April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, ClapperZapper, skeettx, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 995 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Top lever opening had been out for almost 10 years...what I see is a gun that was basically a design failure

Just like all those hammer guns that continued to be made after internal hammers were introduced . . . .

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The hammer gun was not a design failure...it's stood the test of time.

I figure Lang was just too cheap to pay the Royalty to use the Scott top lever and thought he could design something better....The under lever like on the Lang was like'n to a fart in a whirlwind.

Check the first picture of his later Lang from what little I can see the barrel extension appears to be for a Scott screw grip action ?

Originally Posted By: Ben Thayer

SLE ST 12ga Delivered 1902

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The hammer gun was not a design failure...it's stood the test of time

The gun in question apparently still opens and closes and shoots - that would indicate it has stood the test of time too.

Dig's website has a gallery of actions, many of which are "design failures" by Brit makers who preferred to use their own design than pay royalties on others patents. Actions Gallery

Now Lang's Vena Contracta - that could be labeled a "design failure."

Sidelock
Sidelock

The lang looks like a Scott ? More than likely it was made by Webley and Scott . As was the Vena Contracta .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Quote:
The hammer gun was not a design failure...it's stood the test of time

The gun in question apparently still opens and closes and shoots - that would indicate it has stood the test of time too.

What I meant by design failure and standing the test of time has nothing do with the gun still functioning....the design didn't stand the test of time and was basically unwanted by the gun trade.

Examples that did...the W&C Scott top lever and Purdey double under-bolt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good

Sleeving, in theory, is a very straightforward procedure. Especially when cosmetics are not a priority.

ben: nice job...who did the work?

It's a Linder Daly I stumbled upon at Guns International

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

It's a crazy old gun from early on in the period of transition to hammerless guns. It's certainly understandable how it's significance could fly right over the head of someone like JoE

12ga Trigger plate action delivered 1880

Top lever opening had been out for almost 10 years...what I see is a gun that was basically a design failure.

Sorry if it flew right over the head of someone like BeN.

So any gun that doesn't have a top lever is a "failure"?

Interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I disagree that because the design did not stand the test of popularity or even mechanical excellence that it is a failure.

If that were true then guns, then any design not still made today could implicitly be tripe. Further, hammer guns and alike would be passe.

The reality is that designs that either did not succeed because of function, fashion, manufacturing cost, etc can still be a true pleasure to own and shoot.

It would be poor sportmanship to belittle another's treasure.

I learned young to respect other's dogs and guns. The best shot I have ever seen (and best fly caster too) shot a very worn remington 11. The best pair guns I ever saw scored a 12 at sporting clays, though the guy shooting them was true gentleman and even let me shoot a few clays too. Both situations are good memories and I am better or them.

Last edited by old colonel; 12/07/11 11:59 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
It would be poor sportmanship to belittle another's treasure.

Unfortunately, some here actually consider that to be sport.

Quote:
the design didn't stand the test of time and was basically unwanted by the gun trade.

How many guns that have been profiled in the DGJ would qualify as "design failures" under this definition? Certainly all those 1870s guns Dig profiled last spring would have to be dismissed out of hand as design failures. Take that 34-bore William Ford with the trigger guard activated Purdey bite - what a POS!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel

It would be poor sportsmanship to belittle another's treasure.

In order to be belittled or have the gun "run down" there would have to be some sort of existing delusion of grandeur or expectation of value on my part. I know this gun well having owned it since 1999, it's been applauded and cursed (sometimes in the same sentence), by some of the best in the business wink

As has been the case on this board since it's early days, there are those who (over) romanticize their purchases, those who feel the need to "run down" every gun that doesn't fit their ideal, and them that parrot cliches like "it's no Purdey", "a 'proper' gun must have two triggers", "shame they ______". It's all old hat for me cool

As to j0e's comments, I take them with a light heart, as they can spark an amusing discussion about complacency with what's believed to be "state of the art" v. those who strived to innovate. I suppose which camp I'm in is obvious.

As an opening shot, I'd much rather own this Woodward 450/400 "failure" than any rifle containing a Scott spindle.

photo poached from Roscoe Stephenson's site

Last edited by Ben Thayer; 12/07/11 08:44 AM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.