May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Terry Buffum, smlekid), 277 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,130
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all and many thanks!! I just posted this as a discussion and learning experience. I have little knowledge of Belguim guns, so I'm trying to get as much info on various guns that were made in Belguim. I really have not interest in buying this one, too much $$$.

Still thank you all, I've learned some things!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,

I know I'll get many angry responses to this but it's my opinion nonetheless. I wouldn't buy a Belgian gun with a 10' pole if I were in your shoes. (or in mine) By Belgian gun I mean Belgian but not a Francotte Best or some such other absolutely stellar gun of great provenance.

For similar money you can certainly buy an English gun and perhaps even a modest quality London gun. While a Belgian gun (or Spanish or Italian for that matter) sits there holding its own or depreciating, a London/Birmingham gun is going to be a lot better investment in the long run.

Beyond the investment, a London gun is built like a Swiss Watch and a Belgian gun could be built like absolute garbage or it could be built to a high grade...you almost never know the full story by looking at them.

No one ever tried to make a living faking Belgian guns en masse but that certainly can't be said for London guns being forged by Belgians. I think that speaks volumes as to where the better guns originate.

$6000 would get you a used Birmingham best or a mid-grade London sidelock with a few issues but great to shoot. In my opinion a way better option.

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If a steller sideplated Browning with 28 inch barrels and killer wood is of any interest to you Greg, pm me.

I don't own it, but I know where one can be bought for less money than the gun you posted. If you bought it you can donate ten bucks to Dave.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all and many thanks!! I just posted this as a discussion and learning experience. I have little knowledge of Belguim guns, so I'm trying to get as much info on various guns that were made in Belguim. I really have not interest in buying this one, too much $$$.

Still thank you all, I've learned some things!

Greg,

I would not spend that type of money on a gun without knowing the maker. Here are some links that may help in the future.

This one is mine. I have the Belgian proof marks and over 1,000 maker's marks.
http://damascus-barrels.com/bp.html

This is Little Gun. Alan does not cover every maker, nor does he go into depth, but it is a great resource.
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/a%20a%20artisans%20identifies%20gb.htm

Pete

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Pete, great info!!! Sure is extensive, I appreciate it!!

Say, where would one find the date code?

Thanks again so much!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The date codes are here:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Doverham,

Nice site. However, he is using a single source, "Marquis et Poincons D'Armes en Belgicue" by Bruno Joos De Ter Beerst. Beerst has several errors in his proofmarks. Also, he lists controllers of proof back to 1911. The controllers listing is not accurate prior to 1924.

I used Beerst, Wirnsberger, Kennett and A. Baron Englehart.
Wirnsberg wrote, "A Standard Dictionary of Proofs".
Gun Digest Treasury, Published in 1960 contains a series of articles on European and British proof marks. The articles cover 72 pages it includes many illustrations. The author is A. Baron Englehart

Lee Kennett, "A History of Proof Marks. Gun Proof in Belgium", (highly recommend) from Gun Digest 32nd edition 1978.

Here are the Gun Digest articles by Lee Kennett for proof marks.
22nd Edition Czechoslovakia -1968
23rd Edition Austria Hungary & Austria - 1969
24th Edition France - 1970
25th Edition Spain -1971
26th Edition Italy - 1972
27th Edition Hungary - 1973
28th Edition Russia - 1974
29th Edition Germany -1975
30th Edition Military - 1976
31st Edition England - 1977
32nd Edition Belgium - 1978

Gun Digest Treasury, Published in 1960 contains a series of articles on European and British proof marks. The articles cover 72 pages it includes many illustrations. The author is A. Baron Englehart

Pete

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all!! What I wanted to know is where do you find the date code on the gun itself?

Thanks again, my fault!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,

There is no specified location. If it exists, it will be with the rest of the proof marks. Date codes did not come into use until 1922.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all, ran across this one, just thought I'd get your thoughts on it:

http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/product_details.asp?id=3166

Asking price is 6k. Worth it?

Thanks so much!

Greg

You better like it because at that price it's going to be 'till death due you part'.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.