April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (KY Jon, Jem Finch, ClapperZapper, CJ Dawe, bigblock, 2 invisible), 923 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,131
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

As always, Great stuff Mal!!! smile
What did he say about his Purdey? "A Good friend" Must have saved his life a few times.
But he really liked that John Dickson and praised it throughout the book.

Yep, building and USING dangerous game guns since the 1830s, I'd say the English know a little something about building guns!!

Thanks Mal!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, As I recall "a good and old friend, I used it on the plains of Hindustan when I was a young Subaltern there." Unsworth illustrates it in its case with most of its original accessories.

Unsworth also relates that it was put to auction by a member of the Gordon-Cumming family; but "could not be the rifle used in Africa, as it was much too early". I guess he didn't read Roulin's introductory chapter where the above info is found. I have closely read the entire 2 vols. "Five years of A Hunters Life" looking for more clues about my rifle but found nothing definitive. The case does look as if it has seen a LOT of careful use like sliding around in a waggon for 5 years. The rifle has most of its original finish [barrels rebrowned long ago], as is correct for a used but cared for peice. It is neat in that it has grip safety and external intercepting safety sears. The case contains spare mainsprings and 2 bullet molds, one for a short conical bullet. There is also a large bone container for nipples.

I think the Dickson 2-groove went through Julia's auction a few years ago; after he had the barrels replaced upon his return, and before he went on his lecture tours relating his African experiance. As I recall, the patchbox was engraved with waggons etc. My guess is it was rebuilt and re-engraved, as the rifle was in fine condition, but showed that it had some heavy use before refurbishing.

Best, Mal

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mal, I have looked through the early records and no mention of Roualeyn Gordon Cumming so you are right in thinking he may have bought it second-hand. Look out for an extract about his Dickson rifle in the new Dickson book though.

As for which rifle it could be, this is difficult as not calibres are recorded and some shotguns had additional rifle barrels fitted and the calibre of the rifle barrels is not recorded!

The rifles that passed through Julias in the last few years were No.1087, a double 8 bore and No.1089, a 60 Cal double.

There was a lot of press coverage in Edinburgh during the 1850's on the trials of Dicksons two-groove rifles and how well they worked and how accurate they were. Dickson built a small number of long-range experimental rifles which were sighted for 1000 yards and was one of the first companies to introduce a telescopic sight to benefit the range of the rifle in 1850 (rifle No.1406). Dickson's were building this type of rifle from the mid-1830s, some 20 years before Purdey coined the term 'Express'!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on Fletch there's got to be someway or somehow we can track down this Dickson. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend of mine had a double barreled Dickson .54 two groove rifle, and shooting round balls it was by far the most accurate and well regulated double muzzleloader I have ever seen.

It put most cartridge doubles to shame. But, that's what one would expect from a Dickson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although my Purdey percussion express rifles shoot winged conical well, they REALLY shoot patched round ball; and with half the bother. Something about the 1 turn in 60 inch twist, I think.

Best,
Mal

Last edited by Mal Mac Gregor; 12/31/12 06:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just wondered if you had gotten my info JP. Thanks.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Fletchpair, Mike Rowe

The welding is done, worked out quite well, after studying the engraving on the rest of the gun carefully I believe that I came close to replicating what was there before, I just need to antique the cut and blend the finish
Next will be a nice leather pad to lengthen the pull a bit…… the owner seems to be quite happy so far

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just a follow up for all that have asked - the Dickson book is at the publishers (Quiller) now and will be available next Autumn. There will be only a 1000 copies, available through the Dickson shop in Edinburgh or direct from Donald Dallas himself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And how can we get them through Mr Dallas?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.