March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gunning Bird, Dave Weber, FlyChamps, ksauers1, 3 invisible), 287 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Guzz
Unregistered
Guzz
Unregistered

As I understand it or, least what has been told to me, installing claw mounts on a double rifle involves stripping off the top rib, fitting the mounts to match the countours of the barrels , regulating and silver soldering in place and then cutting/refitting the rib and reblueing. All pretty much straight forward in my mind but I have a question about the regulation part. I am assuming that this means to make the mounts exactly centered but am not sure. Has any one hee ever done this or had it done? Thanks for any comments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The ones I have seen had the rib notched or dovetailed while in place, never heard of anyone taking the rib off to install a scope mount.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ditto

Sidelock
Sidelock

The claw front mount is usually fitted into a simple tapered dovetail thats cut into the upper rib and is tapped sideways via small hammer blows or better taps, to the required central position, so it will never come loose - then the rear spring hook mount is added by various methods such as silver solder or screws and finally windage adjustment is achieved using the upper part of the rear claw mount using contra rotating screws.
Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dovetail will work well on an over and under where you can easily get to the dovetail to tab the mounts in sideways, or if side by side the Rib is quite high. Much more of a problem if the rib is more of an English style sunken concave rib that is lower then barrels - you would n't be able to cut a dovetail into the rib to drive in the bases. You would probably then require some sort of bases that could be let into / sweated onto the sunken rib. If you have a look through the Eaw or Recknagel catalogue you can see all the different types of bases that they do.

Heym SR20

Sidelock
Sidelock

EAW have an online PDF catalogue but Im not sure if it is in English.
Here in Germany they only supply the gun trade and no personal sales.
Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

New England Custom Gun (one of Dave's sponsors) sells and installs EWA mounts as well as claw mounts. I would contact them for some solid info.
Frank

Boxlock
Boxlock

Another option might be to add a convex bottomed rail or rib to the existing sunken rib, with screws and perhaps solder. The screws located so that they are concealed by the bases installed into the new upper rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a rail that I bought from AKAH that has an 11mm dovetail built in, with a recoil stop on the front. It has concave sides designed to be soldered to two double barrels. One would have to cut out a piece of rib to install it. There is a myriad of 11mm mounts in Europe. Many .22 rimfire rings will work also.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.