March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham

...Gun proofing reflects the philosophical divide between the US and Europe on the regulation of risks generally. In Europe, there is risk until proven otherwise. In the US, there is no risk until it is proven....

I believe Tony's example of the Clarke barrel failing within a few rounds of being proofed is very telling. The gun was proven otherwise, but the proof house was very quick to blame the shooter. Why not skip the middle man and his fees and just blame the shooter. The fellow that picks up the gun, loads and fires it should be responsible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Under NO circumstances should we encourage the federal government to "help" us any more than they already do!!

N.R.A lifer
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suggested this last year . I also get asked to sleeve guns ,welded joints ,bored up to .736" no proof and not marked sleeved . I can only guess this to "keep " the gun "original" . Not the machinations of some unscrupulous con man . I dont.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That an American, living in America, presumably a supporter of the Republic and who also owns a gun should even contemplate for one second such an idea gives me a pain in my brain. For f##k sake, don't we have enough of "our betters" telling us what to do? In NJ you have to be approved by the State Police to even buy a gun and I know some States have equally silly laws. Yeah, just what we need, some douche bag telling you that you have to have your firearm tested and approved. Not many subjects provoke me to profanity, this is one.
nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

To intentionally steer this topic in a completely different direction as some people are starting to get really worked up over this, of course I dont blame them, but why has not someone in someplace living in New Jersey taken their stupid a$$ laws to Federal court. I would think that asking for permission to own a long gun from a state bureau would definitely violate someones constitutional rights.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aside from the big brother aspect, how would you apply proof, retroactively to the millions of guns floating around America? You can't put the manure back in the horse.

I have to imagine establishing a proof house must have been deliberated by early congress'. Could make for an interesting article for enterprising writer.

More than anything, I imagine folks here want protection from dealers selling a shotgun with thin or otherwise unsafe barrels. Only two ways to do that, get a written statement from the dealer that states the minimum wall thickness 3-9" from the breech, 4 inches from the muzzle, and the thinnest point between. Or, a simple, written, no questions asked, return period and the buyer can have the barrels measured elsewhere.

I doubt a proof house would catch guns that had been artfully humped into something else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ben, proof would not be applied "retroactively" any more than it was when proofhouses and proofing were first required in European countries. It would apply only to new guns, or to guns undergoing alterations (such as lengthening of chambers) that would require reproof in countries that do have proofhouses.

Right now, we have gunsmiths who solve the "problem" of short-chambered guns by boring them out to 2 3/4", sometimes without marking the new chamber length--or the fact that the gun has been altered. As Buzz pointed out, there are a whole lot of Americans outside of our little clique here who do not realize that the solution to shooting 2 3/4" shells in a 2 1/2" gun is not punching the chamber and then feeding it a steady diet of American factory ammo. I can verify that fact, because long ago and far away, I was part of that group. So there are some reasons why we should do business differently than we now do it. If, after all, the govt is going to license barbers--for example--then should it be all that unreasonable that they also license gunsmiths, or somehow exercise some control over practices which can result in danger to the user of the gun in question? SAAMI works well enough to establish standards for ammunition, and for the proof of new guns by American manufacturers. Where the system falls apart is that nothing happens once a gun has left the factory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wait a minute, Larry. In Britain and Europe the proof laws apply to all firearms, not just shotguns, so the implications of bringing proof laws into the USA would be far reaching indeed. It would have to be at the federal level because the states could never be coerced into all passing similar rules and establishing 50 proof houses. How would it be enforced? If you want to sell a shotgun to a friend will you first have to have it proved? Perhaps some fool has punched the chambers before you got it, now what do you do? I say, the few freedoms we have left should be guarded. We don't need Dudley Dorights telling us how to live our lives. That Government is best which governs least. Sometimes I swear there are still a lot of Tories lurking in the underbrush wanting to bring back kings and queens and other assorted trash.
nial

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns here are exempt from consumer protection legislation. Leave it that way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a fundamentaly dumb idea. I've never heard of a shotgun blowing up that wasn't obstructed, in which case proof wouldn't have helped anyway.

Proof houses were Tax cherries for the government to pluck. We certainly don't need additional taxes on our gun owning citizens.

Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.