May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (claydog, Pwog, Roundsworth, Jem Finch, 2 invisible), 275 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,565
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used single shot rifles for hunting all my life, starting with a Stevens Model 44 "Ideal" in .22 WRF that I got for cleaning out a neighbor's sheepshed in 1952 when I was 9.

I prefer the original Win 1885 High Wall and the Ruger #1 for big stuff and the Win Low Wall and T-C Contender Carbine for little stuff. The T-C is butt ugly but shoots like a dream and is easy to take down, clean, and switch barrels. Right now I have only one, but it has a .22WRM barrel, a .410 barrel, and a .25-35 WCF barrel.

REAL "stalking rifles": break-open Germanic single shots like the Merkel are just too expensive for me. The Ruger #1 is an excellent and economical choice, made in USA. How many good products can claim that any more?

Mike Armstrong

Last edited by Mike A.; 11/22/11 01:32 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took a great 5x5 Whitetail buck last week with my favorite stalking rifle, my H&H falling block built on a trade farquharison in .30 super. The gun is deadly accurate and powerful with ballistics quite similar to a .30-06. Pictures to follow.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

C?Z brno has a stalking rifle in 308 or 3006 german styling at around 1600.00.good job Steve, i really like the 30 super mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been hunting with single shots since 1986, either a BPC rifle or muzzleloader, with the occasional hunt with one of my douible rifles. I've never experienced any difficulty or lack of confidence in my one shot. Sure has been a lot of game fallen to my rifles.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Up until my eyes got so bad I couldnt shoot open sights anymore, I used a Ruger #3 in 45/70 as my elk rifle. We hunt in a rough area and shots are seldom more than 50-60 yards. I packed a 45/120 Sharps for a while as well. I shot a good number of deer with it around the home place. One shot, witnessed by my boys,516 yards off sticks with a cast bullet. Held on the nose, broke the brisket...Tang Peep..Scoped .416 these days..

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 2 that I use, the first is a No. in 45-70 with a old Redfield 1.75x5, has been a very productive rig. The second is and old Savage 219 in 30-30, for sights I installed a Wms. Guide Receiver and a fiber optic front sight, this combo has taken a number of deer too. Alas, but none this year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you still have your #3 LD? I would never give mine up. About 20 years ago I had thought of having mine chamber reamed for 45/90 so I would have more powder capacity. I never did it and I'm glad. Recoil with handloads is murder just the way it is. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If "reverse snobbery" isn't a problem the H&R/NEF "Handi-rifle" might be worthy of consideration. The standard version, in 30-30 caliber offers a nice 7-pound package that carries easily and offers pretty good accuracy and flexibility with great carrying characteristics. The same rifle can also still be obtained in 45-70 and 50 S&W but those calibers in such a light rifle might be "too much gun" for some folks.

Another worthy "stalking rifle" is the "Buffalo Classic" version. This 32-inch barreled, 8-pound beauty has a fine balance and is capable of excellent accuracy. It is also rated for 1895 Marlin-class loads. This fact should make it "big medicine" for anything that walks or crawls in the Western Hemishere.

H&R single-shot guns can be great "customizers". I had the butt stock of mine reshaped to a Prince of Wales grip configuration and also had the "Schnabbel" on the forestock refined a bit. With its new, "darkish" stock finish the rifle's stock might not pass for a custom-grade walnut masterpiece but it is "pretty", all the same. A gunsmith's judicious trigger stoning and adjustments resulted in a pretty respectable "hunting trigger", too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My #3 45/70 was stolen some time ago with 70 other guns, only one ever recovered. Interesting that another of the stolen guns was a Savage 219! This one had 2 Bbls, .410 and 22 hornet. Was a special order I think. Cheekpiece, BT forend, some engraving nice wood..My #3 was real kicker, possibly because I tried to make it act like a .458...I Broke 2 buttstocks, Ruger said they wouldnt fix it any more..so I backed off to "normal" loads..The H&R single shots, aside from being really ugly, perform very well..

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have my sympathy. A miscreant helped himself to my guns a few years ago, too. There was a real sense of violation. The guns were ultimately replaced, more or less, but the feeling has never quite gone away.

I suppose that "ugly is as ugly does" when it comes to H&R single-shots. My "customized" piece looks quite nice IMHO and the "Buffalo Classic" and the trap gun can be at least reasonably attractive guns "from the get-go". Who knows? Perhaps in each "ugly" H&R is a "pretty" H&R stuggling to get out!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.