March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AZMike, jcn, battle, Jim H., Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 831 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I realize your answer will depend on WHAT you hunt, and on HOW your gun works.

But what I'd like to know is the safest realistic procedure for hunting with a combination gun (or drilling: I assume the uses are about the same and the problems could be similar).

I have four combination guns, all O/Us: a no-name Suhl O/U 16x6.35x52R (.25-35), two Savage/Valmet (Finnish) 2400s (12 over .222R and 12 over .308WCF), and a Savage Model 24D .22WRM over .410.

These guns, except the 24, are used for hunting when bird and big game seasons overlap, or when I'm hunting birds in a place where there are lots of varmints (12x.222).

Do you consider it safe to carry the rifle barrel loaded when you are very likely to have to make a quick shot at upland game with the shotgun barrel? I don't, but would like to know what others do.

What worries me is that I normally carry a double shotgun, very often a Savage/Valmet 333, which has "controls" just like the 2400: SST with the selector in the trigger blade and the trigger is automatic--if you have the rifle barrel loaded and pull the trigger twice, the rifle barrel will be discharged. That possibility kinda scares me when I'm hunting quail in close cover like we often do.

The other combos aren't as likely to have this problem: the Suhl gun has double triggers to select barrels, and the little Savage has a selector button which requires conscious manipulation to select the rifle barrel. But with the Savage/Valmets, it would be very easy to fire both barrels inadvertently, since they are so like my similar double barrel shotguns, and with quail you have to shoot FAST.

Is this one reason most classic combos have two triggers? Anybody else dealt with this problem? How?

Last edited by Mike A.; 11/13/11 12:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Mike,

I use the Valmet 412 most often. Always both the shotgun barrel and rifle are loaded. The shotgun load depends on what is being hunted.

All my Valmet 412's have double triggers. Which makes barrel selection very easy....

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug, I think double triggers are a great idea, too. Unfortunately, my Valmets have just the one.....

I don't have a problem when I'm hunting deer or pigs or little varmints only. Then I also keep both barrels loaded; pig loading is a .308 under a Brennecke slug; varmint loading is a .222R under a load of "Dead Coyote."

It's when I'm hunting "birdznmaybedeer" that I feel like I might have a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt a habitat that supports a lot of deer and turkey, when hunting them I load both barrels of my combination gun. when hunting birds (upland) I load only the shot barrel. I think it's too easy to make mistake when a covey flushes.

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree. One's "muscle memory" sort of takes over when the quail go up, and what my muscles tend to remember is "pull the trigger twice if you have two clean shots"!

Sidelock
Sidelock

In truth, it's tough for me to hunt both small and large game, for the simple reason that if I want to see a deer, I'd best not blast away at the other offerings. Once I have given up on the deer, I may jump shoot ducks or something else, at which case I will unload the rifle barrel. I might reload it if I want to call predators later on...Steve

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, guys. I think this confirms my suspicions that my single trigger combination guns are just "two nice single shots" unless you are big game or varmint hunting exclusively (My Valmet 12x.308's shotgun barrel shoots pretty close to the crosshairs at close range, good enough for a finisher with a slug if needed, and I know where the shotgun barrel on the 12x.222 shoots Dead Coyote in case I get one close-in).

Mike Armstrong

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.