May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jeremy Pearce, Marks_21, bushveld, 1 invisible), 589 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,044
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#26328 02/17/07 11:59 AM
RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello All,
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I have a powerful urge to hunt with a nice damascus Lefever. I have been looking for a decent E or F grade gun with good solid wood, barrels and action. Twelve gauge is OK. I have located a few candidates for my project. Prices are fairly consistent from gun to gun. I am planning to have the barrels refinished, action recolored. I will recut the checkering and refinish the wood. This gun will not be resold, and I am not expecting to ever make money on it. In my old age, I just want to follow my setter and pointer through the woods with a nice old classic.
I am looking for an idea of what I should expect a fair price to be, and any suggestions of reputable people to buy from.
Thanks in advance

I can't be too bad, my dogs will kiss me.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is one of those "it depends" questions. In my opinion (FWIW) the Lefevers are a bit underappreciated relative to the contemporaneous Parkers, Smiths, and Foxes. Don't know why, but it may have something to do with people's confusion with Nitro Lefevers. However, if you are looking for a high grade expect to pay accordingly. If you are looking for a reputable dealer, look at the list of dealers listed on this site. I believe Ivory Beads has a EE for sale that I would love to own. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The money pit at Ivory Beads is advertised as an FE. How about this one at GunBroker?

Short chambered and has a pad but you wouldn't be refinishing and pounding out dents I don't think. His reserve is right there in the fine print. You might get a "shootable" F or G for $600 but that's about all you would get.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ivory Beads gun may be steel-barreled.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

RGS, here are some pics of a G grade I found by surfing all the double gun vendors on this site and some others I came across in sporting magazines. I had the same goal you do, hunting with a damascus Lefever, but if you're a junior member I have a few years on you. I had an absolute ball hunting rabbits with the gun this year! It's a 12 gauge with 30" barrels and F & F chokes, just what I wanted. The gun has wonderful modern dimensions at 1-1/2" DAC, 2" DAH, and 14-5/8" LOP. Weight = 7-1/2 pounds! I couldn't have ordered a better gun from Uncle Dan if I was around in 1894 myself! Incidentally, the dark streak behind the right lockplate is a hunting scratch, not a crack. I see you're in the Laurel Mountains. I assume that's in PA too. Keep looking and good luck! Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Down to brass tacks. I'm going to look like an idiot if you find many "decent" F grade guns much under 1K. But if you do, let me know of the whereabouts of those you don't take. Silvers makes a good point about modern high comb dimensions. They are out there; my 1902 FE is stocked to that fashion.

jack

RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Rabbit,
Where is the gun you posted the picture of at on Gunbroker? I tried to find it, but it doesn't show up for me.
Thanks,
Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

The auction for the gun that rabbit posted has closed. High bid was $1500, but did not meet the reserve.
I see his reserve was $2999. Real clever to list the "secret" reserve in the gun description!

Last edited by Jim Legg; 02/17/07 09:43 PM.

> Jim Legg <

RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Silvers,
Yes I am in Pa. About 5 miles from Fort Ligonier. I looked at the E grade at Cabela's in Hamburg right about the same time you did. They had 2 more, a 10gauge and an F grade 12 that wasn't too bad, but I was meeting a GSP breeder and didnt have time to get anyone to unlock all the locks on the F 12 gauge. Tag said 900.00

Sidelock
Sidelock

RGS, I am in the other end of the state, NE corner. Yes, that E grade at Cabelas caught my eye but it would have taken a lot of work and $ to get it up to snuff. Better to buy a nice one to begin with. I do see Syracuse Lefevers at shoots and shows from time to time. Before I got my G grade I looked at a nice one at the Southern SxS in NC last Spring. It might have been an E or F grade but that was before I was really interested in them. The stock was redone but it was a great job, and the gun had fairly high stock dimensions. It came up well when I shouldered it. I don't remember which vendor had it, probably sold by now. I saw another one last spring at a shoot and I think the vendor still has it. I don't remember the grade. I'll send you a PM with the guy's website. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.