Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Similar pattern to some of the Ithaca 'many thousands grades' Walt has posted or published.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Flues could really build a fine gun. Every detail done to such a high standard. The .078 min. wall thickness got my attention. Guess he started with a 10 gauge barrel blank and bored it to 12 gauge. Kept the walls thick to keep felt recoil down and make a single barrel gun feel like a double barrel gun. Bet the balance is perfect even with such thick barrel. Must feel like a fine double. The MOI would be interesting.

I think he is a bit high with the starting bid. After all it is number two, not number one and spare parts have to be a bit of a problem. If my O-check ever gets here I have to see if the price has dropped a little. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doubt if you will see the price drop much. This dealer really gets the high end guns, and has a pretty solid customer base as well. He belongs to our area pheasant club and will often bring a special gun for a prospective customer to shoot in real field conditions- a real high end sales tool. I have handled many good (but not guns like he carries) doubles at Cabelas Gun Libraries and Jaqua's in Ohio- but for an avid hunter, there is no better test -IMO anyway- of how the gun you have in mind buying performs on real wings and feathers getting airborne in a 25 knot crosswind--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY, I have serial no. 1 and think this gun, no. 2 , is a wonderful superior example. I am not sure of Joe Wood's heading about the gun. Was the gun was engraved by Flues ?---------Maybe Flues, but maybe Kornbrath. Who can tell?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good catch on grammar, Daryl. Have made an appropriate change.
Thanks

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, I really don't know who engraved the gun, serial no. 2. I have read opinions that Flues did some engraving and Kornbrath also engraved Flues guns. Just opinions. But, serial no. 2 seems to be done by someone with quite a bit of talent. Kornbrath was Austrian and came over here somewhat before we think the Flues gun was made. My guess, given the date, is that Kornbrath did it. That's my "guess".

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/07/12 06:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations on having number 1. Both guns are superior examples of his work I am sure. I think he is one of the more under rated or at least unknown gunsmiths of his generation. Do not know if it is by his choice while living or just how little remains of his work. His talent level was extremely high none the less. I have seen several of his guns that he was thought to have built, engraved and finished all on his own. They were all as near perfect as they could be in fit and finish. But I guess if total lifetime production is only a few hundred custom guns he is just going to remain mostly unknown and under appreciated.

I guess my reference to O-checks (Obama checks or gifts of government money) went over peoples heads. Spent most of the day doing taxes. What my wife and I paid in taxes makes me both sick and poor at the same time. Good thing I do not own number two or I might have to sell it.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.