May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (HMAK, buckstix), 779 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#265604 02/14/12 07:53 AM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, just got a Sempert-Kreighoff Drilling, 16x16x7x57R. I know that the 7x57R is a rimmed version of the 7x57 Spanish.

My question is, I've been informed that the gun may have been regulated for this round with 173gr bullet. Is there anyway or any info that would confirm this (BTW, the source knows his stuff, so I'm not doubting his word)? I know it has to be shot. Just looking for that warm and fuzy.

Thanks as always!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Norma still makes loaded ammo for the 7x57R.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Graf & Sons carries a good variety to include Hornady, Norma, Sellier & Bellot, and PRVI:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search/keywords/7X57R

Midway USA carries Norma's 156 gr Oryx:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/992962/...point-box-of-20

Cheaper Than Dirt also carries Norma's 156 gr Oryx:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=8526

Sellier & Bellot makes 140 gr, 158 gr, and 173 gr loads but I don't know where you can find all three.

Buchseman

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys!! I did find a source for the rifle ammo, at Grafs. More reasonable than what I thought. The 16ga ammo is no problem, as all I shoot is 2 1/2" loads anyway.

So, are most German drillings in this caliber regulated for the 173gr round?

Thanks again!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

gjw,

I don't expect that you will get an answer to your last question but I have one for you:

Do you reload?

I ask this as we regularly see our post-1912 guns being stamped with bullet type and weight and on the pre-1912 guns the powder type and charge but there is more to it than just that. You will need to start somewhere, in your case with a modern load launching a 173 gr bullet, and see what happens at the distance that you would like to have your gun sighted-in. Your sights were cut for a particular 173 gr bullet, powder charge, and primer combination for a set range. The Sellier & Bellot factory loads using the 173 gr SPCE bullet reportedly fly out of the muzzle at 2378 ft/sec. Finding exactly what youre looking for in a modern cartridge would be a spot of luck.

If you are not lucky out of the gate there are a couple ballistics basics that come into play right off that youll need to consider. A heavier bullet with a like charge used with a lighter bullet will be slower and will produce more recoil thus raising the barrel more as it is influenced by said recoil. And of course the heavier bullet will drop faster (trajectory) as distance increases. Consider the range that you wish to "zero" your rifle barrel. Generally, if you are patterning low with your factory 173s try another factory load with a lighter bullet weight and higher MV. If the 173's shoot high for you at your preferred distance you will have a little more of a project on your hands as right off I dont know of a heavier bullet combination available on the market though one may exist. Either way shooting the gun with the factory 173 gr bullet will give you an idea of the direction you will have to go. All this is if you do not want to mess around with your original sights. Reloading your own affords you a great deal of flexibility. The number of different 7mm bullets available on the market today combined with the different powders and primers will offer you a sizable number of combinations.

There is another way to skin the same cat. If the available factory combinations dont do it for you, you dont have the desire to get into reloading your own and you dont want to alter your original sights there is one more option: Fit or have a competent gunsmith fit your drilling with a new set of rear blades, a new front blade, or new of both front and rear sights/blades and cut them to suit or have them cut to suit. None of the above is overly difficult with the right tools but it can be time consuming.

Im hoping that first you like your new purchase and decide to keep it (after your inspection) and second that factory ammunition will get you very close to where you want to be.

Regards,

Buchseman

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Buchsman, what a wonderful and informative response. I sure do appreciate your time and effort in answering my post. Your a true gent! Thank You!!!!

I think I'll start as you suggested and go from there, may be a bit time consuming, but what a way to spend time.

Time will tell on this one. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!!!!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a drilling in the same combination. I really didn't want to use the 173-175 gr. bullets so I started with some 140's. They didn't work. Then I tried 160's and they fall right under the front bead at 100 yards. Buscheman has offered very good info and you couldn't go wrong taking his advice.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Boxlock
Boxlock

While not an expert I can tell you Sellier and Bellot 173 grain loads are fairly hot. Both Norma and RWS are lower velocity so if the S&B is shooting high try the other two. The velocities are published on the websites.

I handload for my 7x57R and use a scope. It is a very accurate cartridge, easy to load for, and at least in my gun, anything from 140s to 175s shoot very good groups. The only issue would be adjusting the velocity of whichever bullet you wanted to use, which is easily done by adjusting the powder charge,to get it to match the open sights.

For break open guns you may want to look at Hybrid 100-V. It has very much lower pressures at the same or better velocity than most of the powders commonly used in the 7x57s.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.