March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#262096 01/23/12 01:46 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I apologize in advance for raising this much discussed topic from the dead only to animate it once again. Here goes.

Buck Hamlin: My aging memory says that he was recommended for Black & White Damascus, but can anyone verify if he's adept at browning as well?

I guess my question is basically, who do you think is (are) the best to do this work?

Now the impossible question: Ballpark estimate?

I've been going back and forth with these barrels for nigh two years and I've settled on definitely wanting them re-browned.

Many Thanks - Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Browning goes for about $425 a gun. I found Kearcher's work to be mediocre. That isn't a slam, nor is it praise, his work just "Is".

I've seen a lot of Brit guns with spectacular Damascus refinishing and I've seen mostly mediocre guns redone in America. I do not know who does exquisite work but when you find out, let me know and send pictures!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Basically the only difference between black and white and browning is that the barrels aren't boiled for browning, but both are still etched to bring out the pattern.
If Buck Hamlin can do the black and white, I don't see why he couldn't do the browning.

The hardest thing is doing either one is the prep.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not true. For one, black is very easy to attain and can be helped along with things like logwood.With brown and white, however, the difference in the metals involved influences very heavily the rate at which they accept color and the techniques used to create contrast. I've had barrels come out beautifully with relatively little effort, and others that it seemed no matter what I tried, striking contrast would not come. I'd like to say I've learned a good bit through experience because I haven't had severe issues lately, but almost every set of barrels is different. That in mind, I'm certain I'll still have occaisional problems down the road.
I do agree with Rookhawk, I've seen some of Kearcher's work that I thought I could do better on. However, since I didn't work on that particular set, I'll never know for sure.
This is why many won't fool with brown and white finishes anymore, and I wonder at times why I do.
Luck,
Jim

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny, we no longer do black and white. We have no problems with brown and white. Different strokes for different folks.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc: you might talk to Sergey Lyalko in Natick
http://www.rustbluing.com/index.html

I've only seen 'browning' by Buck.

Other options at the bottom here
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_192fcpp4khn

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew - It's 'browning' that I'm after! How would you rate Buck on his browning?

Have you seen Sergey's browning? He's in my state, so that's a plus.

I don't mean to set up a heartless battle of the bands. But please understand, if I'm going to roll the dice I want the best shot I can get (what a stupid thing to say, why WOULDN'T I or anyone else want the best?)

Thanks Again

Sidelock
Sidelock

An example of Buck's browning; Smith Chain damascus

A picky Parker Philadelphia phella spoke highly of Segey, but he may only do 'black & white'. Craig Smith, and many others, do both quite nicely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck Hamlin has done several lovely browning jobs for me. His work is first class.

However, because his efforts are so highly regarded, he usually has a long backlog. I recently took a vintage SxS shotgun to him for a complete restoration, and he said it will be about a year until completion. In my opinion, his superb workmanship is well worth the wait.

Besides, I just happen to have a few other shotguns to use in the interim.

A barrel browning may not take that long.

JERRY

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now I can't find his phone number! That's what happens when you put things off for almost 2 years. Especially in this house!

Anybody got Buck Hamlin's phone number handy?

I appreciate it if you can spare me a di...phone number

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.