April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (KY Jon), 371 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am interested in importing a shotgun from the UK and I am trying to figure out if the cost of doing so would be effective. Does any one know what the total approx. cost that I should count on adding to the price of the gun? Thanks for any help.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Does the seller have an export permit? Is the modern or pre 1898? What is the value of the gun? Lot of variables to consider. You can do a search here and find old post that coever the issues.

As a general rule if you are paying someone to handle both ends and all the shipping will set you back 500-750. It will go up from there if you need extra insurance or have import duties to pay. Some will do it for a little less and some for a lot more. You get what you pay for. If someone is shipping several other guns at the same time you may get a slightly better deal. It can be a lot of time and work for one gun. More so if you are dealing with govt. people who do not know what to do and act like you are dumber than they are. A small miracle in most cases.

Best bet is to have someone who does it on a regular basis do it for you. SKB would be my bet at http://www.bertramandco.com .

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are folks that will do that for you and I have tried it both ways. Doing it myself and letting someone else get the customs work done. You are much better off getting someone else to do it. It will cost you about $350 to $400 per gun. That is what it cost the last time I did it plus your costs to your FFL dealer.

Good Luck.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The cost of the shotgun in conversion to USD is about $2000 and it is modern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked into this several months ago for a Wilkes boxlock. Chuck Lutz at TR Imports provided the following information. Note that this excludes shipping costs, which can vary a bit depending whether other guns are being shipped over at the same time. Francis Lovel in the UK may be able to help with the shipping if your seller is unable to arrange that.

Quote:
We no longer handle shipping arrangements, because experience has shown that you can nearly always get better rates and ship sooner if it is handled by the seller, but we can certainly import your gun. Our fee is a flat $95, and we will have to pass along the air carrier terminal fee of $50 and in your case, customs broker expenses, (because your gun is valued at more than $2,000, it requires a formal entry, the expense for which should be a little under $200). Finally, shotguns from the U.K. are subject to a duty of 2.6% ($72.80). In all, excluding shipping, your total expense on our end should be less than $417.80

British Sporting Arms in Milbrook, NY also provides importing services but their fees are a bit higher.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
larryguy
Unregistered
larryguy
Unregistered

Contact information for TR Imports? British Sporting Arms import services run from $1000 up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck Lutz
T R Imports Inc
1540 Keller Pkwy, suite 103
Keller, TX 76248
(817) 750-2291
(800) 961-7812
fax (817) 581-4222
chuck.lutz@trimports.com

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have an export dealer in the UK contact Briley here in the states. They are good at it.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is just personal opinion, but it is one based on a fair amount of experience.

1. Importing in general is a tremendous hassle.

2. You can do it yourself and have it make sense if you're bringing in 3-5 guns at a time AND if they are all made pre-1899.

3. If the gun is made post 1899, bringing it in rarely makes sense unless the gun is a $25k+ weapon. The fixed costs and hassles are so great, it erodes any "bargain" that may have been found in the UK on a post-1899 weapon unless the gun is truly priceless and one of a kind.

4. If you're bringing in pre-1899 guns and you're handling all the paperwork yourself, by the end of the hassle with customs and border protection you will positively be a small-government libertarian minded voter. No one stays a democrat or even a moderate republican once they've experienced customs and border protection's "value-add" to big government bureaucracy. Never have I met more useless people than the front desk folks with a gun and a badge at O'Hare Intl Airport. Those with a soul, a whit, and a sense of customer service are kept away from customers on the 3rd floor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would recommend contacting John Farugia, owner of Cheshire Gun Room, 29 Buxton Road, Heavily Stockport, Cheshire SK2 6LS UK Telephone & Int. +44 161 480 8222 Mobile 07973 333 129 E-Mail
info@CheshireGunRoom.com Web Site www.CheshireGunRoom.com

John has brought a number of guns into the U.S. from the U.K. for me over the years at a very reasonable cost with no problems.

Caution: Do not let them ship your gun through Customs at Charlotte, North Carolina. There are a bunch of thieves there.

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.