Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The headmaster of my high school was the Marquis of Ely. Every once in a while he would disappear back to England to sit in the House of Lords.

Now that's pretty off topic. Lol

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, another really nice looking gun, beautiful lines. It's too bad they forgot one of the triggers! Take your $95 and put it towards getting proper dual triggers on the gun, it is a SXS after all. Leave the single trigger option for the O/U's. Just expressing my not-so-humble opinion.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Really lovely but a SELECTIVE single trigger, that would be a deal breaker for me, when one of those goes wrong on a Westley (or a Boss) there are probably less than a handful of people in the world who can fix it PROPERLY, still you own it and it works and maybe it will carry on working for another 80 years ago, I reckon that was a "best" gun, regards, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Patrickwall, I am going to see my mother in the UK on March 1st for a week in Warwickshire, UK and on the 5th I have organised a visit to the new Westley premises through Chris at the factory. If you like I will see if I can get a print copy of the ledger for you which I can then post to you, I am sure Chris wonŽt charge me, best, Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike,

That's an awful nice offer to get a copy of the ledger. Of course, I will accept the offer if you are able to do so, but if there's any issue with it, please don't put yourself out.

Your statement about the selective trigger - what goes wrong with them. IF something does go wrong, would it need to go back to the company or are there gun smiths else where who could fix it?

Thanks again for your kind offer and comments.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

Patrickwall, IŽve got the serial number and IŽll try to get the ledger for you. IŽm not a gunsmith but I do know a number of people who have well over 100 years in the gun business between them. If you are a friend and not just a walk in customer they will admit (but never in print or to a potential buyer, that single triggers go wrong). I have used a Westley single trigger that went wrong but to be honest (and a lot of people here are going to give me grief about this) I wouldnŽt buy a shotgun with a single trigger unless it was an O/U made by one of the big name Italians. I donŽt know if anything will ever go wrong with yours, probably not, Sutherland shot over 1000 elephant with his pair of single trigger .577 Westleys, Elmer Keith never had a problem with his either. If something did go wrong I would ship it to Westley and no-one else, best Mike p.s. when I have the ledger you can pm me your address and IŽll post it over

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
but to be honest (and a lot of people here are going to give me grief about this) I wouldnŽt buy a shotgun with a single trigger unless it was an O/U made by one of the big name Italians.

You won't get any grief from me, ever since I owned a single trigger LC Smith that went off spontaneously (I think it was after my hunting partner) I won't have anything to do with any of those nefarious single trigger contraptions.
Steve
PS even after a gunsmith claimed to have repaired it, it reverted to its evil ways. Some say blame the gunsmith, but I know better!

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 1912 Westley that was redone by Westley with new barrels in 1971. It was a part of a pair. Best 12 Gauge field gun I have ever had. Almost exact configuration. Mine weighs 6lbs, is a droplock, and has a single trigger. Yes single triggers will malfunction but for those of us that are impaired and a lower form we are only able to use single triggers. Mine has the C-Bolt. Love the guns. Westley Droplocks are absolutely best guns. I have Hollands and have owned Purdey's and they are great. But in the field I am always just as happy with a WR. Do your self a favor and get Karena to get you a letter. She is wonderful and gives great customer service.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice Westley. The droplocks similar to yours sold for a similar amount as a Holland Royal, back in the day.
I have a Westley from the 20's with the single trigger feature and I have never had a malfunction. I had an Ithaca 10 gauge magnum with a single trigger and never had a malfunction with it the entire time I owned it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.