March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, Southern Sport, Sandlapper, SKB), 281 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My friend and former business partner, Harry Creighton, of Nashville, TN did the metal work on these rifles, and Hal Hartley of Lenoir, NC did the stocks. Harry used Douglas barrels and reamers he purchased from F.K. Elliot of Ramona, CA. Shilen, Hart and Buhmiller barrels were optional.

All but one of the rifles are built on Winchester Model 1886 High Wall actions. The 6mm/.225 uses a coil hammer spring, as opposed to the flat springs in the other rifles. The other action is taken from a Sharps Borschardt .45-70 musket. All feature bushed firing springs, with the pin portion of the striker made from heavy piano wire and virtually unbreakable.

All but two are stocked in maple, which Hal harvested himself from the North Carolina mountains, and are torched to bring out the contrast in the grain. The other two are walnut, from blanks purchased from Flaig's, Millvale, PA. All are made with Niedner steel checkered buttplates and pistol grip caps.

They are shown in the order in which acquired, the first obtained in 1958 and the last shortly before Hal Hartley's death, in the early 1980's. Hal died in 1984 of a stroke and Harry Creighton died a year later, in 1985, of a heart attack.

.219 Ackley Improved Zipper

.218 Bee

.250-3000R

.25 Ackley Improved Krag

6mm/.225 Winchester

.30-40 Krag

7X57 R

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice guns.

What is the process where the "maple is torched to bring out the grain?"

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

A way of darkening Maple and at the same time brings out contrast in the fiddleback figure.
IIRC he used to coat the wood with linseed before toasting it lightly with the torch,,carefull of the edges!

Just one persons way of doing something.
Most people just stain maple with alcohol based stain,, or ferric (iron) nitrate & heat was an early way to color it.

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roy Dunlap describes the process in his book "Gunsmithing" on page 537. He refers to it as the Japanese Suigi process, in which a careful application of the flame of a blow torch brings out the "fiddleback" in the wood. It was a process also described by Alvin Linden in his book on stockmaking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice-looking guns, please stick around, we need more folks that can answer questions about post-World War II custom makers.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have a wonderful group of custom single shots! I especially like the .218 Bee, but the .30-40 is a very close second in eye appeal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The wood must be dry and free of oil. Generally the finish sanded stock is dampened and quickly dried to raise the grain (aka "whiskering"). The torch is applied to the wood, scorching the end grain and leaving the flat grain only slightly darkened. If done correctly, this process results in a depth of figure that is unobtainable with any other method. The only thing that I have found that comes close is aqua fortis heated with a heat gun.

I knew both Hal Hartley and Harry Creighton well. Both were extremely fine men that I am proud to have known. Harry was a fine baseball player and photographer, while Hal was an occasional writer and former boxer. I do not know whether Xausa is aware that Hal was the former amateur boxing champion in North Carolina before WWII (I think probably middle-weight).

Hal cut a lot of sugar maple in the Blue Ridge mountains surrounding his home in Lenoir, NC. Some of the maple found there is superb, and Hal found some of the best. He was not adverse to using maple and other woods from other sources, often purchasing product from suppliers in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found on another forum:

"The original owner of (one of Hal's) gun was doing electrical work at Hal's shop. There is a wood stove. Hal is working on a stock. The customer comes in and complains "What's taking so long with that stock". Hal tosses it in the wood stove " Just finished it".

It reminded me of the famous sign in Harry Pope's shop, "If you want to know when your job will be finished, the answer is NOW!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful guns; thanks for sharing. Maple makes sense to me on varmint rifles with some "reach" but not so much on guns that have to be toted a piece--the maple stocked ones I've handled were kind of heavy.

Any details on how the ".250-3000R" was formed? Parent case?

And I DO especially like the .30-40 (but it is hard to choose among these!).

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At the time I built it, the only rimmed Mauser type cases available were Norma 8X57R, so that's what I used, employing a set of RCBS forming dies made to form .250-3000 from .30-'06. Today I might use 7X57R.

I have seen High Walls with rimless extractors, but they didn't appear very effective to me, and cases are sometimes hard to extract from a High Wall varmint rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.