Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: salopian
BUT ! Exactly what is the point? We don't use 1 1/4 Number 5's for clayshooting and I would have thought that at 130 yards the pellets would not have sufficient energy to kill a bird. So should we really be doing this in public, in front of the League Against Cruel Sports members?
I would prefer watching George Digweed win the British Open with 117 ex 120.Now THAT was a shooting display.

What the heck is your point? League Against Cruel Sports? This was a clay target, for gosh sakes! Lighten up, salopian, this is exhibition shooting. Read, entertainment. There doesn't HAVE to be a point. This had absolutely nothing to do with shooting game.

SRH

Lack of respect and cruelty towards a clay target is down right disgusting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can see your point, sj, but, if it is valid how did he break every one of the birds approaching the 130 yd. distance with no more than two tries, then broke the 130 yd. bird on the first try. If your 10% idea is right, George is one very lucky man.
I think the 10% figure must be off by a lot. SRH

130 yards is the length of a football field + both end zones + an additional 10 yds.
Hang a clay pigeon up & carefully measure off 130 yds. Take a full choke 12ga using 1¼ oz #5s & fire away. Report back what percentage you break. Hang it in the center of something about 6 feet square which will show hits. tell us how many hits are in that 36 SqFt area "After" you figure out how high to hold to center on it. This would make for some very interesting statistics I think.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller: I'll do that tommorrow,if it aint raining..I have to use a Lefever 10, tho, I have nothing else that throws that load handy..AND I think we have to consider maybe that the clay bird has to be edgeways?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I can see your point, sj, but, if it is valid how did he break every one of the birds approaching the 130 yd. distance with no more than two tries, then broke the 130 yd. bird on the first try. If your 10% idea is right, George is one very lucky man.
I think the 10% figure must be off by a lot. SRH

130 yards is the length of a football field + both end zones + an additional 10 yds.
Hang a clay pigeon up & carefully measure off 130 yds. Take a full choke 12ga using 1¼ oz #5s & fire away. Report back what percentage you break. Hang it in the center of something about 6 feet square which will show hits. tell us how many hits are in that 36 SqFt area "After" you figure out how high to hold to center on it. This would make for some very interesting statistics I think.

Miller, I wouldn't expect many to break hanging from a string. Clay targets depend a great deal on centrifugal force to help "sling the clay apart". The rotational force imparted by the trap makes your scenario not applicable, IMO.

I'm not being defensive here, quite the contrary. I am also amazed at the shooting he did on this video. But, the fact remains, he did it! That is, if we can believe the crowds reaction.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
Miller: I'll do that tommorrow,if it aint raining..I have to use a Lefever 10, tho, I have nothing else that throws that load handy..AND I think we have to consider maybe that the clay bird has to be edgeways?

LD, I don't think he was breaking it on edge. The position of the trap and the motions of Digweed's gun make me think he was shooting a springing teal, with the face of the bird toward him, maybe even with the belly toward him. If it was belly toward him the bird would break much, much easier than with the domed face toward him.

Watch his second shots at a few of the birds and you can see him pulling down with his lead as the bird drops, probably nearly straight down.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Dollar,
I would be very interested in hearing the results of your trial today ,if possible. Yes the centrifugal force does assist in the clay breaking, but I am more interested in the pattern at that distance.
Stan, to answer you, a couple of years ago an article in an English magazine extolled the virtues of shooting of high pheasant shooting at 60 yards+ high, using 1 5/16 oz. number 3's& 4 shot.Have you patterned 3's & 4's at that distance?
Anyway after this article was published, everyman & his dog started blazing away at ridiculous yardages on game shoots, resulting in many wounded birds.
I have every respect for Georges ability and yes it was entertaining, but now we will have clayshooters attempting this for themselves, probably in dangerous to other users surroundings.
My point I was trying to make is that it is irresponsible to shoot at live game at such great distances, and that we cannot encounter such targets and loads at a clayshoot because it is against the rules.
George's demonstration ! Entertaining? Yes indeed, especially his commentary. Never mind the breaking clays, I couldn't see his hips.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Surely, there's some person or maybe even some large segment of people that dislike something you and I do regularly, that are postulating all the negative possibilities right now.

People need to live and let live a lot more. If we delve into other's knickers enough, we'll surely find something that we don't like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed, the centrifugal force certainly plays a part in the breaking. Modify my above post to read "See What percentage of Shots Put a Hole in the Clay".

when you do get a hole in it, push some sort of little plug in the hole & keep shooting. I think one clay is going to last a long time & you aren't even having to concern yourself with lead.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian

Stan, to answer you, a couple of years ago an article in an English magazine extolled the virtues of shooting of high pheasant shooting at 60 yards+ high, using 1 5/16 oz. number 3's& 4 shot.Have you patterned 3's & 4's at that distance?
Anyway after this article was published, everyman & his dog started blazing away at ridiculous yardages on game shoots, resulting in many wounded birds.

yOu really believe this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, the useful thing to come out of this is I can tell my Hunter Ed youngsters that hit in the eye at 130 yards with a No 5 pellet will likely blind you in that eye.
Referring to the above post, how many English game guns will handle 1 5/16 oz loads. That must be a 2 3/4" shell
Mike

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.