April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (KY Jon, Mike Harrell), 172 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ben Thayer
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Re guns sleeved by Merrington . . . I don't think there's much question that he does good work. But he also does not stamp them "sleeved". Good work + not marked sleeved can = potential deception down the line, when the current owner parts company with the gun. If a gun is sleeved, especially "invisibly" so, it ought to be marked sleeved. As required by the proof laws in the UK.

Originally Posted By: buzz
I couldn't agree with Larry's sentiment on this issue more.

If that's the case, y'all should take up a collection and send me and my guns to the London proof house, I'll take pictures. LVI, Philly, and Newark are the most convenient airfields for me.

Thanks!

Not quite sure how that pertains to the question at hand, Ben. If an American gunsmith sleeves a gun, why shouldn't he then mark it "sleeved"--since that's the standard in the country where the practice was invented, and since it will lessen the possibility of fraud, when the gun is sold at some later date?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ben Thayer
Re guns sleeved by Merrington . . . I don't think there's much question that he does good work. But he also does not stamp them "sleeved". Good work + not marked sleeved can = potential deception down the line, when the current owner parts company with the gun. If a gun is sleeved, especially "invisibly" so, it ought to be marked sleeved. As required by the proof laws in the UK.

Originally Posted By: buzz
I couldn't agree with Larry's sentiment on this issue more.

If that's the case, y'all should take up a collection and send me and my guns to the London proof house, I'll take pictures. LVI, Philly, and Newark are the most convenient airfields for me.

Thanks!

Not quite sure how that pertains to the question at hand, Ben. If an American gunsmith sleeves a gun, why shouldn't he then mark it "sleeved"--since that's the standard in the country where the practice was invented, and since it will lessen the possibility of fraud, when the gun is sold at some later date?

Between this and the proof house thread you sound like a jilted lover or remorseful buyer laugh

Different steels polish and rust differently, while the joint may be indiscernible, in good light, the different steels are. To make a sleeved gun truly fraud-able requires an additional step or two wink My humble sidelock would hardly be worth the effort being it has the dreaded single trigger that only functions perfectly when I hand it to someone. The damascus flats are a dead giveaway on the old gun.

Sleeving my guns made them safer, not less so. If you are inferring that by not stamping the barrels that I am attempting to deceive someone, I take exception to your remarks and demand fisticuffs or axe handles (your choice) as means of satisfaction, as my reputation is surely less tarnished than yours.

Should I ever decide to submit the guns for re-proof I'll be glad to have the flats stamped SLEEVED Until then, the guns are in America, and owned by an honest, law abiding American. I feel no compulsion to submit to any Crown or Company of Gunmakers. We fought a war to end that crap over 200 years ago.

Jim

Last edited by Ben Thayer; 12/08/11 11:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not jilted or remorseful at all. I've owned two sleevers, both Brit, and both PROPERLY MARKED as sleeved. Falls in the same category as any other significant modification to the gun. You lengthen chambers, then stamp the @#$%^% gun that it's now 2 3/4" vs 2 1/2", or 3" vs 2 3/4". Why are people afraid to tell the truth? Shotguns, if properly cared for, will outlive their current owners. Somewhere down the line, the next owner may be less scrupulous, or the next buyer less knowledgeable and less likely to spot a sleeved gun. You're mixing two threads here, but no need to submit it to anyone under our current system in this country. Appropriately marking whatever modification was made means that there's no misunderstanding about what's been done to the gun.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.