May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (David Williamson, redoak, 2 invisible), 270 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,574
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am one of those people who scratches their head a bit over M21s, but that gun would make me a convert. Carry it with pride where-ever you go!

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1,000

Second on asking for even more images, please.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are a few more pictures I snapped this a.m. As I rembember, the heel and toe plates were made by Ralph Bone. The last photo is of the pheasant on the left. It is from a favorite painting, called The Thornbird, by the late wildlife artist, Vivi Crandall. I knew it would be a bit difficult to do with part of the head and neck profile backed by the background of the bird's back. It turned out fine, as you can see in the picture about 4 times the size of the actual inlay.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/01/12 12:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

First time I've ever wanted to own one. Thanks a lot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! Had I seen these photos or your gun four years ago, I would have gone forward with a custom rebuild on the 21 I had. It was a very early one, serial #22, and already refinished, so it would have been a good foundation to build upon. You know the "Clunker" Lefever Optimus I had restored instead; the 21 about 2/3 covered the total costs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bet when Daryl shows up somewhere with that gun people remember him!

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, I guess a few might remember me for the gun, but when I tell them I know you, they never forget me.

Terry, it was a fun project and I know you'd have done a great job with your worn 21. I think I did this project about 20 years ago, maybe a bit longer. Things are different nowadays. Here is a history.

Bought the stock blank in the early 70s-----------Cost $19.00

Model 21 bought at a small gun show north of Anchorage. I knew the price was cheap and cringed when the seller came after me when I was walking away. "You forgot the case" he said. It was a Winchester leg of mutton case made for the gun. Cost--$1100

A fellow, whose name escapes me at the moment[later it was Mark Deprez] did the stocks, including checkering and the inletting of the heel and toe plates. ----------------------approx. Cost of stocking--$700.00

Cost to purchase heel and toe plates------------$70.00

Abe Chaber blued the barrels and receiver and furniture. I can't remember for sure, but Cost approx. ------$300.00

Engraving by Sam Welch.--I actually cannot remember, but I know I got more than he charged me------Cost----It doesn't matter.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/01/12 07:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Man...those quail are NICE

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dang, be still my heart! Even though it's missing a trigger I still like it!
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doverham, Montana, and maybe Terry, and let's include others, I never liked the Model 21s in the same fashion as the lovers of these guns did. I thought the lines a bit clumbsy and the total look seemed less quality than the "other" and earlier American classics. My thought when I started the project was that I wanted a gun , a custom gun, for Sam Welch to engrave. I only had knowlege of American guns at that time and could not think of another maker's gun that might at least hold it's own value if it was made into a custom gun. Knowing , or at least hearing of the operating qualities of the 21 made me consider it. The rather gawkey lines that it had in it's basic form made me dream of how I would change it to my [not everyones] taste. I do like the look of the Fox bolsters and I think Sam made the Model 21 bolsters look much the same. I wish you all could have the special gun of your desires and hold it at intervals. I see it and think of it often. There are a few more stories on the gun, but I think this is enough for all of you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.