the safe. The only gun I own that I will not shoot again as it is just so nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.