April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Drew Hause, skeettx), 519 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,097
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DrBob #268886 03/04/12 12:09 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

DrBob,

Get out your CD of back issues of the LACA newsletters and read Buck Hamlin's articles in the February, May, and September 1999 issues. What he did with a heavily pitted set of Damascus L.C. Smith barrels that already had the right tube blown from an obstruction is pretty amazing. I think, after reading this, that you will be able to shoot those RST loads without flinching after your barrels are determined to have adequate wall thickness.

Probably the best thing we all can do to save our digits and eyeballs is to visually check for stuck wads or other bore obstructions every time we reload. This is a lot easier for us than those who shoot pumps and semi-autos. Check and double-check if you fall in mud or snow. Even storage can cause problems. Several years ago, I grabbed my "garage gun", a cheap Stevens break open single shot, and quickly loaded and ran outside to dispatch a garden raiding groundhog. Fortunately, Mr. Groundhog had already suspected something and retired to his hole. I took the gun back into the garage and decided to check for rust in the bore since it hadn't been cleaned in a while. Mud dauber wasps had built a nest about half way down the bore that was about 6 inches long and as hard as a brick. I think that may have been more problematic than a few pits in the bore.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

DrBob #268887 03/04/12 12:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW's post X2

Sidelock
Sidelock

It pays to watch for Mud Dawbers...

Originally Posted By: JDW
Just my two cents, if the bores have never been honed and are the original bores with pitting, removing the pitts is going to do what? It is not going to make it any safer with honed bores and less metal now.
Shoot it with low pressure low velocity loads, like stated, RST's.

Only a dentist knows for sure...

DrBob #268929 03/04/12 12:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a lot us shooting or have shot damascus and twist guns with moderate pitting and worse. How many of them have you read about on here blowing up? Pitted bores are not nice to look at, they bother most people much more than any threat they pose. I believe when Sherman Bell tried to see if any wallhangers would blow up he took 15 random junkers, some severely pitted and put Remington proof loads in them, near 19000 psi if I remember correctly, none blew up. If you like the gun and the wall thickness is deemed good, shoot and enjoy it. If you have wall thickness to spare get them cleaned up if you want.

DrBob #268944 03/04/12 01:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just checked and found that the March 1999 issue of the LACA newsletter also had an article from Buck Hamlin on the progressive attempts at blowing up a heavily pitted L. C. Smith Damascus barrel.

As with the Sherman Bells tests, one or two barrels that survive excessive loads does not prove that they all would pass. As nhcrowshooter points out, we are not getting any reports here of people blowing up their Damacscus doubles. Does this mean they are holding out because of embarrassment, or that they have blown off their fingers and cannot type?

Probably the greatest threat, and one we do commonly see and read about is having guns go off face, or having 100 year old wood getting damaged from loads that produce higher pressures than they were designed to handle even when brand new.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

DrBob #268947 03/04/12 02:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Parrot! I had the same thing happen with a Russky back door gun...Baikal...12 bore & 6.5 Swede..Ran out to shoot a coyote in the pasture, fired the rifle bbl, when I went to reload, checked the 12 barrel..Mud Dobbers... YIKEs, might have blowed my head off, then you wouldnt have to argue with me anymore.... smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
... I have shot every Damascus gun I have owned with appropriate loads depending on my evaluation of the barrels - that is to say, I shoot RST exclusively these days but had shot AA's quite a lot before. I think the accepted minimum wall thickness of a 12 gauge barrel is .0025" for the forward 2/3 of the barrels tapering thicker to the breech to be nothing less than .0090" at the front of the chamber where 'forcing cone' begins.
I have never had a single problem or issue and I never expect to because I don't take chances. And some of my Damascus guns are pretty well pitted in the first 1/3 (from the breech).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but should the accepted minimum wall thicknesses you state have one fewer zero to the right of the decimal, i.e.:
Quote:

" a 12 gauge barrel is .025" for the forward 2/3 of the barrels tapering thicker to the breech to be nothing less than .090" at the front of the chamber

b/c 0.009 - nine-thousandths - is a couple or three hair-thicknesses and looking at the chamber-ends of my barrels show they are more than that.

Regardless, this thread http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17546456 remains required viewing.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 03/04/12 02:02 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
DrBob #268950 03/04/12 02:07 PM
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate the input. I don't have a thickness gauge. We were planning to bring the gun to the NE SxS in June. Jon Hosford is usually there. I may pick up a gauge and get him to show me how to use it, as I am not particulaly mechanically adept. I should probably have one anyways.
From what I have read, pitting is not, in itself, a cause of barrels bursting. On further thought, honing it out to make it uniformly no thicker than the deepest pit would only serve to weaken the entire barrels.

Last edited by DrBob; 03/04/12 02:13 PM.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
DrBob #268954 03/04/12 02:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DrBob
On further thought, honing it out to make it uniformly no thicker than the deepest pit would only serve to weaken the entire barrels.

Now you've got it, Bob. Why further weaken the entire tube!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
DrBob #268956 03/04/12 02:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey L.D., I'll bet we could both find a way to argue even if we both blew our heads off.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.