May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, Birdog, mark, Jtplumb, Argo44, CJF), 246 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,918
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the suggestions. What is most important to me is the PERIOD restoration. Same bluing, stock finish, etc. as when originally made. The interior lock mechanisms are truly amazing if I didn't know better I'd think they were Nickle plated, bright and smooth. As I questioned earlier wondering what type finish/metal processing it is that retards rust and wear yet appears to not have an added finish?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would consult with Doug Turnbull himself. If for no other reason than he has probably seen more restoration candidates than any other smiths. His recommendation would be what I'd do and his diverse experience with metal and wood finishes is likely second to none or close enough that you wouldn't be going wrong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

plus, if you get a receipt from turnbull, you might get some of your money back come resale time...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

In order to do what you propose the breech plugs will need to be removed. Until you can find someone with a proper wrench to do that I would not recommend proceeding.
Take a close look at them from the rear and hopefully you will see how problematic removal truly is.

SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've had the barrels off many times and that was my reason for questioning if having the Damascus pattern restored would damage the existing Silver/Gold plating on the Breech or the Platinum(?) blow out plugs. I'm not familiar with how the Breech is attached on a Muzzleloader but it sure doesn't look like it is screwed on in any way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SIXSKB didn't ask for our opinion on whether or not to restore, but simply who could do a good job in his locale. Still, I agree with OWD's opinion that nice original collectible guns should not be restored. Usually, it's not the guns that are rare. What's rare is original remaining condition. Once restored, that is lost to history forever. It boils down to whether you consider yourself a property owner who can do whatever he damn well pleases, or if you would rather be a custodian who enjoys and preserves a gun for future generations.

There are common and abused guns that will never be hurt by a good and proper restoration and there are guns that should be left alone and enjoyed just as they are with character that can only be acquired by decades of careful use. This gun sounds like it is in the latter category. If I wish to see a gun in it's original pristine glory, then the hunt is on to find such a specimen and pay the price. During the hunt, I am sure to see several that were ruined forever by folks who took the tack that they should do exactly as they please with their guns. Maybe the specimen I buy would be one that someone else has already restored, but at least I will not be adding another restored gun to the pool of surving specimens.

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their own personal property here. But I am giving my opinion and hoping to sway more people into a similar mindset. There are sound arguements from both camps. There are comparisons to auto restorers who do this all the time and there are comparisons to numismatists who abhore the mere removal of tarnish. Since this is a Scottish gun, there is always the possibility that this gun was sent back and refreshed a time or two before it ever made it to our shores. Or not. We all have to decide if we wish to contribute to irreversible removal of one more sound specimen with originality and character acquired by the wear associated with a century of intended usage. I enjoy those quiet time in the woods when I can look at the piece I am using and thinking about previous owners/hunters who are probably in their graves, and about how they picked up this dent or that little scratch. I know I recall every one that I ever added to a gun and I would rather shed blood in the blackberries and hawthornes that let it happen. But it happens. There's a memory and story behind every one. Memories fade easily enough without intentionally erasing them.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I've had reservations on having the finish restored, however I'm from the school of thought that a gun is made to be used except for those rare display pieces. The Royal Armory has 2 of the maker's guns, one on display. The gun has not been "refreshed" I personally know it's history for the past 100 years. The first 50? There was obviously an attachment at one time to the silver inlaid shield, (crest, coat of arms, initials?), we'll never know who it was originally made for. The gun was brought to the states in the early 1900's by a very well to do young Scottish imigrant. What I am sure of is that the gun has seen more shots fired out of it and carry/daily cleaning wear in the past 2 years than in it's prior 150 years. The stock finish has severly darkened over the years and is hiding it's beautifully figured grain. The damascus pattern is showing wear at the muzzles from handling from cleaning and near the breech from carrying. The carrying and cleaning has all but eliminated the gold in the engraving in the breech. This gun is so light and lively, it was made to shoot, and I've had more fun with it than should be legal. The joy of when that wonderfully smelling smoke clears and your dog is retreiving a Pheasant or Grouse is too much to keep to yourself, it's a good thing that I mostly hunt by myself, I don't think most people would understand the smiles and at times out loud laughter.
I have no reservations on hunting with a "pretty" gun which is why I am considering having a finish restoration done.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.