May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, ClapperZapper, aw1776, 4 invisible), 512 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,433
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just that you Americans take so much interest in the activities of the British proof houses ,yet you are so reluctant to take the plunge and get you own proof authority .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman I agree. Quite a paradox. And I am that way myself. Have a great interest in everything to do with British shotguns including the proof houses. I much appreciate that you are posting here too. I read all your posts and am fascinated by your memories and experiences in the British gun trade.

Also, tn regard to the bright colors. in several states Aunty has decided that hunters need to wear Blaze Orange. Not in Texas though.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman,
Yes, it's an interest here, but it's primarily the vintage English gun collector/shooters that actually have an interest in using a proof house. And it's a small segment of those English gun collectors that have that need. So, in the scheme of things, it's a tiny number.

Having a technical interest is a lot different than wanting proof law.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gunman, would you happen to know if one of the requirements to proof a gun in Britain would be for it to be properly registered.

I think it would be a true shame to be forced by law to put an American proof stamp on a vintage British best gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: 2-piper

....I do not perceive Registration as Larry's intent in favor of this nor is my objection to it based on this aspect....

Snip or no snip, I do not believe that was Larry's intent either. It does seem like you got my point though. Larry uses examples that have nothing to do with nor do they support the case for a mandatory proof house in America.

I see Larry's justifications as changing and evolving, the ends justify the means. Way back around the biggest of mulberry bushes, he was sure mandating British style proof marks on some guns was going to protect uninformed consumers. Now, there is a consumer education component to contend with. I see another huge problem here, as the the reason for a proof house was because the consumer could not be trusted to acquire the proper education on their own.

Buzz noted he would be the most disappointed of all if the imposition of a proof house was used for anything other than lofty ideals. Trouble is to me, I haven't noticed any possible safe guards against using a proof house to pursuit opposing agendas. The vehicle analogy may not fit completely, but I've noticed how it is much more expensive to drive something that isn't on some pc correct list.

As Ronald Reagan said in the debates (back when they were more interesting!): "Now there you go again!" Craig, do me the courtesy of sticking to reading what's ON the lines I write rather than imparting your bizarre spin to what you think you can find BETWEEN the lines. "Acquiring the proper education . . . " Oh, if it were only so easy. When I look at a gun, I can tell what length the chambers are, because I have a chamber gauge. I can measure bore and choke, because I have a bore and choke gauge. I can measure wall thickness, because I have a wall thickness gauge. So it ain't only education that's at issue, Craig, but also a whole kit full of tools--and knowing how to use them--as well as knowing what to look for. To those that don't have all those tools, we often say "Take it to a good gunsmith for an evaluation." Well, that's practical for me right now, because Mark Beasland doesn't live that far down the road. Hugh Lomas is a bit farther away. When I lived in Iowa (more densely populated area than the part of WI where I now live), I didn't have a single experienced doublegun smith anywhere near me. So, good advice, but it doesn't work for everyone. And not everyone who goes out to buy their first sxs is going to read this BB before doing so. So, once again . . . do I prefer the system that exists in England and other CIP countries to the nonsystem that exists here? Yes I do. Do I recognize that such a system would be difficult to create here? Again, yes. But I find it much more comforting to pick up my vintage Sauer and know from the proofmarks that the fact it's overbored does not mean it's been significantly tampered with (and is in fact "out of proof" due to bore diameter as a 20ga), but rather that it left the factory that way. As opposed to picking up a vintage whatever American gun, and not being sure whether it left the factory with 2 3/4" chambers (unless I can access the factory records) or whether Bubba decided it ought to be 2 3/4" so the owner can run down to WalMart for ammunition. To me, determining which of those is a preferable situation is a no-brainer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ALL gun banners without exception start with " In the interest of public safety".Do please look at what has happened to the Brits since Oh,say WW2.

N.R.A lifer
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Never a good idea to try to "snip" someone else's words and form your own opinion of what they're saying. The likely result is that you read not what the other guy is saying, but your erroneous, "snipped" interpretation of what he's saying. You have a right to your opinion, but not to modify my opinion....

....A requirement for reproof following significant modification is all part of the process of consumer education. And yes, I see consumer education as a good thing...

Larry the reason I snip out the quotes are to highlight your actual words, and let others know that there was more either before and or after if they feel I've taken something out of context. Instead of calling you bizarre, erroneous, etc., I remove the stuffing and get to my opinion of the point of the issue.

Take for instance your last post, thank you for expanding on your level of knowledge and the tooling that goes along with it. It adds to your credibility, but how does in reconcile with the above quote, 'process of consumer education'. You propose a government run proof house, with no plan to force compliance, unless you plan law enforcement spot checks of gun shows and dealerships. Maybe, full time positions dedicated to tracking, identifying and prosecuting one bubba at a time, admittedly my read between the lines.

Anyway, whose gonna do the educating and how are they going to determine its effectiveness. You'd think it would be the government proof house as stumbling on an adequate forum may not be reliable. I believe it's reasonable to question off hand comments that are presented as givens, eg. the above passing mention of education. I believe it's also reasonable to point out that some 'equivocating' doesn't make the case, and why not be open to reading between the lines.

I'm sorry that it rubs you wrong, but I appreciate the good discussion. You offer much more than my way is the best. I always enjoy visiting relatives in your now home state, hope there were a few grouse around your area. It was shirt sleeve warm when I was there in October, so it was walleyes instead of ducks.

Take care, Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last time I filled out a life insurance application there were many questions about how I lived my life:

Are you a pilot?

How much do you fly a year?

How many hours do you have?

Do you ride a motorcycle?

Do you drink alcohol?

Do you use tobacco?

Do you use illegal drugs?

Have you ever been treated for addiction?

Have you ever been arrested for DUI?

Some questions that weren't on there:

Do you eat game taken with lead projectiles?

Do you hunt?

Do you shoot unproofed shotguns?

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig. All guns submitted to British Proof are currently recorded. The Proof houses are exempt in British law of any licence themselves. 30 years ago I took guns to proof and was never asked for any authority to posses. But things have changed ,thanks to stupid politicians, so I would assume that all guns submitted privately would need to be licenced. All guns submitted by the trade would need to be on an RFD licence.
Reciprocal proof arrangements have been in operation for years ,the main criteria was that one country would recognise the proof of another if it had a state controlled proof or a proof house run under Government statute. This was prior to the current CIP arrangement. Thus a gun proofed in Italy for example would have its proof status recognised by the US [if the US had proof houses run under Fedral statute] and vice versa.No need to reproof unless necessary for what ever reason.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Reciprocal proof arrangements have been in operation for years ,the main criteria was that one country would recognise the proof of another if it had a state controlled proof or a proof house run under Government statute.

Am I to take it that British Proof would thus not be recognized by other countries as it has "So Forcibly" been pointed to us Rebellious Colonists that British proof is run by the "Gunmakers" & "NOT" the State/Government???

Me-Thinks you Brits have run afoul trying to convince us your proof does not have the teeth of the Gov in it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.