March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cool job! I wouldn't have been able to tell if the part was broken or not at all!

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJO
Yes, you can go further than that. Go past the curve of the knuckle, then bevel the front edge to match that curve.
BTW What is the patent use number on that gun? Is it a side lever or top lever?

LD1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sir,

I know that Dickson owns all the records of Alexander Henry. Does the Dickson Dallas book contain a chapter about Alexander Henry? If not do you know if Dallas is going to write abook about Alexander Henry. I have some very nice and unique Henry rifles that I could photograph and send information on them if such a book or chapter is in the works.

Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hope I'm not too late. If you will give me an e-mail address I will send you the info on my round action specimen.

Boxlock
Boxlock

can provide whatever information would be useful on the following:
#5334 round action -original 29" damascus barrels 21/2"--63 prince street
#5419 round action--resleeved 29" teague barrels 23/4"63 prince street-
#16074 12 ga scalloped boxlock--27"--proof marks are birmingham 1925-1954--barrels stamped john dickson and sons---no adress
dickson said it was a trade gun and said they didnt know more---i would like any information on this awesome game gun
#4825 20 ga staight boxlock--graham mackinlay estimates 1930 says the serial number obviously does not run with basic dickson #s--i have not talked to dickson about this gun but will in the next few days--can you shed any light on this?
they all stop birds in the air and are a joy to handle
very keen to see the dickson book

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the insight Mike,Fletchpair

You are absolutely correct….I think the poor fitting fore-end must have had something to do with the break on this one, looks like the wood had shrunk quite a bit over the years, and no longer fit the contour of the barrels…. this, combined with the loose fit between the F-E iron and the F-E loop allowed enough wobble on the knuckle to pinch and bend the end of the plate upon opening the gun.
I smoked the wood back on to the barrels…fortunately there was enough wood to do this, and welded up the iron, now that the F-E is properly fitted I think I have substantially reduced the chances of a reoccurrence.

Mike, I will build up the plate a bit more as you suggested and engrave to match.
The gun is a top lever non ejector…patent # is on the picture

Thanks and all Best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can give you info on a John Dickson round action ser#5757 26" sleeved bbls, steel on damascus, with no engraving except for a little border. Work was done in England. Very nice lite gun but because of lack of engraving it looked plain.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great info guys keep it coming!

PM me for my email address to send any info you want to keep private. Some of you have submitted info and pictures that will be included in the book and current owners names have been removed, but you already know who you are.

LD1 - Sorry no chapter on Henry and no plans for a Henry book from Dallas yet. He is busy revising the Purdey book for the bi-centenary edition next year. (Henry's great grandson is now a member on this board and has submitted so great info already)

Dickson built over 100 Henry Patent Rifles, they all carried a Henry patent use number, but the why would you buy a Henry rifle from Dickson when you could walk a couple of streets away and have the same thing from the original manufacturer?

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about R. Gordon Cumming's John Dickson double rifle he took to Africa in 1850?? smile

"The most perfect rifle I have ever used"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig,
R. Gordon Cumming was in Africa during the mid 1840's. His Dickson was a BIG rifle; I believe a 6 bore 2-groove double. Much better for elephant than his Moore and Purdey 16 bores which he was forced to use once he "lost" the Dickson due to a barrel blowing up. It would be great to find its specs in the ledgers, but it may have been made for someone else and he bought it used before his trip. Still, there could not be too many rifles like it made.

I believe I have his Purdey 16 which he also bought used. He took it to India when he went there with the military in the 1830's It was built in 1832, From counting listed rifles in Unsworth, the 10th double rifle Purdey made.

Best and Happy New Year!

Mal

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.