May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (FallCreekFan, Marks_21, Jimmy W, 3 invisible), 363 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,525
Posts545,829
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always believed that any firearm made prior to 1899 qualified as an "antique" under BATF regulations. However; Please carefully read Section B item ii below.
Jim

Q: What qualifies as an antique firearm?
As defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) the term antique firearm means

A.any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
B.any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica i.is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
ii.uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

C.any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term antique firearm shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If your are dealing with a gun manufactured prior to 1899, section A is all you need. Sections B and C give additional reasons for guns to not be considered fireams. Notice the "or" before sections B and C.

In section A, read carefully. The part in parenthesis, saying "including", this does not mean "only" Just like the sentence, "Mammals (including dogs and cats) are warm-blooded animals." does not mean only dogs and cats.

If you don't understand this, send a letter to the BATF for a written statement. Ask them about the Colt Single Action, for example.

The key to antique status based on Section A is proving manufacture prior to 1899 to the satisfaction of the BATF.

As I am not an attorney, this is not legal advice, just my personal opinion. Contacting an attorney specializing in firearm questions, or the BATF, is recommended for actual legal advice.

Last edited by vangulil; 01/01/12 12:32 PM.
keith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I note that in another current thread, "BUYING FROM CALIFORNIA", the respondants all claim that there is no special treatment for Antiques there. But my seller has already entered this gun in his A&D book and I sure don't see him scribbling it out now. Hopefully I will be able to show my FFL that there is no need to continue treating this particular antique as a post 1898 firearm.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun in question arrived today and my FFL claimed that he had to do a transfer if it was entered in the sellers books. After a bit of discussion where I quoted some of the replies here, he called the ATF field office and was told to enter it in his book as an Antique, but no transfer was necessary.

Many thanks to all.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
The gun in question arrived today and my FFL claimed that he had to do a transfer if it was entered in the sellers books. After a bit of discussion where I quoted some of the replies here, he called the ATF field office and was told to enter it in his book as an Antique, but no transfer was necessary.

Many thanks to all.

Geez Keith:
You got a sensible answer from those folks?? grin
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
keith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well Jim, my FFL dealer did take note of the name of the agent he spoke with and recorded that in his book as well. C.Y.A., I guess.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.