March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forend cheat sheet I use: Name(s), Patent #, and Date

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammerguy,
Thanks very impressive. I am going to copy onto my computer if that's ok?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey is correct, Diggory also mention it in his book "Vintage guns for the modern shot" P 138 Harvey 'grip catch' of 1866
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any idea what this latch is know as - we see it on many of the perrins guns and has PUSH engraved on it and highlighted in gold?

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PM
Hammerguy,
Thanks very impressive. I am going to copy onto my computer if that's ok?

Of course it's ok. PM me an email address, and I'll send you a better quality version if you desire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Oldfarmer
Any idea what this latch is know as - we see it on many of the perrins guns and has PUSH engraved on it and highlighted in gold?
John

I've always heard/seen it called the Perrins Push, but I've never done much research on it, not being much of a "Perrins guy". Although, Dig has a very sweet little Perrins on his site that may change all that!

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a push latch...says it right on there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yeah, now I remember. Clarence V. Push of Shrewsbury, England invented it 1897. He was a gunsmith. His partner, William Safe, invented the tang slide safety.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This forend latch question has led me to something I've been wondering for a while - two things actually.

First, I realize this was a time of fast-paced experimentation and clearly a sort of darwinian logic prevailed, but who in their right mind would think the Hackett snap-on forend from 1878 is a better mousetrap than the Anson (1872) or Deeley (1873)? I mean, this thing comes along, five or six years after two wonderful mechanical mechanisms were perfected, that you have to slap into place and pry off. I have Ford I dearly love, but it's only flaw is that lego-like forend.

Second, lets say its 1895 and time for me to get a new trio. Im a traditionalist, like my hero Lord Ripon, so I stroll into Audley House and order up some damascus hammerguns. Can I also request the Grip forend latch? I believe it would have been a non-standard piece of hardware for Purdey. Would that route the hardware thorough to a different craftsman, maybe even someone not onsite at Purdey? Or, would they have convinced me their standard Anson was a better/only choice?

I realize neither have a definitive answer, but Im interested in thoughts and wonder if anyone has found any documentation based on research theyve done for their more unusual gun configurations.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand that it was a cost implication with the grip lever being quite complex to make. It is in my opinion the best sort and easiest to operate with Anson push rods being capable of becoming quite stiff. The hacket snap seems to be found mainly on the lower end guns. There is also a push button type on some higher end Scott guns which I don't care for as it required pressure on the button while trying to lift the forend at the same time and both together makes it quite awkward. Working the grip lever lifts the forend away as it is pushed across. Lagopus.....

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.