March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently purchased one of the dubious quality Sabatti Double Rifles in 9.3x74r. I looked over the rifle closely and it does not appear to have the issues of the crown and bore that some of them did.

The regulation target shows the right barrel 2" diagonal up and right of the left barrel at 50 yards point of impact. I believe it was regulated initially with Hornady 286gr SP ammo.

Questions:

Will following any sort of break in and cleaning regimen result in further accuracy on such a gun?

If I don't wish to handload, should I buy 4-5 different types of 285gr/286gr ammunition to see if any ammo provides better results or am I still likely to have similar performance with factory ammunition in a DR?

The dealer that sold it to me gave me a 100% return or exchange policy on this if the trajectory's cross or if it doesn't shoot well. In short, at what point should I say "I don't like it, give me another one" and rinse/repeat the process?

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can get a 2-3" group with both barrels @ 100yds it's shooting extremely good. It's going to depend on what you can tolerate foe accuracy.The Sabattis are supposed to be regulated with Hornadys 286. You can duplicate this load easily with hand loads. But I doubt that it'll get better with other brands, but who knows?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rook I think that you really need to shoot it at 100 yds and then make a decision. Like Mike says 2" to 3" at 100yds is really good.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since the included regulation target is 2.5" apart from left shot to right shot @ 50 yards, I'm going to assume that the current regulation will yield inferior to 5" at 100 yards *unless* with proper break in I actually shoot better than Sabatti's regulator does under similar conditions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try it and see what happens. 5" is acceptable at 100 yds IMO.
BUT there have been a couple of times that the targets from the factory are suspect.. Figures don't lie but liars figure, if you know what I mean.

I did get a factory target with my Chapuis and it's as good as it shows.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents, you've been extremely helpful. I wanted to ask a follow up question too. The low-light hi-vis sights on my gun are absolutely disgusting.

A. How much would it cost to have a 2 blade folding leaf and new front dove tail sight installed and regulated at 50 and 100 yards?

B. Who would you endorse in the lower-48 states to do such work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd run her thru the paces before I'd change sights.It may not shoot well enough for you. JJ at Champlains in Oklahoma has done sights on these before. He is a world class `smith.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys,

If this was the 50 yard regulation pattern from my double rifle, would you exchange it for another gun with the hopes of a better pattern?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup.cfm?id=100190134&num=1&pic=100190134-1-L.jpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

That would depend on if they will close at 100yds. You have to shoot it at 100 as that's where it's regulated for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

YES! The holes ,ideally should be side by side about an 1 to 1 1/2" apart at 50 yds. Just think what a 100 yd target is going to look like. 1 hole 5" higer and 4" to the right? I didn't see where they even mentioned if they are crossing either. IE; left on left and right on right..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you plan on using it to hunt, and if so, what game will you be hunting?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes. Boar and Deer. Maybe black bear or elk.

Someday hopefully plains game in Africa.

Obviously much depends on gun accuracy and how close the game is. I understand this to be a 100 yard gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's regulated good it's a lot more than 100 yds.. A friend popped a moose at 280 yds lazered with iron sights using a Chapuis. Don't underestimate this caliber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
Hat off to your friend. I had a bit of trouble getting my caribou at 240 yds - using a scope.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Time's a wastin'! Better to settle the trade-in now before the store thinks its a done deal or carps about handling marks, restocking, etc. If that still small voice is talking to you, play it safe and check out another. Maybe it will be a tack driver. You could spend a lot on an african licence only to have a marginal shot placement lose you the dollars on a lost animal.Steve

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, it didn't shoot any better when I tried it.

What do you guys think of this target assuming the shots don't cross? This was the one I was thinking of requesting in exchange:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup.cfm?id=100182080&num=4&pic=100182080-4-L.jpg

There were others that had good patterns on the regulation targets, only about 3" low of bullseye. The picture above had a better pattern but it is about 1.5" left of bullseye. Should that matter? I assumed that I can have the rear iron sight adjusted to correct for a good pattern that is putting the pattern 1.5"-2" left.

Thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It that one doesn't cross try it and see. Is it from someone that will give return privilege? If not I'd try anther one from the same place you got the one you have now.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, they are from Cabelas and they have a simple exchange policy. I've ordered the one I showed you as a replacement...we'll see

If they cross, they'll go back too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks a heck of a lot better than the first one. Congrats...I am without a double rifle at this time. Steve

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah. Cabelas is actually pretty good about these sort of things, particularly with the Sabattis since they had so many that got sent back defective early on. (dremel tool used on barrels for regulation) All the bad Sabattis were rebarreled but the reputation remains.

I'll try this one and hope it patterns well and that the regulation doesn't cross.

When I have my results I'll provide feedback and maybe an opinion on the Sabattis. Thus far, I'm impressed in many ways and frustrated in others...just for different reasons than all the pros and cons that have been spread around this forum.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
Since the included regulation target is 2.5" apart from left shot to right shot @ 50 yards, I'm going to assume that the current regulation will yield inferior to 5" at 100 yards *unless* with proper break in I actually shoot better than Sabatti's regulator does under similar conditions.

All this is assuming that the right bullet hole is from the right barrel and the left bullet hole is from the left barrel which the targets for the Sabattis doesnt indicate!

If that target is, in fact, a true indication of the right and left barrels being side by side at 50 yds, and the rifle was properly regulated the centers of both barrels individual groups will remain side by side to infinity.

Of course like any other rifle one barrels group will get larger as it moves farther down range, but the center of that barrels group will remain the same. What this means in a double rifle is, when the double rifle is properly regulated the center of each barrels individual group will remain on its own side of the aiming point which is just as it is on the rifle its self, the sight half way between the right and left centers of the bores of both barrels! In other words the properly regulated double rifle shooting properly loaded cartridges the centers of each barrels individual groups will remain parallel to infinity! The shot centers are not supposed to cross at any distance! Again in other words if both barrels are hitting the same hole at fifty yards or any other range the rifle is crossing and not regulated properly, or not shooting ammo that is correct for the regulation! The composite group of a properly regulated rifle will be a slightly egg shaped with the aiming point at the center windage wise!

Double rifle barrels are not regulated to any given range, they are regulated to shoot side by side no matter the range! The statement that a double rifle is regulated at 50 yards, or 100 yards only means the the fixed sights are cut ot be dead on at that range, just like a single barreled rifle with fixed iron sights they are cut to hit point of aim for windage, and elevation at the range engraved on the sight, with hold over for longer range and hold under for short range. It has nothing to do with both barrels hitting one hole, because they do not, they shoot side by side on each side of the aiming point at any range!

The above misconception that double rifles cross at the sight's regulated range is the reason people think a double rifle is useless if shot past the sight's zero distance! A double rifle is as usefull as any rifle with simular chambering and iron sights at any range! I assure you that you certainly do not want to stand at 300 yds thinking I wouldn't be able to hit you with any double rifle I own!
.................................................. smile

Last edited by MacD37; 11/08/11 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling

MacD37 >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Cape Buffalo, and Double Rifles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.