April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jeremy Pearce, NCTarheel, Jimmy W, canvasback, DaveB, battle, 1 invisible), 1,021 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254571 12/02/11 08:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just returned from a pretty good dove shoot we had this afternoon. Usually, well always actually I'm the only guy on the field with a sxs. A few collectors around here, but not many. Almost no shooters.

Today I was shooting a hammergun I bought from one of our guys in Hawaii on our for sale forum a few months ago. Its a "Symond's Keeper Gun" with the name E. Reece and Son, Christchurch on the sides. Birmingham proofs undoubtedly a low grade gun built for export to the colonys.

Surprisingly, while I was halfway across the field picking up a bird I'd wounded down, another shooter exclaimed that my hammergun was just like the one the guy next to him was shooting. I had to investigate. The other shooter was an old friend of mine who I had no idea had an interest in old doubles. He said he was shooting his because he knew I'd be there shooting some "odd old gun".

When I walked up to investigate, he was standing there with a badly bleeding trigger finger. He was indeed shooting a hammergun. He said the gun had been failing to fire with the left barrel and when he just tried it again, it shot without him having a good hold; thus the scraped and bloody finger.

I asked if I could take a look at his gun and let him examine mine. He said his was an old gun his dad had had forever and which the dad had picked up in a pawn shop. It sported the ominous W. Richards stamp on the locks and twist barrels with a cross pin hookup for the fore-end. The barrels were horribly off face and I didn't wonder why the left barrel was failing to fire. The stock was broken all round at the wrist and I was surprised it had not fallen apart in his hand with the production 12ga loads he was shooting.

When I dis-assembled the gun I showed my friend the Belgian proofs and explained all about the $5.00 hardware store imports from the last part of the 19th century with knock-off names meant to fool the unwary into thinking they were buying high quality guns, Westley Richards in this case. He was interested when I told him about the availability of Poly Wad and RST low pressure loads. I also told him I wouldn't fire his old double in the condition it was in with any shotshell.

He asked about repairs/renovation of his father's old double and I explained that it could be done, but he'd spend way more money than his gun would ever be worth. He seemed interested when I told him he could replace it with something like a dependable Husqvarna 51 or 52 model for about $500 bucks and that he'd be way better off and safer to boot.

It occurrred to me that every single thing I told the guy was what I had picked up here over the last 13 or 14 years of listening when you guys post. Thanks, and maybe we have a new 'recruit' to our hobby...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

You did a good deed Geo. and probably saved the man some future bodily harm......with factory shells in that thing....

Good Job, hat's off to you.........

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, the name W. Richards or just Richards was used by both American and Belgian impostors trying to play on name.

The original W. Richards of Liverpool and Westley Richards of London both made best guns with equal frequency. It is likely the forgers were playing off both brands good will since W. Richards had a good name for most of the 19th century and Westley came into his own slightly later.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.