March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, Dan R, CJF, Gerry Addison, montenegrin, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#255344 12/07/11 09:46 AM
Nigel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear all,

Some years ago, when I was deeply involved in old Pentax cameras, there was considerable interest in collecting data on individual cameras in one central location, available to everyone.

Since someone had to do it, and I had the necessary skills, I set up the online Pentax Screwmount Database Project. This was very popular and we collected data on several thousand cameras and lenses. I have now moved on and responsibility for maintaining the database has passed to another enthusiast.

However, I now find myself in the same kind of situation with both me and other people looking for information to date their Miroku/Charles Daly shotguns. I have just bought a 20-bore Miroku model 500 SxS, and it's very difficult to work out its age.

So, I have a plan! If Miroku/Miroku-made Charles Day and Montgomery Ward SxS owners are prepared to share information, particularly serial numbers and dates of purchase, we would be in a better position to date our shotguns.

I know that many of us didn't buy our guns new, but if someone says "I bought no.123456 new in 1969" and someone else says "I bought no. 234567 new in 1976" then that begins to give us a timeframe to work on.

I have created a database ("the Miroku SxS Project") at http://www.utting.org/miroku-index.html with links to a data input form and a data viewing form. At the moment, it contains data for one Miroku - mine! It would be great to see more.

I'm making this available as a resource for Miroku owners. So far it's cost me the grand sum of $3.98 to set up, and if fellow Miroku users want to make use of it, then I'll be very happy. If not, then nothing lost.

Take a look at the web pages. I'm not asking people give me their personal data if they don't want to.

Let me know what you think. If you think it' a good idea, please pass this message on to other groups and message boards. The more data we collect the more useful it will be.

Thanks,
Nigel.
The Miroku SxS Project (http://www.utting.org/miroku-index.html)

P.S. My name is Nigel, and I live in the UK. have been shooting since 1966 and working in & around IT since 1980. I have written many shooting-related magazine articles, and a selection are online at http://www.utting.org/shooting-index.html

Last edited by Nigel; 12/07/11 01:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nigel,

I think this is a great idea ... the "Browning collectors" don't really accept the Miroku/Brownings as a collectable here in the US and any real info on these great shotguns is very hard to come by !!!

Miroku supplied not only Charles Daly, but Montgomery Ward here in the US .... Ward sold a very nice DT, Vent Rib, Extractor version of the Miroku in both 20 and 12, with a stainless receiver (model 350A and 351A)... great guns !!!

Good luck and I'll be posting info soome !!!

Be Safe All, Jimmy B.

Nigel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Jimmy,

OK, I am very happy to include Miroku-made Montgomery Ward SxS guns as well Miroku-made Charles Daly guns and plain vanilla Mirokus. I have amended the data input form to include them.

I see they my first line of user-submitted data has arrived. Thanks, John!

Nigel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nigel, since Miroku is still very much in business, have you tried contacting them to see if they will supply SN data by year for their guns? Seems a pretty basic question, but I'd think there's a good chance they would have information that might help you.

Not that you'd want to take on an additional project, but I'd guess there'd likely be equal interest in information on SKB side by sides. I've never seen anything out there allowing one to date them based on the SN.

Last edited by L. Brown; 12/07/11 09:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a 12 ga Daly 500 with a 400,000+ serial number; way higher than the Dalys. It didn't have the 500 banner like Daly 500s do on the side of the receiver, but one of the barrels was roll stamped Daly 500.

Through looking around, I found that that high of a number was the regular Miroku 500 gun. One can only imagine what the story is behind that gun.

Nigel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

2holer,

My Miroku 500 has a serial number over 410,000. Looks as though your Daly may have been simply numbered as part of Miroku's overall sequence?

Nigel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nigel--My Miroku, which I think came from the European market (marked Miroku only, not Daly) is SN 424945. If I remember to ask, I can verify whether it was a Euro market gun. To arrive here in the States marked Miroku only, it'd almost have to be from Europe, or else perhaps something someone in the military brought back from Japan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, If its the one you got from me it was 1st retailed in Sweden.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nigel, sent you the data from mine. My serial number is alot lower than those posted: 189707. I have no idea when it was bought new, I got it in a trade about 10 years ago, the fellow I got it from obtained it in a trade too. All I can say it's a great little 20.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a Daly 500 20 ga #194738 and a 12 ga 188786. The Daly that had the roll stamped barrel was 456326

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.